The Ginger Man Question #12 ~ The Film

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:19 pm

I'm looking forward to the womanising parts :flirt: :grin: I hope there's plenty of that :-O ..As suec says,the only hesitation I have with the film,is how are they going to deal with all the poetic passages and how are they going to convey the book's lyricsm :-O ...I think there are plenty of interesting anecdotes to make this totally fascinating..I hope that it's not shot in grey,monontone colours...I know you could look at Ireland this way because of the terrible poverty and squalid living conditions that prevailed..but I hope we see lots of colour..because ,to me,it's a vibrant book :cool: :cloud9: ...
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:26 pm

nebraska wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I am looking forward to seeing him playing a cad as well. We saw it recently in The Libertine but I think many of us had a fondness for the Earl before the movie. I don't see that same feeling for Sebastian so I am interested to see how I feel about him after Johnny's portrayal.

Well, that is all well and good, but let me remind you that Sheldon Jeffrey Sands was supposed to be a villian and he stole the movie away from the star and is the beloved of many. Johnny has a way of humanizing and making even the worst of characters sympathetic......

Having fallen victim myself to Sheldon I totally understand what you are saying here, nebraska! If anyone can make Sebastian sympathetic...

gilly, it will be interesting to see how the lyricism is portrayed. The dialogue in this movie could be very interesting.
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:31 am

It will be interesting for another point Laurence Dunmore.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:35 am

Gilly, I think it's a vibrant book too. One thing is for sure; it has a lot of colour in it - especially green. Green this, green that. But others are mentioned a lot too. He says what they represent, so I am hoping for a lot of that.

nebraska, I know what you mean about him making them sympathetic. I can see it happening here too. But in a way I think it would be more interesting for him not to. However, I admit that it makes things a lot harder. One of my least favourite films is Blow. This is because there are so many characters that I absolutely cannot stand: the mother, the wife, the partner, the boss. :yuck: I can't bear seeing them on screen. It doesn't help that they get the upper hand in the film, either.
Lumineuse said that she was reminded of Withnail and I with this book. That has to be the funniest film that I can remember seeing. I cried laughing at it. I don't remember Withnail himself being a sympathetic character, but certainly his friend was, which I think helped to make it work.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:10 pm

[quote="suec

nebraska, I know what you mean about him making them sympathetic. I can see it happening here too. But in a way I think it would be more interesting for him not to. However, I admit that it makes things a lot harder. One of my least favourite films is Blow. This is because there are so many characters that I absolutely cannot stand: the mother, the wife, the partner, the boss. :yuck: I can't bear seeing them on screen. It doesn't help that they get the upper hand in the film, either.
.[/quote]

BUT, how did you feel about George?? I notice you don't mention disliking George. he was a drug dealer, for Pete's sake. He made (and lost) fortunes by introducing cocaine into this country and ruining the lives/health of thousands of people. He was a criminal. he was NOT a nice man, he was not a hero. But look what Johnny did -- we all feel sorry for George when he dreams of seeing his daughter again while he serves prison time for dealing dope. He had a brilliant mind, he could have done anything he chose to do, and he chose to be a drug lord. But we are angry with his mother, his wife, his partner.......and we love George. Johnny is a magician.

Maybe that is the one thing that Johnny cannot do (and I have always sworn he could do anything :-? ) he cannot make us hate him. Yes, we like him now!!!!! :cloud9: We definitely like him now.

what do you think, if Johnny/Sebastian smothers the baby and beats the wife -- will we like him then?????

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:36 pm

what do you think, if Johnny/Sebastian smothers the baby and beats the wife -- will we like him then?????

I think we will -- Sebastian is really desperate and pitiful, obsessed with death and loss, intelligent and charming. His selfisnhess and horrid behavor notwithstanding, if anyone could wrench our hearts, it's Johnny.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:00 pm

nebraska and stroch, I think you are correct. I predict we will like Sebastian by the end of the movie!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:19 am

nebraska wrote:[quote="suec

BUT, how did you feel about George?? I notice you don't mention disliking George. he was a drug dealer, for Pete's sake. He made (and lost) fortunes by introducing cocaine into this country and ruining the lives/health of thousands of people. He was a criminal. he was NOT a nice man, he was not a hero. But look what Johnny did -- we all feel sorry for George when he dreams of seeing his daughter again while he serves prison time for dealing dope. He had a brilliant mind, he could have done anything he chose to do, and he chose to be a drug lord. But we are angry with his mother, his wife, his partner.......and we love George. Johnny is a magician.

