Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Inamorata Question #26 - Chester

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:30 pm

Finally.....

Who is Chester’s father?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:21 pm

That's what I'd like to know!!! :shy: Finch??? (Only the squirrels know for sure???) :-?
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:35 pm

Betty Sue wrote:That's what I'd like to know!!! :shy: Finch??? (Only the squirrels know for sure???) :-?

:biglaugh: And was that a bad nut or a good nut? :-?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:02 pm

Liz wrote:
:biglaugh: And was that a bad nut or a good nut? :-?

ANOTHER good question!!! :grin:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:22 pm

Can't be Finch it was too quick wasn't it :-?

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:37 pm

I say Finch!
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:51 pm

Isn't he seeing Chester 6 years later at the end, GG? I think Gangemi is definitely leaving the door open here with the possibility of Stanlowe still being in the picture as well. When Finch sees the actual picture of Chester he doesn't remark on who he resembles and he says the picture is of poor quality, only when he sees him in his dream does he remark on his resemblance to his "father". Another :perplexed: Anyone else?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:59 pm

There are lots of clues to indicate that Finch might think he's the father:
p p 307 "What part I'd paid in that transformation I wasn't yet ready to consider"
p 312 "The end of 1924 was momentous for other reasons as well. In September the the newspapers reported... a healthy baby boy"
Most intriguing of all - or irritating, depending on my mood - is on pages 294 - 295
"You can see that my instinct was still to regard myself in the role of romantic hero, instead of the lesser part for which I had been cast in the Crawley's strange little domestic drama. But self-delusion is key to playing the foil - not to mention the fool." Bearing in mind how fallible he is, self-delusion could be working in more ways than one.
So why, then does he refer to Chester's father in the third person: "the boy took after his father"? Using "the boy": just a boy, rather than Chester, as he surely would think of him? Is this a clue that he isn't the one, or is Gangemi just maintaining the mystery? I suppose if he did identify the father as Stanlowe, then it might suggest that he is the accomplice.
I don't know who the father is. But just for the sake of argument, I vote for Pike. I daresay a case could be made: least likely candidate in some ways as he is so allied to Crawley - but he is always there in the background. He is even mentioned in Finch's dream, albeit "offstage" with Crawley.
And why is the father mentioned in the dream anyway? I'm too tired to answer that one even half sensibly. I will go to bed and ponder.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:32 pm

When I finished the book, I knew Finch was the father. Now, I'm not so sure. The timing was right as Chester was born 9 months after Mina and Finch's encounter. But would Mina have know she was pregnant when Walter announced it at the last seance? It had only been seven days.

Like suec said, Finch always seemed so dispassionate about Chester. It would seem that he would feel more strongly if he knew he was the father. Unless he was in complete denial -- and because he had never met Chester, he had no emotional ties.

I'm still going to say it's Finch...maybe.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:53 pm

I always thought it was Finch..but it's another tantalising mystery..All I know for sure,it wasn't hubbie or the pigeon or the squirrels. :-O ..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:57 pm

gilly wrote:I always thought it was Finch..but it's another tantalising mystery..All I know for sure,it wasn't hubbie or the pigeon or the squirrels. :-O ..

are you so sure it wasn't the pigeon :lol:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
gilly wrote:I always thought it was Finch..but it's another tantalising mystery..All I know for sure,it wasn't hubbie or the pigeon or the squirrels. :-O ..

are you so sure it wasn't the pigeon :lol:

:biglaugh:

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:10 pm

I was under the impression that Finch was the boy's father. But who's to say? I think this is just another one of the grey areas that we are left to ponder. Now I'm not so sure. :-?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:15 pm

That pigeon got around... :lol:

How can we be sure it wasn't Crawley's?
:-?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:33 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:How can we be sure it wasn't Crawley's? :-?

I don't think we can be sure about anything in this book, DITHOT -- but I got the impression it couldn't be Crawley because on page 300, after Walter announced her pregnancy, Finch writes:

Beside me I heard Crawley muttering under his breath:
"Impossible. . .nothing short of a miracle. . ."

So I was thinking that for whatever reason, Crawley couldn't get her pregnant.

Return to “Inamorata”