Inamorata Question #19 - Skeptics

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:09 am

Suec, DITHOT and GG are getting a something...

A skeptic is a true believer waiting to happen. Aye, but there’s the rub. If a skeptic questions everything, proof will always be near impossible to come by because questions only lead to more questions...

Rather like what we’re all feeling.

"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:08 pm

theresa wrote:In my searching I found this great quote: "Keeping an open mind is a virtue—but not so open that your brains fall out", James Oberg.

So do I agree or disagree with the Noel Coward statement? Maybe...and maybe not. I'm trying to keep an open mind.

The point is that a skeptic is willing to consider all possibilities unless they are proved impossible. Within the book, though, the one person who wrote about a skeptic was so believing! (Conan Doyle who wrote about Holmes). Scientific method had to be based on this, and not faith.

The open mind idea was summed up by Carl Popper, who studied scientific method , in his Bucket Theory. This stated that if you had an open mind, it acted like a bucket, ie you had to be prepared that a lot of c*** would be thrown in.

Closed minds are emptier and cleaner!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Return to “Inamorata”