Maybe that is the one thing that Johnny cannot do (and I have always sworn he could do anything :-? ) he cannot make us hate him. Yes, we like him now!!!!! :cloud9: We definitely like him now.

what do you think, if Johnny/Sebastian smothers the baby and beats the wife -- will we like him then?????[/quote]

nebraska, I didn't love George. I didn't feel that sorry for him either. Yes George was charming, and I did feel sorry about his daughter. I thought that I was supposed to think of him as some kind of tragic hero, whose punishment exceeded his crime. I just thought he was a loser and stupid. I got cross with him for making the choices he did, choosing to be around those people. And of course, he was a drug dealer, and I didn't like that either. And I don't remember him thinking too much about that and what he did to others through that. But then, I haven't seen it for a while. Johnny didn't work his magic with me there. I guess I feel guilty about that, knowing that Johnny seemed to care about him, and I try to remember the positive things, like his love for his dad, daughter and girlfriend. I still don't want to see the film again though.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:43 pm

suec wrote:[nebraska, I didn't love George. I didn't feel that sorry for him either. Yes George was charming, and I did feel sorry about his daughter. I thought that I was supposed to think of him as some kind of tragic hero, whose punishment exceeded his crime. I just thought he was a loser and stupid. I got cross with him for making the choices he did, choosing to be around those people. And of course, he was a drug dealer, and I didn't like that either. And I don't remember him thinking too much about that and what he did to others through that. But then, I haven't seen it for a while. Johnny didn't work his magic with me there. I guess I feel guilty about that, knowing that Johnny seemed to care about him, and I try to remember the positive things, like his love for his dad, daughter and girlfriend. I still don't want to see the film again though.

You are fortunate if you were able to feel that way. I also agreed that George did some pretty stupid things, I was angry at him for his lack of judgement, etc. And I wasn't exactly overcome with pity for him, I did feel some sympathy when his "partners" turned on him however. But what I should have felt for him was revulsion and hatred. My feelings didn't even come close to that.......Of course, I watch Johnny's movies over and over, even the movies I don't care for because Johnny's performance is always so amazing to see.

Do we know for sure that Johnny will play the Sebastian character?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:56 pm

nebraska wrote:
suec wrote:[nebraska, I didn't love George. I didn't feel that sorry for him either. Yes George was charming, and I did feel sorry about his daughter. I thought that I was supposed to think of him as some kind of tragic hero, whose punishment exceeded his crime. I just thought he was a loser and stupid. I got cross with him for making the choices he did, choosing to be around those people. And of course, he was a drug dealer, and I didn't like that either. And I don't remember him thinking too much about that and what he did to others through that. But then, I haven't seen it for a while. Johnny didn't work his magic with me there. I guess I feel guilty about that, knowing that Johnny seemed to care about him, and I try to remember the positive things, like his love for his dad, daughter and girlfriend. I still don't want to see the film again though.

You are fortunate if you were able to feel that way. I also agreed that George did some pretty stupid things, I was angry at him for his lack of judgement, etc. And I wasn't exactly overcome with pity for him, I did feel some sympathy when his "partners" turned on him however. But what I should have felt for him was revulsion and hatred. My feelings didn't even come close to that.......Of course, I watch Johnny's movies over and over, even the movies I don't care for because Johnny's performance is always so amazing to see.

Do we know for sure that Johnny will play the Sebastian character?

Of the characters Johnny has played I have the least sympathy for George, probably because of the real life peron and what he did. Having said that you hit it on the head, nebraska. I still don't feel for him what I should and that is definitely because of Johhny's portrayal of him. I do like the movie as a whole though.

I don't suppose we have an exact quote from Donleavy or Johnny that he will be playing Sebastian but that seems to be the gist of what we have read.
:eyebrow:

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:01 pm

Handled properly, I think this book will do well on film. Even though I find Sebastian to be a thoroughly unlikeable fellow, Johnny will find a way to make us care for him. I believe Donleavy was right to wait for someone of Johnny's skill before bringing this book to film.

There are two scenes I would like to see in the movie; 1.) Sebastian fleeing the pub and police on bicycle in "Man Amuck in Public House" and 2.) Sebastian going to great lengths to escape Skully, falling through the top of a chicken house and leaping an iron picket fence. (with private bits intact)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:16 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:nebraska and stroch, I think you are correct. I predict we will like Sebastian by the end of the movie!

I have no doubt. :cloud9:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:22 am

theresa wrote:Handled properly, I think this book will do well on film. Even though I find Sebastian to be a thoroughly unlikeable fellow, Johnny will find a way to make us care for him. I believe Donleavy was right to wait for someone of Johnny's skill before bringing this book to film.

There are two scenes I would like to see in the movie; 1.) Sebastian fleeing the pub and police on bicycle in "Man Amuck in Public House" and 2.) Sebastian going to great lengths to escape Skully, falling through the top of a chicken house and leaping an iron picket fence. (with private bits intact)

I believe Donleavy's choice was brilliant--except for the hair. :perplexed: But then he didn't look like J.M. Barrie either.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:37 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I don't suppose we have an exact quote from Donleavy or Johnny that he will be playing Sebastian but that seems to be the gist of what we have read.[/b] :eyebrow:

Mr Donleavy told me that Johnny would be playing Sebastian. I think I asked him about that. Sorry folks. I can't believe that I didn't report that. :blush: I guess I took it for granted or something.

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:20 am

I think I enjoyed reading the posts for this thread more than the book. Ya'll brought out the funny highlights and now I think I am looking forward to seeing what Johnny can do with the story. I just can't figure out how he is going to deal with the age factor; he may be young looking for his age (I mean Clooney is only about 3 or 4 years older, but looks 15 years older), but he can't pass for early 20's. I'm thinking that he will be a "forever" student....a guy that just keeps changing his major, dropping out and in, and here he is in his late 30's still cutting classes, etc.

Return to “The Ginger Man”