Donleavy profile in Harper's Bazaar (U.K. ed.)

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

Donna B.

Donleavy profile in Harper's Bazaar (U.K. ed.)

Unread postby Donna B. » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:26 pm

“Mr. Depp is something else,” [Donleavy] says. “He’s very bright and very knowledgeable, and he has a fantastically black sense of humour.”

The quote is from a profile of JP Donleavy that appears in the May issue of Harper’s Bazaar (U.K. edition).

I’m not sure if anything in the profile is new to you, but I thought I would share it with you just the same. I was a bit surprised to come across the profile in my fashion magazine. ;-)

Click
Click

Full-page photo of Donleavy:
Click

:noodlemantra:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:56 pm

Thank you, Donna B! That was a great read! Nice pic of JD and JP too! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:29 pm

Yes that pic ought to be posted in another thread as its a pic not seen before, I assume from the party Johnny attended in New York.
Thanks Donna for the read, interesting .

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:32 pm

That's cool! :cool: Thanks for posting that, Donna B.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Donna B.

Unread postby Donna B. » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:34 pm

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked both the profile and the photo... :cool:

suec

Unread postby suec » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Thanks Donna. I shall look out for the magazine! :cool:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

part-time poet

Unread postby part-time poet » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Donna B. wrote:You're welcome! I'm glad you liked both the profile and the photo... :cool:

That's a fantastic read, Donna B. Thanks!

And while I very much enjoyed the photo of Mr. Donleavy with Johnny (taken when? this winter, but I've lost track of when that soiree was held), I found myself staring at the photograph of Donleavy as a younger man. :-O There is a certain resemblance . . .

:writer2: :smiliewithhearts:

Part-Time Poet
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.
-- J. M. Barrie

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:11 pm

part-time poet wrote:
Donna B. wrote:You're welcome! I'm glad you liked both the profile and the photo... :cool:

That's a fantastic read, Donna B. Thanks!

And while I very much enjoyed the photo of Mr. Donleavy with Johnny (taken when? this winter, but I've lost track of when that soiree was held), I found myself staring at the photograph of Donleavy as a younger man. :-O There is a certain resemblance . . .

:writer2: :smiliewithhearts:

Part-Time Poet

I had the same thought, PTP. :-O
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:54 pm

Here is the pic of Mr. Donleavy as a young man as published in the article.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:10 pm

What a hunk :-O ..and I don't mean Johnny this time :grin: :flirt: That is one beautiful picture...My son saw that pic and thought it WAS Johnny,like you say PTP.. :cool: That is a wonderful article too.Thanks so much Donna B :cool: ...You always post the most wonderful stuff :cloud9: ...Johnny's charm is so effortless..everyone seems to fall under his spell...It looks like this film is a definite goer and with Laurence Dunmore too...
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:49 am

Thank you for that Donna B, it is a very good read. :thanks!: Well this one is a definite go for Johnny, I wonder when he's planning to fit it into his schedule.... :-?

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Anna

Unread postby Anna » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:57 am

Thanks Donna. Great find. I've been reading Ginger Man but I haven't had a look at the discussion going on at ONBC. Ginger Man depresses me some way or another. Too much deprivation and drink and broken promises. I do like the style of writing. This article will certainly help me to read it with somewhat different eyes.
One minute I’m mushing along with the huskies as usual, and all of a sudden it’s global warming.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:52 am

Anna wrote:Thanks Donna. Great find. I've been reading Ginger Man but I haven't had a look at the discussion going on at ONBC. Ginger Man depresses me some way or another. Too much deprivation and drink and broken promises. I do like the style of writing. This article will certainly help me to read it with somewhat different eyes.

Anna, I hope you will check out our discussion! Many of us have had the same reaction to the story as you but the discussion is helping me understand it in a different way. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:24 pm

I'd love to see Johnny's art collection.That's one good way to endear an artist to you,it's to buy their work. :grin: ....I find it ineresting that Johnny dressed formally for this occasion,he didn't wear his casual gear. :cool: ..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “The Ginger Man”