Inamorata Questin #28 ~ Finals Day!

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:51 pm

theresa wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I've had many theories about this and they change, sometimes hourly. Here is my current one... :lol:

At the beginning, before the Crawleys contacted Scientific American, Mina may have had some sort of minor psychic ability that they played around with during the parlor seances with friends, etc. Then Conan Doyle got involved and the Scientific American investigation began and Arthur got a taste of fame, which fueled his immense ego. After that, I think whatever abilities she may have had were exagerrated and "enhanced" using trickery mostly at Arthur's doing, hence the drugs, etc. I don't think Stanlowe was the accomplice but I wouldn't rule out Pike, I think the Tagalog is a big clue here. I think Stanlowe knew that Mina was under Creepy Crawley's control and he was unable to help her which caused his misery. I also believe that Mina's message about the Archer is meant to make us believe that she did have some psychic ability.

DITHOT -- your current theory is pretty much the conclusion that I came to. The only thing different is that I think that Mina had Arthur fooled too, because I think he actually believed in Walter.

Thanks a bunch, Liz and DITHOT -- for taking us on this wild ride this past month. It's been a blast!

theresa, you have a good point there because Arthur was certainly fearful of Walter which is the hole in my theory that Arthur and Mina were behind it all. :banghead: So what else is new with this discussion? :lol: All our theories end up with holes, don't they! However, I suppose Arthur could have been faking his fear for the sake of the committee but the way Gangemi wrote it, the fear seemed real.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:49 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I've had many theories about this and they change, sometimes hourly. Here is my current one... :lol:

At the beginning, before the Crawleys contacted Scientific American, Mina may have had some sort of minor psychic ability that they played around with during the parlor seances with friends, etc. Then Conan Doyle got involved and the Scientific American investigation began and Arthur got a taste of fame, which fueled his immense ego. After that, I think whatever abilities she may have had were exagerrated and "enhanced" using trickery mostly at Arthur's doing, hence the drugs, etc. I don't think Stanlowe was the accomplice but I wouldn't rule out Pike, I think the Tagalog is a big clue here. I think Stanlowe knew that Mina was under Creepy Crawley's control and he was unable to help her which caused his misery. I also believe that Mina's message about the Archer is meant to make us believe that she did have some psychic ability.

DITHOT, I like many parts of this theory, particularly the part about Mina having some "minor" powers that became exaggerated ( or lost?) when Doyle, Scientific American, etc became involved. That might justify the theory that Walter was real.......and that he appeared when he felt like it, meaning when it was necessary to protect or assist his sister.......I haven't really figured out where Pike fits in all of this......not sure I really have a theory, so for now I will borrow this one of yours. Even though you seem to retract it later in this thread.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:13 am

Seeing as I am a skeptic I think she was false but I can not answer how it was done there is no proof one way or the other.
A very clever and baffling book as I've said before just like the case.But nevertheless an enjoyable book.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:45 am

Endora wrote:Me too, Liz. I still think she was a manipulative fraud, perhaps helped (maybe more encouraged)by her publicity and power seeking husband. I don't think her powers were tested under conditions of any real rigor, for example outside the room, or in any form of light. But I think that she was a victim as well as the criminal here, so her treatment by her husband may be an explanation for what she did, but not an excuse.

I don't believe she possessed any real powers.... but I agree with pretty much the rest of Endora's assessment. But I would add that, like Teresa, I think Crawley was duped. I think that his fear of Walter was a homophobic reaction to his own impotence.

Let's talk Pike!

Pike is my favorite enigma. He is the first member of the Crawley household Finch meets and the last he encounters before he departs. Pike and Crawley have a past in the mysterious East (the opposite direction of Walter's travels). Crawley describes him as a "manghihilot" or faith healer. Pike also seems to practice anesthesiology without a medical license with Crawley’s blessing (he might be responsible for the cocktail that induces Mina’s trance state).

He is significant. He adds up to something—what, I’m not sure, but he gets my vote for Mina’s accomplice. I think he might have the imagination, skills and magic to pick up where Mina leaves off. He gives her single-minded vengeance trip a little panache. Plus there’s that whole Tagalong thing.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:23 am

dharma_bum, I knew you had a theory on Pike's involvement. :interesting:
He is the one character that Gangemi doesn't shed enough light on to give us a good feel for him, maybe that is the clue...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:49 am

nebraska wrote:

DITHOT, I like many parts of this theory, particularly the part about Mina having some "minor" powers that became exaggerated ( or lost?) when Doyle, Scientific American, etc became involved. That might justify the theory that Walter was real.......and that he appeared when he felt like it, meaning when it was necessary to protect or assist his sister.......I haven't really figured out where Pike fits in all of this......not sure I really have a theory, so for now I will borrow this one of yours. Even though you seem to retract it later in this thread.

Although I go with the theory that her powers were real, I also think she was faking some of the time or that they might have been exaggerated.

And Pike's purpose in the story still nags at me. :-?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Inamorata”