Inamorata Questin #28 ~ Finals Day!

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Inamorata Questin #28 ~ Finals Day!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 am

Noodlemantras, here we are again on final question day. :bawl:
Thank you, as always, for your wonderfully witty and insightful answers. :applause:

This has been a particularly convoluted story and it has been great fun to read everyone's different takes on it.
:thanks!:

Your assignment today is to bring your best theory to the table. What is your final opinion of Mina and her powers? Was she for real? If it was trickery how do you think she pulled it off? :perplexed:

Get out those blue books and start
:writer2:

(P.S. Don't forget to send your questions for Mr. Gangemi!) :zoner:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:08 am

Hmm...I don't think her powers were real. I think she used her mental illness as a way to convince everyone that she had psychic powers when it was that she needed help. She used her husband to help her out by convincing everyone that her brother was talking when it was one of her personalities and they used Finch's naivete and his love for Mina to convince everyone she had powers. Now whether or not Finch believed she had powers I don't know, but I think he wanted to believe she did. He wanted to believe she was real because his love for her was real.

SamIam
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:07 pm

No, I don't think her powers were real. She pulled it off consistently refusing to submit to any type of controlled analysis or studies. I believe that she did do one controlled test (the real Mina) and absolutely nothing happened. After that, she refused to do any more.

If her powers had been genuine and real, she would not have refused any controls. She was just more clever at pulling off her scam than most.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:09 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:No, I don't think her powers were real. She pulled it off consistently refusing to submit to any type of controlled analysis or studies. I believe that she did do one controlled test (the real Mina) and absolutely nothing happened. After that, she refused to do any more.

If her powers had been genuine and real, she would not have refused any controls. She was just more clever at pulling off her scam than most.

Larkwood, would care to venture a guess as to how she pulled it off? :sherlockholmes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:13 pm

For the sake of the story I choose to suspend belief and go with Mina having real powers and receiving a real message for Finch from the other side that there is a heaven. (That way, I don't have to explain how she did it! ) In real life I'm hoping there's a heaven, but I don't think any spirits are getting through to the living with messages, or we would have heard A LOT about it!!
My thanks to our kind moderators for making us feel comfortble in going off in 1000 different directions this month! :cool:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:24 pm

Betty Sue wrote:For the sake of the story I choose to suspend belief and go with Mina having real powers and receiving a real message for Finch from the other side that there is a heaven. (That way, I don't have to explain how she did it! ) In real life I'm hoping there's a heaven, but I don't think any spirits are getting through to the living with messages, or we would have heard A LOT about it!!
My thanks to our kind moderators for making us feel comfortble in going off in 1000 different directions this month! :cool:

Betty Sue, if I'm going off in 1000 different directions, why not you? :lol:

Actually, I'm with you, Betty Sue. My final answer is that Gangemi's Mina had real powers--due to the message from the Archer. :-O
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Me too, Liz. I still think she was a manipulative fraud, perhaps helped (maybe more encouraged)by her publicity and power seeking husband. I don't think her powers were tested under conditions of any real rigor, for example outside the room, or in any form of light. But I think that she was a victim as well as the criminal here, so her treatment by her husband may be an explanation for what she did, but not an excuse.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:20 pm

I've had many theories about this and they change, sometimes hourly. Here is my current one... :lol:

At the beginning, before the Crawleys contacted Scientific American, Mina may have had some sort of minor psychic ability that they played around with during the parlor seances with friends, etc. Then Conan Doyle got involved and the Scientific American investigation began and Arthur got a taste of fame, which fueled his immense ego. After that, I think whatever abilities she may have had were exagerrated and "enhanced" using trickery mostly at Arthur's doing, hence the drugs, etc. I don't think Stanlowe was the accomplice but I wouldn't rule out Pike, I think the Tagalog is a big clue here. I think Stanlowe knew that Mina was under Creepy Crawley's control and he was unable to help her which caused his misery. I also believe that Mina's message about the Archer is meant to make us believe that she did have some psychic ability.

