Inamorata Question #20 - Truth At The Center

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Inamorata Question #20 - Truth At The Center

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:45 am

Pg. 5. “TRUTH LIES AT THE CENTER OF A CIRCLE. Maybe so for the watch’s owner. But all I stood to discover at the center of the circle of onlookers now surrounding me was a very public embarrassment.”

Is this statement significant to the story?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Bix
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Status: Offline

Unread postby Bix » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:16 am

I think this statement is significant in that the truth does lie at the center of this circle - and that center is Mina Stenson Stanlowe Crawley. If we know the truth about her, we know the truth about everything that has gone on in the story. But we don't know the truth about her, and as Finch says on page 270 (whether we agree with his assessment of his own work or not): "I had done what I'd been sent to do, damn it, had asked the difficult questions and then followed them through to their logical ends: Mina was real. Mina was fake. Mina was neither. Was it my fault the evidence refused to corroborate any one of these conclusions? Or, more perplexingly, corroborated them all?" [Apologies if I've stepped off into another question here.]
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:53 am

She really is at the center of it, isn't she? She was, in fact, the medium that was to be proven or debunked. Is that a clue that Gangemi has given us? :-?

And no worries, Bix, you haven't stepped into "future question" territory. :chill:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:17 pm

Mina was real. Mina was fake. Mina was neither. Was it my fault the evidence refused to corroborate any one of these conclusions? Or, more perplexingly, corroborated them all?"


This statement sounds a lot like what we all have concluded! :perplexed:

Mina, was definitely the center and I suppose they all stood to be embarassed throught the Scientific Amercian contest if they verified her abilities and then she was later debunked.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
SamIam
Posts: 1120
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:15 am
Location: making grilled cheese
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby SamIam » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:13 pm

Well of course Mina was the center of it. She was the one they were trying to disprove and if we had found out if she was a fake or not it would have determined the investigation.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

User avatar
gilly
Posts: 6552
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: australia

Status: Offline

Unread postby gilly » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:22 pm

The circle I think of, with this book, is the circle of people in the seance...And Mina is not at the centre but is just one of the partcipants..So although the truth of the psychic phenomena revolves around Mina..maybe the truth of the story doesn't..All the characters have found out a little more about themselves because of their experiences..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:24 pm

gilly wrote:The circle I think of, with this book, is the circle of people in the seance...And Mina is not at the centre but is just one of the partcipants..So although the truth of the psychic phenomena revolves around Mina..maybe the truth of the story doesn't..All the characters have found out a little more about themselves because of their experiences..


Good point, gilly. I suppose I see her as the center because the actions of the others seem to be based on what she does...or doesn't do.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
suec
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: uk

Status: Offline

Unread postby suec » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:21 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
gilly wrote:The circle I think of, with this book, is the circle of people in the seance...And Mina is not at the centre but is just one of the partcipants..So although the truth of the psychic phenomena revolves around Mina..maybe the truth of the story doesn't..All the characters have found out a little more about themselves because of their experiences..


Good point, gilly. I suppose I see her as the center because the actions of the others seem to be based on what she does...or doesn't do.


gilly, I'm with you on this one. The characters make the circle, and truths are uncovered about them as the story progresses. I think that that is more important than the truth of the mediumship.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:02 pm

suec wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
gilly wrote:The circle I think of, with this book, is the circle of people in the seance...And Mina is not at the centre but is just one of the partcipants..So although the truth of the psychic phenomena revolves around Mina..maybe the truth of the story doesn't..All the characters have found out a little more about themselves because of their experiences..


Good point, gilly. I suppose I see her as the center because the actions of the others seem to be based on what she does...or doesn't do.


gilly, I'm with you on this one. The characters make the circle, and truths are uncovered about them as the story progresses. I think that that is more important than the truth of the mediumship.


I too, like this idea. Very ingenious, Gilly!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.


Return to “Inamorata”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests