Moderator: Liz

gilly

Gangemi describes Johnny

Unread postby gilly » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:33 am

Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:15 am

That'a sweet mention Gilly. You are so clever at finding these things!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks, Gilly. :thanks!: I'll take shy, polite & nervous over confident any day.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:03 am

Liz wrote:Thanks, Gilly. :thanks!: I'll take shy, polite & nervous over confident any day.

Thanks gilly, another great find...that's our boy. :cloud9:

You know Lizbaba, being a shy person myself, I've never associated shyness with lack of confidence. Through the years, I've in some ways forced myself to be less shy, but still even now if I'm in a situation that I can't get a grip on emotionally I behave very shyly. For me, and I suspect for Johnny and other shy people, it is more a reaction to the anxiety of being in a new and totally unfamiliar/unpleasant situation and perhaps coupled with a need to remain composed in that situation and that I think is what makes us retreat inside ourselves. Lack of confidence has nothing to do with it, I never feel less capable just out of my element. A man like Johnny, who has done the things he has in his life (the roles alone, not to mention every thing else), met and befriended the people he has in his life, could not lack confidence. I think that actually in Johnny's case considering the magnitude of his life, shyness prevents him from becoming arrogant, in fact I've never met a shy person who was arrogant. I've noticed that sometimes arrogance is mistaken for confidence, but I wouldn't call that a good trait. Just my :twocents:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:14 am

:thanks!: Gilly for posting. That was so interesting. I like how he said staring at the computer at three in the morning was blockhead writing not writers block. I think we have all been there before. For me it's usually when I'm writing a chapter to a story although I never stay up past like one. Anywho, I think that's what attracts us to Johnny. He's polite, shy, and intelligent. I think being able to carry on a conversation is way more important than looks. I always liked shy polite guys. :cool:

~SamIam~
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

BrownEyesToo

Unread postby BrownEyesToo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:31 am

:thanks!: Thanks, gilly, for that article. It just goes to show that many women don't need muscles and a load of testosterone in their men to find them attractive. Johnny has something so ephermeral, so subtle, that it almost defies explanation. For me, the kindness, shyness and good manners are a real turn on. (okay, girls, his looks don't hurt either!) :sigh:

Boo, as a shy person myself, I agree that shyness does not assume lack of confidence. I generally feel confident in new situations, but prefer to hold my tongue until I have the big picture. I also feel that shy people are excellent listeners! I have noticed that Johnny, when being interviewed, and when with his fans, is very intent on what they have to say, not always trying to cut in with his next thought.
"Johnny Depp, as far as I'm concerned, is number one. Of his generation, there's no one who can touch him." Christopher Lee

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:37 pm

BrownEyesToo wrote::thanks!: Thanks, gilly, for that article. It just goes to show that many women don't need muscles and a load of testosterone in their men to find them attractive. Johnny has something so ephermeral, so subtle, that it almost defies explanation. For me, the kindness, shyness and good manners are a real turn on. (okay, girls, his looks don't hurt either!) :sigh:

Boo, as a shy person myself, I agree that shyness does not assume lack of confidence. I generally feel confident in new situations, but prefer to hold my tongue until I have the big picture. I also feel that shy people are excellent listeners! I have noticed that Johnny, when being interviewed, and when with his fans, is very intent on what they have to say, not always trying to cut in with his next thought.

BrownEyes I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:29 pm

Boo-Radley wrote:
BrownEyesToo wrote::thanks!: Thanks, gilly, for that article. It just goes to show that many women don't need muscles and a load of testosterone in their men to find them attractive. Johnny has something so ephermeral, so subtle, that it almost defies explanation. For me, the kindness, shyness and good manners are a real turn on. (okay, girls, his looks don't hurt either!) :sigh:

Live in Depp
Boo

I'm a shy person too. And I have to agree with what both of you have said. And Boo, I think when I read "confidence" I leaped ahead to arrogance. That may not have been what Gangemi was inferring. I'm thinking it is just how they come off. I also think that Johnny exudes humility--which I find to be a positive trait. But humility can be confused with lack of confidence, which is not necessarily the case. This reminds me of my discussion with my running partner about ITAS. She watched it, I think, so that she could understand me better. :lol: Her impression of Johnny from watching ITAS is that he is not "a take charge" individual. We argued about that one because I see him as totally the opposite. He has taken charge of his life and does what he wants. But I know I'm preaching to the choir here. So my point is that people's perceptions can differ.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

artistatheart

Unread postby artistatheart » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:34 pm

BrownEyesToo wrote:(...) as a shy person myself, I agree that shyness does not assume lack of confidence. I generally feel confident in new situations, but prefer to hold my tongue until I have the big picture. I also feel that shy people are excellent listeners! I have noticed that Johnny, when being interviewed, and when with his fans, is very intent on what they have to say, not always trying to cut in with his next thought.

