Inamorata Question #24 ~ The Title

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Inamorata Question #24 ~ The Title

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:15 am

Why did Gangemi title the book Inamorata?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:10 am

To confuse and baffle us??

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:40 am

Good answer, GG!! :biglaugh: I often wondered about that title as I read the book. The title suggested something quite different to me. Of course, the investigation was threatened by Finch's falling in love with Mina. Same thing had happened with McLaughlin. Maybe it suggests that a lover can always appear and threaten to take over rational thought. Will be thinking more about it today and am glad you asked the question because I'm anxious to hear some good answers! (The first three letters in Inamorata are in Mina's name...)
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:54 am

Betty Sue wrote:(The first three letters in Inamorata are in Mina's name...)

Good answers, both of you! :cool:

The 4th letter in the title is the first letter of her name.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:01 am

True that the first four letters are Mina's name and maybe Gangemi intended it to be this way or maybe not. It depends on where he wanted to go with it. I think he did it on purpose because she was such an interval part of the story. So for right now I am going to step out because I am celebrating my birthday! :cool:
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:16 am

Happy Birthday, SamIam! :happybday:

I looked up the definition of Inamorata on Websters on line and it is:

a woman with whom one is in love or has intimate relations

This would apply in Mina's case not just to Finch but also to Creepy Crawley and Ernst.

GG, he has definitely confused and baffled us!
:perplexed: :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:22 am

:birthdayballoon: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SamIam :birthdayballoon:

Hope you have a wonderful day.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:13 pm

Happy Birthday, SamIam :happybday: ! And, yes, I meant to say the first four letters! Jeesh!
Yes, DITHOT, all three men's lives were thrown for a loop by this inamorata. But was that the main point of the story? :eyebrow:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:18 pm

Betty Sue wrote: Yes, DITHOT, all three men's lives were thrown for a loop by this inamorata. But was that the main point of the story? :eyebrow:

Now there's a good question, Betty Sue! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:48 pm

Why, thank you!! I'm here to ask, not to answer... :-|

suec

Unread postby suec » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:22 pm

Happy Birthday SamIam :happybday:

I like the title. I think it is attention-grabbing and snappy. Also, I think it is an appropriate choice. The book is about a number of things apart from spiritualism, and the attraction is there from the moment Finch sets eyes on Mina.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:41 pm

I think that it’s a much better title than something like “The Medium”, which sounds like a shirt size.

It was also a very good description of how the men saw Mina. I think they were all more than a little enamored of her, and Finch was definitely in love with her. In the French café – after they had quarreled – Finch wrote: “I felt my heart thump twice in my chest, like someone knocking on a door. Two knocks and no more – that was all and everything. I had hurt Mina, and she had forgiven me and according to some ancient calculus neither of us had invented, we were wed. Or at least I was wedded to her.” So after that point, no matter the outcome of the investigation, Mina was Finch’s inamorata, his love.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:04 pm

theresa wrote:I think that it’s a much better title than something like “The Medium”, which sounds like a shirt size.

It was also a very good description of how the men saw Mina. I think they were all more than a little enamored of her, and Finch was definitely in love with her. In the French café – after they had quarreled – Finch wrote: “I felt my heart thump twice in my chest, like someone knocking on a door. Two knocks and no more – that was all and everything. I had hurt Mina, and she had forgiven me and according to some ancient calculus neither of us had invented, we were wed. Or at least I was wedded to her.” So after that point, no matter the outcome of the investigation, Mina was Finch’s inamorata, his love.

Well put, Theresa. I whole heartedly agree. :cool:

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:35 pm

I felt that Mina was each man's inamorata in one way or another.

And I like Theresa's answer, "The Medium" sounds like a shirt size. Good one!
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:03 pm

She certainly had most of the men intrigued at one time or another!

Shirt size... :lol: Good one, theresa!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Inamorata”