Were Margery and Creepy Crawley murderers?

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

Bix

Were Margery and Creepy Crawley murderers?

Unread postby Bix » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:44 pm

Just saw a little tie in with our great discussion of Innamorata. It appears Houdini's great-nephew has enough evidence to believe his uncle was poisoned to warrant an exhumation of Houdini's body. And he is supported in this endeavor by none other than Anna Thurlow, the great-granddaughter of Margery the medium. They suspect the Spiritualist movement led by the good doctor and championed by Arthur Conan Doyle might have given him arsenic! I'm never to sure if I'm doing this right or not, but here (I hope) is the link to the story.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17741602/?GT1=9145
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanks Bix,
I wasn't around for the Noodlemantras discussion of Inamorata but I read it recently and that article is very interesting indeed. I was always fascinated with Houdini and some of his stunts. The article certainly does add some mystery to his death. I was intrigued by these two paragraphs.

The exhumation plan received support from a surprising source: Anna Thurlow, the great-granddaughter of "medium" Margery, whose husband Dr. Le Roi Crandon was one of the Spiritualist movement's biggest proponents — and one of Houdini's most virulent enemies.

During a 1924 "seance," Margery channeled a "spirit" named Walter who greeted Houdini with a threat: "I put a curse on you now that will follow you every day for the rest of your short life."
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:37 pm

gemini wrote: Thanks Bix,
I wasn't around for the Noodlemantras discussion of Inamorata but I read it recently and that article is very interesting indeed. I was always fascinated with Houdini and some of his stunts. The article certainly does add some mystery to his death. I was intrigued by these two paragraphs.

The exhumation plan received support from a surprising source: Anna Thurlow, the great-granddaughter of "medium" Margery, whose husband Dr. Le Roi Crandon was one of the Spiritualist movement's biggest proponents — and one of Houdini's most virulent enemies.

During a 1924 "seance," Margery channeled a "spirit" named Walter who greeted Houdini with a threat: "I put a curse on you now that will follow you every day for the rest of your short life."

Thanks are not enough! This is quite interesting. We need to follow this story.

:thanks!: again, Bix!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:54 pm

VERY INTERESTING!!!!! :-O Nice find, Bix! :cool:

Below are links to an interview with Mina’s granddaughter and a little background on the Houdini/Doyle feud, both from the ONBC archives.

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=25178&highlight=anna+thurlow

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=23881&highlight=houdini
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Inamorata”