The Ginger Man Question #13 ~ Favorite Passages

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Ginger Man Question #13 ~ Favorite Passages

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:06 am

Did you have a favorite passage in the book?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:49 am

If I did I don't recall them as I don't have the book anymore, but my guess would be no :lol:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:55 am

I'll be out of town for a couple of days celebrating Easter with the Inlaws. But I'll leave you with one of my favorite passages (Yes, I actually had more than one. :-O )

Pg. 234. I think this one is just beautiful but bittersweet. SD is thinking this as he and Miss Frost are discussing his leaving Dublin.

“Dreaming out this sunset. Tacked up on a cross and looking down. A cradle of passive, mystifying sorrow. Flooded in tears. Never be too wise to cry. Or not take these things. Take them. Keep them safely. Out of them comes love.”

HAPPY EASTER, Noodlemantra's!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm not sure any of the passages were favorites, but I did like a couple of them.

This one on page 85, when Sebastian was going to visit Chris, is just nice. There was so much abruptness in the writing that this one stood out for me as a gentle, easy passage.

This city of al these changeling streets, old windows and bleeding hearts, and boiling black pots of tea. Her warm little room, and neat possessions, patchwork quilt and people moving in the hall. And the soft bits of rain. Going in the houses with loaves of bread and butter with maybe a touch of cheese and the chattering chilled children awake everywhere.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:08 pm

There are many descriptive passages I liked but one of my favorites is on pgs. 230-232 where Sebatian describes going to Trinity for the first time. There is actually a glimpse of him being eager to learn and the description of the college and grounds are lovely. I won't type the whole thing out but here is an excerpt:

"On my way to my tutor. Through these playing fields, flat green and velvet. How lovely with benches where I can sit watching, reading, or anything under these old trees. I think late summer is still hanging in the sky. And by these flower beds still smelling, into this pretty square where the opulent members of college live behind granite and big windows. That's for me"
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:01 pm

DITHOT, I'm SO glad you liked this passage (p 230-232). When I read today's question, this was the passage that sprang to mind, but I figured I'd never be able to find it! Thanks!!

I like this passage because it shows that S was once an eager, insecure, almost innocent young man. He's nervous. He's 'overjoyed to silence'. He's 'pleasantly willing to please'. This passage shows that S wasn't always the person we've been exposed to in the text. It made his downward spiral all the more sad for me, and added another level to his character.

I have an annoying habit of trying to see the best in all people... even S. This passage showed me that I wasn't completely wrong about him... he wasn't always the boozing good-for-nothing we'd been reading about!
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:50 am

That was a lovely passage DITHOT.

I have a few favorites, they are all bittersweet. The first I already mentioned in the women thread... the flashback to Ginny Cupper while he was making love to Marion on pg. 58:

“We were rich. So rich we could never die… Ginny was afraid of nothing. She was young and old. Her brown arms and legs swinging in wild optimism, beautiful in all their parts. She danced on the long hood of her crimson Cadillac, and watching her, I thought that God must be female.”

I also quite liked the first time SBD and Chris made love in Chapter 9... especially the ending of the chapter, which can't be quoted here.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:41 am

I'm glad you all liked that passage too, PHD and db. It was one of the few that seemed to show a bit of a different side to Sebastian.

db, that is a lovely passage at the end of Chapter 9.

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:36 pm

I like all of your choices. Liz, your choice, I am still mulling over. It takes some thinking about, but I think it is stunning. db I like what you said about the flasback being like the wave speech, and I think it is important, a clue to what has made him the way he is. When I read the question, I was annoyed with myself because I hadn't noted any favourite passages except at the start, so I skimmed through quickly yesterday, trying to find them. Not much luck, except I also chose that passage when he remembers his arrival. Here are the ones I noted at the start:
'The sun of Sunday morning up out of the sleepless sea from black Liverpool. Sitting on the rocks over the water with a jug of coffee. Down there along the harbor pier, trippers in bright colors. Sails moving out to sea. Young couples climbing the Balscaddoon Road to the top of Kilrock to search out grass and lie between the furze. A cold green sea breaking whitely along the granite coast. A day on which all things are born, like uncovered stars' p21
'Left my soul sitting on a wall and walked away, watching me and grew cold because souls are like hearts, sort of read and warm, all like a heart.' p27 There is another one somewhere, where he talks about his soul being in concrete. I'm afraid I can't find it now.
This one is from p264: ' How small we make our worlds. Gather them in, tighten them into little castles of fear.'
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:07 pm

Gosh..those last two are so beautiful,suec :cloud9: So moving and powerful....They remind me why I really love this book :cloud9: ..I don't have it with me..but I love the way he starts and finishes all the chapters..It helps put everything in perspective..encapsulates everything..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:39 pm

theresa wrote:I'm not sure any of the passages were favorites, but I did like a couple of them.

This one on page 85, when Sebastian was going to visit Chris, is just nice. There was so much abruptness in the writing that this one stood out for me as a gentle, easy passage.

This city of al these changeling streets, old windows and bleeding hearts, and boiling black pots of tea. Her warm little room, and neat possessions, patchwork quilt and people moving in the hall. And the soft bits of rain. Going in the houses with loaves of bread and butter with maybe a touch of cheese and the chattering chilled children awake everywhere.

I liked this one too. It helped me visualize the busyness of life in a city in Ireland. It's a great description of how life goes on in a city.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:32 pm

Can I quote the whole book? :grin: There are descriptions on every page that I love reading out loud...How about ''I come down martyred and mussed,feeble and fussed,heart and soul covered in cement''......Or how about..''Like to feel the end would be closing leaves of honeysuckle,pressing out a last fragrance in the night''.......There's a myriad of little gems like these. :cool: ..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:32 pm

gilly, the whole book might be a bit of a stretch but it is certainly nice to see your enthusiasm! :bounce:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Ginger Man”