Inamorata Question #27 ~ The end - the most important part!

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Inamorata Question #27 ~ The end - the most important part!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:40 am

What did you think of the way Gangemi ended the story?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:43 pm

I found the first half of this book much more interesting than the second half. I think stylistically, Gangemi tried to make a story (that was already interesting and mysterious), more interesting and mysterious by adding in a lot of confusing plot twists and contortions. In the end, nobody understands what happened or why. I think that a lot of it was just unnecessary.

In the end, I didn't really care about anybody in this story. Not even Finch. The story had lost my interest well before the end.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:53 pm

I was somewhat frustrated, but realized it had to end that way. And I'm even more frustrated after discussing it. :lol: It reminds me of a little discussion we had about Secret Window, Secret Garden. It seems we we never figured out what really happened there, either. :banghead:

I was tickled, though, by the revelation of Chester and Mina’s message to Finch, “Forget the Arrow--I have met the Archer!”
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:26 pm

I could accept that the question of Mina being a medium is not resolved. It is appropriate, although it was frustrating at times. But the way he wrote about the father really bugged me. I can't think of a good reason for it, unless by identifying the father, he exposed the accomplice. He could just as easily have removed any doubt at all and identified Finch, which would have protected the other question. Having them both unresolved meant no pay-off for the reader - not for me, anyway.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:01 pm

I enjoyed the book as a whole and I too can see why the issue of Mina's ability was never resolved since it was never resolved in real life. Maybe that is why the paternity issue was left open as well. I don't know if she had children later in life but I don't remember reading about any. It is hard to separate the real story from the novel sometimes!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:44 pm

I liked the unresolved, open-endedness of the ending. So many possibilities and tantilizing theories.

The book as a whole: the beginning really intrigued me and caught me up; the middle bogged down a bit; and the end was good.
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 pm

Mr. Betty Sue read the book before I did. I knew he liked the book but was disappointed with the ending so I was dreading how it would turn out. Maybe that's why, like Liz, "I was tickled, though, by the revelation of Chester and Mina’s message to Finch, “Forget the Arrow--I have met the Archer!” " As I said before, both incidents gave me chills. So I liked the ending, though I'm a bit confused about the paternity. I guess I'd like to think that Finch realized Chester was his and that the future held promise of putting that family together... :cloud9: (And now that we're done, I'm going back to reread the real story---and probably change all of my opinions! :baby: )
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:13 pm

I liked the end of the book. It left you to imagine what could have happened instead of it being decided for you. I think that's so much better.

SamIam
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:26 pm

The unresolved ending was a reflection of the unresolved nature of the whole story..I really liked the book when I first read it.It swept you along and all the scientific investigations were fascinating..I s'pose I give it less marks now that I realise that the wonderful story line didn't come from Gangemi's imagination..but closely followed a 'real' situation...Maybe that explains why the characters were a bit superficial..like outlines ,without being coloured in..But it is still an entertaining read..I like puzzles and conundrums..always more satisfying than to have everything revealed.. :cool: .
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:23 pm

SamIam wrote: I liked the end of the book. It left you to imagine what could have happened instead of it being decided for you. I think that's so much better.

That is a good way to look at it Sam. Sometimes we don’t need the ending decided for us, do we?

Gilly wrote: Maybe that explains why the characters were a bit superficial..like outlines ,without being coloured in..But it is still an entertaining read..I like puzzles and conundrums..always more satisfying than to have everything revealed..

I agree, gilly. I’m thinking Gangemi must have felt some restraints with the characters since they were based on real people.

Wow! What a ride!

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:32 pm

One of the things that I liked about this story was the way it left the resolution foggy, the questions intact. I think that's one of the major ways in which this book stands out from so many others. It leaves you to decide the ending. The situation isn't resolved. The reader is left not knowing so many things, whether Mina was a fake or her mediumistic gift was real, who the father is, what peoples' real motives were, who Walter was. It really makes you think and question. No neatly tied up endings with this one.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:44 pm

QueenofKings wrote:One of the things that I liked about this story was the way it left the resolution foggy, the questions intact. I think that's one of the major ways in which this book stands out from so many others. It leaves you to decide the ending. The situation isn't resolved. The reader is left not knowing so many things, whether Mina was a fake or her mediumistic gift was real, who the father is, what peoples' real motives were, who Walter was. It really makes you think and question. No neatly tied up endings with this one.

QofK, I think those ambiguities have certainly made for an interesting discussion! I've really enjoyed not knowing the answers and reading everyone's theories. Be ready to sum up your opinion tomorrow...

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:49 pm

I didn't expect the book to end the way it did -- I'm used to reading books where all the loose ends get neatly tied. But I liked it because it stayed true to the rest of the book. And I liked how Gangemi didn't try to force us to believe one way or the other on the existence of spirits. He gave us all the possible options and then left the rest to us.

But he could have told us who Chester's father was!
:banghead:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:54 pm

theresa wrote:I didn't expect the book to end the way it did -- I'm used to reading books where all the loose ends get neatly tied. But I liked it because it stayed true to the rest of the book. And I liked how Gangemi didn't try to force us to believe one way or the other on the existence of spirits. He gave us all the possible options and then left the rest to us.

But he could have told us who Chester's father was!
:banghead:

theresa, he did leave it up to our personal ideas and beliefs, didn't he? But I'm with you on Chester's father! :banghead:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:05 pm

I find it interesting that many of you liked the open-endedness of the story. I did also, which is unlike me, because I usually like everything wrapped up all neat and tidy. After all, the ending is the most important part of the story…..to me.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Inamorata”