The Ginger Man Question #12 ~ The Film

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Ginger Man Question #12 ~ The Film

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:02 am

How do you think this book will translate to film? Is there a particular passage from the book you are looking forward to in the movie?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:36 am

I really don't know, it could be interesting to see just how it works, I guess it has enough going on in it. I don't think it will appeal to anyone maybe except fans of the book maybe we have to wait and see, it depends what Johnny brings to the character.

KatieLyn

Unread postby KatieLyn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:28 am

Good morning all.

Good question DITHOT! When I was reading the book, one scene did jump out as to 'how are they going to film this'? It was the part early on when S in on the train and inadvertently exposes himself to others. Sorry that this is the first scene to come to mind....but I know that it can be done tastefully in the film.

Overall, I think that there will be many scenes where partial nudity will be a factor in filming. How do you dipict these scenes and still get across the full intentions of Donleavy with respect to the sometimes disgusting actions of S?

The one thing that I DO know, is that Johnny will bring his always present gift of creativity and eloquence to this character! I have a feeling that I will like and understand S a little more once Johnny gets into his skin!

Katie :heart2:
"I think the thing to do is enjoy the ride while you're on it"

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:30 am

KatieLyn wrote:Good morning all.

Good question DITHOT! When I was reading the book, one scene did jump out as to 'how are they going to film this'? It was the part early on when S in on the train and inadvertently exposes himself to others. Sorry that this is the first scene to come to mind....but I know that it can be done tastefully in the film.

Overall, I think that there will be many scenes where partial nudity will be a factor in filming. How do you dipict these scenes and still get across the full intentions of Donleavy with respect to the sometimes disgusting actions of S?

The one thing that I DO know, is that Johnny will bring his always present gift of creativity and eloquence to this character! I have a feeling that I will like and understand S a little more once Johnny gets into his skin!

Katie :heart2:

they might not bother to film that scene or they will do it in a subtle way, they couldn't show it :lol:

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:34 am

KatieLyn wrote: When I was reading the book, one scene did jump out as to 'how are they going to film this'? It was the part early on when S in on the train and inadvertently exposes himself to others. Sorry that this is the first scene to come to mind....but I know that it can be done tastefully in the film.

Don't worry Katie.. this was the first scene that came to my mind, too!

I did try to view the book as a movie while I was reading, and have to admit, I had a hard time making that leap much of the time. However, I have faith in Johnny, and if anyone can do it, he can!
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:01 pm

The only thing I came away with from this book is that the movie with Johnny in it, will probably make me like the book better.
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:17 pm

PhD wrote:
KatieLyn wrote: When I was reading the book, one scene did jump out as to 'how are they going to film this'? It was the part early on when S in on the train and inadvertently exposes himself to others. Sorry that this is the first scene to come to mind....but I know that it can be done tastefully in the film.

Don't worry Katie.. this was the first scene that came to my mind, too!

Me too. :lol:

Other than that scene, I'm looking forward to the affair with Miss Frost. I think Johnny will be able to make this very comical and entertaining.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Raven wrote:The only thing I came away with from this book is that the movie with Johnny in it, will probably make me like the book better.

I trust Johnny to make this a much better film than it was a book. If anyone can do it, he can. I agree with KatieLynn that Johnny will probably help me understand (or maybe even appreciate :shocked:) Sebastian.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:27 pm

I think it has huge potential. The difficulty I guess, would be with the stream of consciousness, because there is so much of it, and even with a voice-over, I think it could be hard to translate. But there could be some flashbacks and enactments.
On the plus side, while reading it, I found it extremely easy to visualise the scenes in my head. I can just see Johnny dressed as the kangaroo helping himself to a bottle in a pub and secreting it in his pouch, while the fight goes on around him. Or coming downstairs in his wife's jumper, which is unravelling up the stairs. Or falling over as he leaves the house. Or cutting up the blanket to make a jumper. And wearing Miss Frost's mac. And getting into a strop and attacking the pipe with his golfing shoes. You know how he does those gestures behind a person to show anger. And riding a bike with a black flag to follow the funeral processions. And the bit with the sheep's eyes. Oh, and lots more besides. Probably the voracious Mary demanding they return to the flat and he exclaiming, Well, really! Also, various trips to the pawnbroker with ever more ridiculous items. I don't know where to stop. I am gagging to see this film.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:59 pm

I agree with those of you that said if anyone can make us appreciate Sebastian it will be Johnny! I have been focusing on the humorous parts as well and those are the ones I am most looking forward too. I can see how Johnny will really bring those to life with his wonderful command of body language and facial expressions! I do wonder how they will handle Sebastian's treatment of Marion. :eyebrow:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:07 pm

Yes, I agree the humorous bits I can see Johnny getting his teeth into with aplomb. Perhaps some of that was what appealed to him about the book. I don't see a problem with his treatment of Marion being portrayed as written not sure about the bit at the beginning with his daughter though. I guess in some ways they could well play the humour of the whole book and not the serious aspects, could be interesting.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:27 pm

suec wrote:I think it has huge potential. The difficulty I guess, would be with the stream of consciousness, because there is so much of it, and even with a voice-over, I think it could be hard to translate. But there could be some flashbacks and enactments.
On the plus side, while reading it, I found it extremely easy to visualise the scenes in my head. I can just see Johnny dressed as the kangaroo helping himself to a bottle in a pub and secreting it in his pouch, while the fight goes on around him. Or coming downstairs in his wife's jumper, which is unravelling up the stairs. Or falling over as he leaves the house. Or cutting up the blanket to make a jumper. And wearing Miss Frost's mac. And getting into a strop and attacking the pipe with his golfing shoes. You know how he does those gestures behind a person to show anger. And riding a bike with a black flag to follow the funeral processions. And the bit with the sheep's eyes. Oh, and lots more besides. Probably the voracious Mary demanding they return to the flat and he exclaiming, Well, really! Also, various trips to the pawnbroker with ever more ridiculous items. I don't know where to stop. I am gagging to see this film.

Great examples, Suec. :cool: I'm actually beginning to look forward to this myself now. :bounce:

suec

Unread postby suec » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Liz wrote:
Great examples, Suec. :cool: I'm actually beginning to look forward to this myself now. :bounce:

Great! I hope that it is a wonderful film brewing. If I may add something else, I hope that it isn't just about the humour. I trust him, so I would expect not. But I am looking forward to the other bits too. In particular, I am looking forward to seeing him play a cad. Terry Gilliam said something about that about The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, about wanting him to take on a role that wasn't so loveable. Admittedly, a few films have rolled out since then, but I think this is a wonderful opportunity to show someone that is not likeable at times, such as SD as a father, because it is so different to what he is like himself, and to the characters he often plays.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:49 pm

I am looking forward to seeing him playing a cad as well. We saw it recently in The Libertine but I think many of us had a fondness for the Earl before the movie. I don't see that same feeling for Sebastian so I am interested to see how I feel about him after Johnny's portrayal.

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:27 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I am looking forward to seeing him playing a cad as well. We saw it recently in The Libertine but I think many of us had a fondness for the Earl before the movie. I don't see that same feeling for Sebastian so I am interested to see how I feel about him after Johnny's portrayal.

Well, that is all well and good, but let me remind you that Sheldon Jeffrey Sands was supposed to be a villian and he stole the movie away from the star and is the beloved of many. Johnny has a way of humanizing and making even the worst of characters sympathetic......

Return to “The Ginger Man”