Inamorata Question #21 - Walter

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Inamorata Question #21 - Walter

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:48 am

Who was Walter? And where did he go after the last séance? (Pg. 298)
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:52 am

Well. thank goodness you are back to asking EASY questions! :-?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:22 am

I'm relieved. :biglaugh:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:51 am

Good question, but haven't we already answered this in a round about way with the other questions :perplexed:

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:58 am

I still have doubts, or maybe I'll call them questions about Walter. And I'll have to get to them later because I have just been handed work to do. :bawl: :banghead:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:30 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Good question, but haven't we already answered this in a round about way with the other questions :perplexed:

I don't think we have tackled him head on yet, GG.

We'll be QofK, I'm having a busy day too!
:banghead:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:37 pm

This has got to be a multiple choice question. Possible answers:

1. As he didn't really exist to start with, he was some sort of mass hysteria thing, he ceased to be imagined. Sohe didn't really go because he was never really there.

2. For the non-skeptics: He went back to whatever heaven/ hell/limbo he came from.

3. For those looking for a personality disorder explanation: her needs in terms of manipulating others were served, so there was no ned for this side of her to come out again. So back inside Mina's head.

4. For conspiracy theorists: The experiment unproven, Mina and her husband stopped the trickery.

5. And for fans of the Gothic: He broke free and headed out into the world to haunt someone else.

There may be a lot more. Personally I'd go for No 4, with 3 as a back-up.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:46 pm

As far as I could tell he left when Mina got pregnant. So I guess that means a number 6 Endora!

#6 Mina gets pregnant and Arthur has a stroke, equals no more Walter.

LOL!!
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:32 pm

I like your list of possible answers, Endora and Raven. I think by the end of the discussion I will probably back off from this position - and, like you, QofK, I still have some questions (the Waltham Hotel matches, for one thing) - but I'm just going to say that I think Walter was the real thing. That he was the spirit of Mina's dead brother who managed to come through her in her drug-induced trance state. He is just too well-developed and unique a character to be only a splinter of Mina's personality (although I do like that theory somewhat also, Betty Sue). I think he did leave and go out into the spirit world because he had accomplished his goals as far as protecting Mina was concerned somehow.

Now that I've written that down, I have no idea how I'll defend this idea any further. It just feels right to me, though. :freaked:
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:34 pm

thanks Endora I think I'll go for number 3 :lol:

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:41 pm

Well, I've pretty much chosen #3 to make sense of the story for myself. I think she subconsciously (or consciously) was aware that she was pregnant and that this would give her the strength and motivation to carry on in her life without the help of Walter. Since he was just a splintering of her personality who came along to fill a desperate need, he only existed in her mind and could just disappear. Maybe she even sensed that she'd burn Crawley while in her trance and that would lead to a stroke, thus freeing her up even more. (That Crawley part is a bit shaky, a bit of a stretch...)
I guess he could have been an actual spirit, Bix (that would be pretty neat!), but then I'd have to rethink the whole book! Too much! :baby:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:41 pm

I agree with Bix. I didn't want to accept that he was real, but it is the option that poses the fewest problems and Ah buts! for me, although I concede that there are some still. Also, he offsets what I know from the historical background, which does suggest she is a fake. I find him quite believable. Maybe because so much of how he is presented rests solely on dialogue. Oddly enough, the novel really came to life for me when he 'appeared'. Also, I think he is a truthful character who exposes what is hidden about others. I didn't want - and still don't want - to believe he really is a dead spirit, because it goesn't go well with my own beliefs about these things, but what the heck! This is fiction!
I think he is the truth at the center, to continue from the last thread, that is foreshadowed at the start of the story, as it foreshadows so many things. Also, a moment that I am arguing is symbolic, is when Finch sees Pike throwing salt around and thinks that it is for unwanted guests, but Pike tells him that it is for the snow. Finch looks for the alternate, rather than accepting what is before him once in a while.
There now. I belive I have climbed down fully from my fence and am now beating a hasty retreat waving my white flag as fast as I can.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Bix wrote: Now that I've written that down, I have no idea how I'll defend this idea any further. It just feels right to me, though. :freaked:

Maybe on faith?

You guys are really cracking me up......

I like the multiple choice idea, Endora, plus the 6th choice, Raven.

I still haven't decided myself.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:59 pm

Endora, I can go for just about any of those theories! :lol: Everytime I read what somebody has written, I change my mind. If he was truly a spirit that would explain some of the physical manifestations of the clock striking, piano playing, etc. If he was a splinter of Mina's personality those things are not explained. If Mina and Arthur were in a conspiracy together then they could certainly have had an accomplice (Pike?) to cause those things. Wait...didn't they send Pike and the housekeeper out of the house during the seances? I have been persuaded that Stanlowe would not have been an accomplice to Arthur because he was too devasted by losing Mina to him. Walter was so protective of Mina and so hateful towards Arthur that I lean towards the theory that he was the ghost of her brother or a splinter of her personality. As to where he went, I suppose it depends on what your theory is on where he came from. Did he perceive his task to be complete protecting Mina? And now that I still haven't made up my mind :mort3: I'll retire to that couch with my Mountain Dew and Doritos until the next person puts up their theory!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:13 pm

I just wanted to clarify what I was looking for in asking where he went. Some of you may have already answered it, but I think I will give you the passage in case you don’t have the book anymore. I was wondering if there was some symbolism of which I am unaware in its description (i.e. “West”).

“I’ve only come to say good-bye.”
A stunned beat; then Crawley asked the question on all our minds. “But where are you going?”
“West.”
“There’s something there you want to see?”
“Mountains,” Walter replied, “though it’s what is on the other side of them that most interests me.”
In a timid voice Fox asked, “Do you think it is the City of God?”
“I hope not!” Walter said, “I would hate to go all that way just to find another dry town. No, I’ll be quite content to find a few others like myself. I know I sometimes come across as hardboiled, but I don’t mind admitting to you gentlemen that it can get lonely here in the evenings with no one to talk to.”

Return to “Inamorata”