The Ginger Man Question #12 ~ The Film

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:37 am

suec, thanks for the confirmation!! :cool: I think we were all just assuming that was the case. It's nice to know for sure! :bounce:

Charlene, I have wondered about the age difference too but Johnny seems to have a way of defying Mother Nature in that regard.
:-)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:40 am

Charlene wrote:I think I enjoyed reading the posts for this thread more than the book. Ya'll brought out the funny highlights and now I think I am looking forward to seeing what Johnny can do with the story. I just can't figure out how he is going to deal with the age factor; he may be young looking for his age (I mean Clooney is only about 3 or 4 years older, but looks 15 years older), but he can't pass for early 20's. I'm thinking that he will be a "forever" student....a guy that just keeps changing his major, dropping out and in, and here he is in his late 30's still cutting classes, etc.

I got the impression while reading that he was not that young, at least in his 30's was I wrong?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:54 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Charlene wrote:I think I enjoyed reading the posts for this thread more than the book. Ya'll brought out the funny highlights and now I think I am looking forward to seeing what Johnny can do with the story. I just can't figure out how he is going to deal with the age factor; he may be young looking for his age (I mean Clooney is only about 3 or 4 years older, but looks 15 years older), but he can't pass for early 20's. I'm thinking that he will be a "forever" student....a guy that just keeps changing his major, dropping out and in, and here he is in his late 30's still cutting classes, etc.

I got the impression while reading that he was not that young, at least in his 30's was I wrong?

I don't think it is actually said, but implied that he is in his younger than 30. Maybe it is just the impression I got. We do know that Miss Frost was in her mid 30's. And I think it was said or just implied that she was an older woman. But I think this gives Johnny enough leeway to play a Sebastian in his early 30's.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:30 pm

I believe that Sebastian was supposed to be 27.

On page 319, the letter describing the conditions of his inheritance mention that he wasn't to receive any money until he was 47. And then two pages over, on page 321:

I'm thin and worn but not yet up to selling me body to the medical colleges or landlady either. [. . .] Each time I subtract twenty-seven from forty-seven it leaves twenty. Well I've waited before.

I think he's counting the years until he can start receiving his inheritance.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:35 pm

ah yes, I remember that now. But I do remember thinking it was not going to be too much of a stretch perhaps although really he is too old unless they make him older in the film anyway.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:06 pm

theresa wrote:I believe that Sebastian was supposed to be 27.

On page 319, the letter describing the conditions of his inheritance mention that he wasn't to receive any money until he was 47. And then two pages over, on page 321:

I'm thin and worn but not yet up to selling me body to the medical colleges or landlady either. [. . .] Each time I subtract twenty-seven from forty-seven it leaves twenty. Well I've waited before.

Thanks for finding that, Theresa. :cool:

I still think he can get away with it.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:08 pm

Liz wrote:
theresa wrote:I believe that Sebastian was supposed to be 27.

Thanks for finding that, Theresa. :cool:

I still think he can get away with it.

Yeah, I think he can get away with playing 27. He still can look very young.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:44 pm

I agree. I think the facial hair like he has now makes him look older. If you look at the pics from Finding Neverland and the press junkets associated with that he looks much younger with the shorter hair and clean shaven face. (Not that I'm complaining mind you! :thud:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:58 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I agree. I think the facial hair like he has now makes him look older. If you look at the pics from Finding Neverland and the press junkets associated with that he looks much younger with the shorter hair and clean shaven face. (Not that I'm complaining mind you! :thud:

:biglaugh: (Concerning your thud comment!)

He looks much younger without his facial hair/hat/eyeglasses.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:06 pm

QueenofKings wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I agree. I think the facial hair like he has now makes him look older. If you look at the pics from Finding Neverland and the press junkets associated with that he looks much younger with the shorter hair and clean shaven face. (Not that I'm complaining mind you! :thud:

:biglaugh: (Concerning your thud comment!)

He looks much younger without his facial hair/hat/eyeglasses.

Yes, beards always add age.But even though he looks young he can't always get away with it part of the problem with Blow is when he is supposed to be young George he looks too old, and this could be the case here unless they portray him as older.

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:36 pm

I'm not really sure how they are going to make this book into a movie. It was very confusing as far as the writing style and the age thing might be a problem too but Johnny can do it!
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:34 pm

SamIam wrote:I'm not really sure how they are going to make this book into a movie. It was very confusing as far as the writing style and the age thing might be a problem too but Johnny can do it!

I think Donleavy has faith in Johnny too! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:15 am

I wonder if Johnny will have a beard for the part..because Donleavy had one :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:37 am

I don't know, gilly. I think the beard makes him look older but makeup can do wonders!

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:33 pm

If my memory serves me right, he said in The History of the Ginger Man that his classmates and others in Dublin gave him a hard time about his beard. I got the impression that he was one of the very few in Dublin with one.

Return to “The Ginger Man”