Inamorata Question #15 ~ Self Deception

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:18 pm

fansmom wrote: The thing that amazed me (in a tidbit? the book? something else I read online?) was about mediums who were discovered to have acted fraudently, whereupon their supporters said, "well, this time she cheated, but usually she's honest."

I read one about a horse that supposedly had psychic powers and the day he was to be tested nothing happened. They concluded that he had just lost his powers that day... :perplexed:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm

:rotflmao: Between today's Inspiration thread and the answers to this question, y'all are cracking me up today! Wacky Wednesday, I guess!

I agree that we do deceive ourselves on many levels. I think you are onto something with the self-preservation idea, Theresa. And for sure, the whole flourishing of the Spiritualist movement in the late 1800's and early 1900's - and even on up to today - bears witness to our powers of self-deception.

Excuse me a minute. . . I think I hear the phone. . .
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Bix wrote::rotflmao: Between today's Inspiration thread and the answers to this question, y'all are cracking me up today! Wacky Wednesday, I guess!

I agree that we do deceive ourselves on many levels. I think you are onto something with the self-preservation idea, Theresa. And for sure, the whole flourishing of the Spiritualist movement in the late 1800's and early 1900's - and even on up to today - bears witness to our powers of self-deception.

Excuse me a minute. . . I think I hear the phone. . .

:lol: And isn't one of the ways we deceive ourselves over the opposite sex? Believing what we choose to about about him... But then, I have also listened in open-mouthed incredulity to what a man believes about me, so it cuts both ways. And I would agree that some of that is down to self-preservation. What we don't know can't hurt us sort of thing. And I would say that I am a very honest person, who doesn't fool anyone, except when I am fooling myself, which is quite often, as I realise some time later. As for Spiritualism, I think it very much comes down to what we want to believe, one way or the other.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:22 pm

I think it is definitely a self defense mechanism to help us deal with the harsher realities of life at times. Or at least give us a way to absorb them more slowly.

(Just got home...no messages on the machine
:bawl: )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:30 pm

I think Shakespeare said it best when he said, "All the world's a stage and we are all but players."

I really do believe that we do put on masks and act as the world wants us to be perceived. We say what people want to hear and not what we truly believe in and that's what sets Johnny Depp apart from other actors.

I think that Finch and the panel told the press what they wanted to hear and Mina told Finch what he wanted to hear at the end of it all.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:[b]I think it is definitely a self defense mechanism to help us deal with the harsher realities of life at times. Or at least give us a way to absorb them more slowly.

Didn't we have information in one of the tidbits that said that the Spiritualist movement had resurgences during and just after the major wars -- like the Civil War, and WWI? Those events would surely fall under the category of a harsher reality.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:23 pm

theresa wrote:Yes, I’m talking to you, KYwoman – because Johnny is going to call me, not you.

Uh oh, another one for Planet Delusion....you can join DITHOT there, theresa. I'm a little busy waiting for Johnny's call...... :lol:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:38 pm

One thing I have noticed, is no two people see the same event in the same way. My sister and I will have such a different view of the same event that I am sure she was not there at all. :lol: Though I do recall someone standing next to me that looked alot like her. Of course time will change a story, and my version will be the whole truth and nothing but! :biglaugh:

Can I live on Planet Delusion? I may already be there actually :blush:

Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:02 pm

KYwoman wrote:
theresa wrote:Yes, I’m talking to you, KYwoman – because Johnny is going to call me, not you.

Uh oh, another one for Planet Delusion....you can join DITHOT there, theresa. I'm a little busy waiting for Johnny's call...... :lol:

One ringy dingy... :grin:

theresa wrote: Didn't we have information in one of the tidbits that said that the Spiritualist movement had resurgences during and just after the major wars -- like the Civil War, and WWI? Those events would surely fall under the category of a harsher reality.

In the Spiritualism tidbit, good memory theresa! :cool: It became very popular during the Civil War period, even Mary Todd Lincoln was quite involved with it. Then there was another resurgence during the aftermath of WWI.

Raven, perception is a powerful thing! I saw a piece on 60 Minutes or some such show where they had someone run into a small auditorium type college classroom, grab the professors purse and run out. The whole thing was staged of course. Not one person in the room gave the same description of the robber.
:-O

Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:18 pm

SamIam..I agree..we all have our masks..We have differing personas according to who we deal with and sometimes we put on a mask to deceive ourselves..for sanity, for survival and to hide away..But the big question is whether we do this all the time..Johnny keeps talking about pretending/acting..There's nothing like a good pretend..it's good therapy.....Book me on that rocket-ship too :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:08 am

This thread went zen purity to Planet Delusion in about 5 posts. I think I'm more cut out for life on Planet Delusion... at least tonight anyway.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:15 am

dharma_bum wrote:This thread went zen purity to Planet Delusion in about 5 posts. I think I'm more cut out for life on Planet Delusion... at least tonight anyway.

I must be delusional I thought it was morning :lol:

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:31 pm

gilly wrote:SamIam..I agree..we all have our masks..We have differing personas according to who we deal with and sometimes we put on a mask to deceive ourselves..for sanity, for survival and to hide away..But the big question is whether we do this all the time..Johnny keeps talking about pretending/acting..There's nothing like a good pretend..it's good therapy.....Book me on that rocket-ship too :cool:

I think so too, however acting is a good kind of pretending. It's designed as an escape from reality and our daily lives. It's a chance to live in someone's else's shoes.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:10 pm

In looking back through the book pondering my answer to today's question, I ran across this passage which I think fits this thread. Finch has found Stanlowe and watched him sticking his arm with the empty syringe. Stanlowe's face takes on "a look of rapt anticipation" which Finch says is the same look on Mina's face as she enters her trances. He says, "Which is why it occurred to me that the morphine addict's was no different from the ceremony we enacted around the seance table: tricking our senses with ritual, until the dark yielded up its dragon."
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:51 pm

Bix wrote:In looking back through the book pondering my answer to today's question, I ran across this passage which I think fits this thread. Finch has found Stanlowe and watched him sticking his arm with the empty syringe. Stanlowe's face takes on "a look of rapt anticipation" which Finch says is the same look on Mina's face as she enters her trances. He says, "Which is why it occurred to me that the morphine addict's was no different from the ceremony we enacted around the seance table: tricking our senses with ritual, until the dark yielded up its dragon."

Good catch, bix!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Inamorata”