The Ginger Man Question #10 ~ Favorites?

by J.P. Donleavy

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Ginger Man Question #10 ~ Favorites?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:31 am

Other than Sebastian, did you have a favorite character? Least favorite?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:43 am

Short answer I'm afraid, no.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:19 am

Ditto - none of them were any too admirable.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:26 am

This isn't looking good. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:58 am

I wanted to like Marion, but it was hard to get to know her :-/

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:12 pm

I didn't really like any of them either!
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:19 pm

I think my favorite character was Miss Frost. I think it was because she was the most developed but also because she was older and I could relate to her some ways. I also think that she and Danger played off of each other well.

My favorite male character was O’Keefe because he appeared to have a lot more going for him and because he was unlucky in love. I tend to root for the underdog.

As far as least favorite, I would have to dump the rest of the men together and count them as one.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:32 pm

I can't say I really cared at all for any of the men. Of the women I would say Miss Frost and Mary. Miss Frost because I thought she was amusing and shy but still had some fun. Mary because she was the only one that was able to use Sebastian instead of the other way around! :lol: It was hard to like most of them because, other than Sebastian, we just didn't know enough about them.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:57 pm

Of the women, I liked Mary and Miss Frost. Mary for her fighting spirit and for wearing SD out. Miss Frost because I feel sorry for her. Of the men, I liked Tony Mallarkey. Again, for his fighting spirit and he showed some signs of something at least approaching appropriate concern for his kids, although that may be stretching it a little.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Linda B.

Unread postby Linda B. » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:47 pm

Honestly of all of the characters, I didn't have a favorite.

However if you're going to ask which character was most interesting - it would have to be Sebastian - he was the only one you actually got to know - so like him or not - his thought processes were interesting - just because they were so bizarre.

(Sorry again - I know that's not what you asked.)
"It's OK to be different, it's good to be different, we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Linda B. wrote:Honestly of all of the characters, I didn't have a favorite.

However if you're going to ask which character was most interesting - it would have to be Sebastian - he was the only one you actually got to know - so like him or not - his thought processes were interesting - just because they were so bizarre.

(Sorry again - I know that's not what you asked.)

I think you did answer the question, because the most interesting could be considered the favorite. And I have to agree with you that he is the most interesting because he is the most developed, bizarre and we get to look into his thoughts.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:55 pm

I agree with suec :disco: ..I did empathise a bit with O'Keefe but Sebastian totally dominates the book..We see it through him,so some of the other characters are almost cartoonish,drawn with broad strokes...
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 pm

gilly wrote:so some of the other characters are almost cartoonish,drawn with broad strokes...

That's a good way to put it, Gilly. :cool:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:40 pm

I liked Miss Frost. I almost posted this to the "women" question, but since I didn't get around to it, I will say it here. I thought she was sweet. A little overly innocent, perhaps, (reminded me of myself in my younger days) but very sweet and kind and likeable. I think she would make a wonderful friend. In some ways, maybe that is what she was to Sebastian, a true friend. I really felt some genuine affection and concern between the two of them.......in spite of Sebastian using her, like he used everyone, it didn't seem quite as ugly with her. Their time together was my favorite part of the book, maybe the only part of the book I enjoyed much at all......I am not sure why I felt that this interlude was somehow less tawdry. Maybe because she was such a gentle caring soul that she gave before he demanded.....having food lovingly prepared for him rather than him fingering what was there and asking for what pleased him, that sort of thing. His selfishness was not as glaring in those circumstances.

Least favorite? I didn't care for Sebastian much! Nor the landlord. To be honest, I found it hard to like any of the characters in this book other than Miss Frost.

I am still waiting to find out what Johnny found so appealing in this book. :banghead:

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:22 pm

gilly wrote:I agree with suec :disco: ..I did empathise a bit with O'Keefe but Sebastian totally dominates the book..We see it through him,so some of the other characters are almost cartoonish,drawn with broad strokes...

I agree too. I found that since the book was through Sebastian's point of view, it made it hard to really get to know any of the other characters. They did seem a little one-dimensional. We did learn a bit about Kenneth through his letters. And I did like Mary's spunk.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Return to “The Ginger Man”