The Ginger Man Question #11 ~ Writing Style

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

Linda B.

Unread postby Linda B. » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:53 pm

I actually liked the style of writing - it really seemed to represent how people think - people think confusing - and not always in a straight line (just try to trace a thought backwards & see where it came from!!)

It was a style that I enjoyed immensely!! (I know - I'm weird!) :-?
"It's OK to be different, it's good to be different, we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:40 pm

I found myself reading but thinking of other things at the same time, sometimes for as long as a page or two. Then a turn of phrase would catch my attention, and I'd have to double back and read it again.

I just started to re-read the whole book, and I notice that I zone out during his conversations. Must think.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:02 pm

I liked it. I didn't mind the staccato style. It seemed very natural to me. I liked the stream of consciousness - much less dull than some books I've read. The writing is full of beauty sometimes and other times, very funny. It also means that the reader has no illusions about him at all. You know him warts and all.
I did find the switch between first and third person a little confusing at first but I got it into it. One thing I did notice was that occasionally we get another character's thoughts (p87) and there was another occasion when I wasn't sure if they were SD's thoughts or Marion's. I can't remember where now.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:17 pm

stroch, I would zone out occasionally too and have to go back and read some parts over. Like suec said, it could be confusing sometimes knowing who you were listening to but I did get used to it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:31 pm

I tried to start the book once, totally was in the dark about what was going on, who was talking, etc. and put it down for quite a while.. Second time through, I began to follow the narration better and I wasn't bothered by the switch in persons once I figured out the system. Yes, a couple of drinks made it much easier to read!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:14 pm

nebraska, Sebastian would say... :toastingpirates: Of course you would have to buy. :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:34 pm

Linda B. wrote:I actually liked the style of writing - it really seemed to represent how people think - people think confusing - and not always in a straight line (just try to trace a thought backwards & see where it came from!!)

It was a style that I enjoyed immensely!! (I know - I'm weird!) :-?

Then I'm weird too. I know I'm all over the place. Drives the DH nuts. So this is a very good point, Linda B. :thumbsup:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Ginger Man”