I agree with you there :thumbsup: I am much like you, as I may feel confident and not nervous in a new situation, but it will take me a while before I will speak up. I like to get a feel for how the other people are reacting to comments before I speak up. I also agree with the fact that shy people are good listeners. I consider myself shy, so I tend to not talk that much. Because of this, I tend to pick up on things that people say, that people who were talking missed. People like that are good to have in groups, in my opinion. :cool:

Johnny does always seem very interested in what people have to say, and I think that is a very admirable thing for someone famous to do. :eyebrow:

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Amusing to think of Gangemi sizing him up to work out his appeal. I think it says more about Gangemi. But lovely comments to read.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:44 pm

Liz wrote:
Boo-Radley wrote:

Live in Depp
Boo

I'm a shy person too. And I have to agree with what both of you have said. And Boo, I think when I read "confidence" I leaped ahead to arrogance. That may not have been what Gangemi was inferring. I'm thinking it is just how they come off. I also think that Johnny exudes humility--which I find to be a positive trait. But humility can be confused with lack of confidence, which is not necessarily the case. This reminds me of my discussion with my running partner about ITAS. She watched it, I think, so that she could understand me better. :lol: Her impression of Johnny from watching ITAS is that he is not "a take charge" individual. We argued about that one because I see him as totally the opposite. He has taken charge of his life and does what he wants. But I know I'm preaching to the choir here. So my point is that people's perceptions can differ.

Hey Lizbaba, I see we have an accord. :capnjack: Your friend's impression of Johnny, reminds me of what Martin Landau, once said about him, "Johnny is the most misunderstood person on the planet". Mr. Landau was talking about his tabloid troubles, but I think it's and appropriate view of how many people develop misconceptions about him. Oddly enough, I can identify with being misunderstood. I don't know if it's because some people, once they make a judgment based on surface/appearance, their minds or set, or if it is that they just don't listen and observe. For instance, during ITAS Johnny related that story about his mom telling him to fight for himself and not be bullied...and he took her advice. As we know he said in effect was, that what she had taught him was that he could take control of a situation and run with it, and he has applied that lesson to his entire life. Now if that isn't a "take charge" attitude I don't know what is. I just don't get people sometimes, but as Johnny often says, we're all just nuts. :lol:

Live in Depp
Boo

Live in Depp
Boo

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:24 pm

Is this the shy person's thread? :grin: Count me in :-O It's interesting that although Johnny has said he, sort of, enjoys the surreal quality of some of these events,he still gets incredibly anxious..even revealing it to Gangemi...You definitely can be shy and confident..I tend to sit back and listen to people first to try to get a handle on them..and when I don't sense any empathy or place of agreement that we can come to,I tend to clam up...Bad vibes you could call it...Johnny is definitely focussed listener..he is concentrating on the words and the person at the same time..People who are not good in social situations,for whatever reason,tend to have this focus..I think that's why we are called good listeners because we are trying to 'hear' the person through their words and by just watching them....Or maybe that's just me.. :capnjack: .
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:27 pm

gilly, I think you and Boobaba have a point. We hear time and again what a good listener he is and how he always tries to divert the focus away from himself. He takes the time to listen and not rely on surface appearances.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:43 pm

gilly wrote:Is this the shy person's thread? :grin: Count me in :-O :capnjack: .

:lol: Gilly, you just never know which way a discussion is going to go here at ONBC. :eyebrow:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:20 pm

Boo-Radley wrote:

Hey Lizbaba, I see we have an accord. :capnjack: Your friend's impression of Johnny, reminds me of what Martin Landau, once said about him, "Johnny is the most misunderstood person on the planet". Mr. Landau was talking about his tabloid troubles, but I think it's and appropriate view of how many people develop misconceptions about him. Oddly enough, I can identify with being misunderstood. I don't know if it's because some people, once they make a judgment based on surface/appearance, their minds or set, or if it is that they just don't listen and observe. For instance, during ITAS Johnny related that story about his mom telling him to fight for himself and not be bullied...and he took her advice. As we know he said in effect was, that what she had taught him was that he could take control of a situation and run with it, and he has applied that lesson to his entire life. Now if that isn't a "take charge" attitude I don't know what is. I just don't get people sometimes, but as Johnny often says, we're all just nuts. :lol:

Live in Depp
Boo

Live in Depp
Boo

The good news is that sometimes they come around. My running partner has seen FN, POTC (liked them both) and Edward Scissorhands 4 times. Today on our run she asked for a recommendation for another JD movie. I think she's beginning to get it. :disco:

Return to “Inamorata”