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:48 pm

I think that Mina, her husband, and Pike were involved in a conspiracy. (Huh, just typed "piracy" at the end of that word and lost my train of thought for a moment. Mmmm, pirates. Ok, focus, focus.)

If Mina's a fraud, Crawley's involvement is obvious. We have only his word for it that he is giving Mina drugs to sedate her. If he's giving her small doses (or none), that would give her the freedom to move things with her feet, etc. Observers would believe that she was incapable of such actions.

The Tagalog incident suggested Pike's involvement.

As to how they did it, I don't know. But I also can't explain hypnotism completely, and I've seen people do bizarre things while hypnotised. And I've seen magic tricks I can't explain, too.

I don't think people as a whole were any more gullible in the 1920's than they are now, but I know we've got a lot of technology that would strike the uninformed as magical.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:42 pm

aaarrrggghhh! :banghead: I am so frustrated at not being able to think through a reply! I was having enough trouble before the recent unpleasantness with my arm. . .but now there is no hope! I'm tending toward the BettySue/Liz theory that gives Mina at least some real powers. Maybe i'll get some relief from some of today's swelling and pain soon enough to come back to this question and try to formulate a proper answer. I did want to chime in here and say thank you again, Liz and DITHOT, for leading another challenging and thought-provoking discussion. And thank you to all you wise and wonderful Noodlemantras for participating in yet another blowing of our collectve minds! It's good to shake the cobwebs out!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm

This was a good book and a good discussion. My final answer is,
I think she was a fraud. I don't think she had any real psychic powers and I believe she was manipulative. Her husband's ego got her in deeper than maybe she wanted to be, but she was right in there.

Finch wanted to believe she was real because he had fallen for her, but there again, that was part of the spell she was weaving.
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:43 pm

Well I think Mina is a fraud,a trickster..that the show that she puts on, is a sham........ but maybe Walter is a 'true' spirit..Don't ask me to justify it :lol: ..but it's a gut feeling I have..I think that is one reason why we are all a bit up-in-the-air about this book..Just because the people involved in the investigation and the conspiritors ,are suspect..it doesn't mean what they are investigating is fraudulent.Walter is just too ''real'' to me..he's the most interesting character in the book. :cool: .
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:28 pm

I agree, Gilly, that, in retrospect, Walter was one of the most interesting characters. And it was a very mind-blowing discussion, Bix. :-)

I'm heading out for the evening, but don't want to pass up this chance to thank all of you who participated. Again you have opened up my mind to possibilities that I hadn't considered. You guys :rocknroll: and always stretch my mind. :thanks!:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:14 pm

I have been gone since lunch today so I enjoyed coming back to read your answers. I have to say Gangemi did a good job keeping us guessing...the stinker!

Don't forget to send us your questions for him! jdzonbc@yahoo.com
:writer:

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:23 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I've had many theories about this and they change, sometimes hourly. Here is my current one... :lol:

At the beginning, before the Crawleys contacted Scientific American, Mina may have had some sort of minor psychic ability that they played around with during the parlor seances with friends, etc. Then Conan Doyle got involved and the Scientific American investigation began and Arthur got a taste of fame, which fueled his immense ego. After that, I think whatever abilities she may have had were exagerrated and "enhanced" using trickery mostly at Arthur's doing, hence the drugs, etc. I don't think Stanlowe was the accomplice but I wouldn't rule out Pike, I think the Tagalog is a big clue here. I think Stanlowe knew that Mina was under Creepy Crawley's control and he was unable to help her which caused his misery. I also believe that Mina's message about the Archer is meant to make us believe that she did have some psychic ability.

DITHOT -- your current theory is pretty much the conclusion that I came to. The only thing different is that I think that Mina had Arthur fooled too, because I think he actually believed in Walter.

Thanks a bunch, Liz and DITHOT -- for taking us on this wild ride this past month. It's been a blast!

Return to “Inamorata”