Question #14 ~ Names and Places

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:41 pm

marijke wrote:
Liz wrote::wave: marijke, I'm glad you joined our little discussion and shared those street names. It's interesting how the street names were chosen. I'm not sure I'd like to see an entire street of turquoise houses, though. :lol:

Thank you ;)
I feel like I kind of invaded the subject, because I understand this is a book-area, and I didn't read anything for this subject :)

For pics from the Regenboogbuurt (Rainbow Quarter, that is with the colored houses), try this:
http://images.google.nl/images?hl=nl&lr=&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-50,GGLG:nl&q=+site:www.geertfotografeert.nl+regenboogbuurt
http://www.fredt.nl/Midland/index-Almere.html (choose "Regenboogbuurt")
http://proto5.thinkquest.nl/~bge0049/filmpjes/regenboogbuurt_eilandenbuurt.wmv (a little movie)

marijke, you're welcome here even if you didn't read the book. You still had something to contribute to this thread. Thanks for those links. The houses aren't what I had envisioned. The architecture is quite modern (or "futuristic" as they put it). I really like the look of the circular ones. And I had envisioned a bright turquoise. But it is a very muted turquoise--a little like a smokey teal (the color of my house).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

marijke

Unread postby marijke » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:51 pm

Liz wrote:
marijke wrote:
Liz wrote::wave: marijke, I'm glad you joined our little discussion and shared those street names. It's interesting how the street names were chosen. I'm not sure I'd like to see an entire street of turquoise houses, though. :lol:

Thank you ;)
I feel like I kind of invaded the subject, because I understand this is a book-area, and I didn't read anything for this subject :)

For pics from the Regenboogbuurt (Rainbow Quarter, that is with the colored houses), try this:
http://images.google.nl/images?hl=nl&lr=&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-50,GGLG:nl&q=+site:www.geertfotografeert.nl+regenboogbuurt
http://www.fredt.nl/Midland/index-Almere.html (choose "Regenboogbuurt")
http://proto5.thinkquest.nl/~bge0049/filmpjes/regenboogbuurt_eilandenbuurt.wmv (a little movie)

marijke, you're welcome here even if you didn't read the book. You still had something to contribute to this thread. Thanks for those links. The houses aren't what I had envisioned. The architecture is quite modern (or "futuristic" as they put it). I really like the look of the circular ones. And I had envisioned a bright turquoise. But it is a very muted turquoise--a little like a smokey teal (the color of my house).

Well, that wasn't turquoise (couldn't find a pic of that), but "mint"-color. The "Mintstraat", indeed ;)
This quarter is built in 1995-2000. And yes, it is very futuristic ;)
I was given the 'weird' badge but I think everybody's weird and that's the key to it. We should celebrate our individuality, not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.

Made the avatar-pic on June 29 2009... He smiled to ME, ladies...!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:23 pm

Very interesting, marijke! The architecture is very modern and those yellow circular houses look very intriguing. Thanks for sharing the pics!:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:45 pm

That was very interesting, marijke. Good pics, too.

A lot of streets and towns around here are Spanish names and tourists can never pronounce them. There's a small village named Soquel and pronounced So-kell. People call it all sorts of things like S'queel, So'koll, and even squirrel.

The community college name is Cabrillo and the double "ll" is pronounced like a 'y,' but people still pronounce the 'll's'. You'd think by this time, they'd learn. It drives me crazy.
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:51 pm

CharlotteinCA wrote: There's a small village named Soquel and pronounced So-kell. People call it all sorts of things like S'queel, So'koll, and even squirrel.

I had never heard those pronunciations before, Charlotte. Of course, I've been here 16 years and just found out I've been pronouncing Aptos incorrectly. It's pronounced Aptoss. I like my way better--with a long o.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:18 pm

sounds like our good British names of towns that some of you across the pond have trouble pronouncing. :lol: Mind you even over here often names are pronounced differntly from the way people who don't live locally think they should be, because they are local to the area.People from out of the area can come up with some very strange pronounciations of local village names.

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:22 pm

Liz, my son when he was growing up liked to pronounce Aptos as "ape's-toes." :lol:
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:37 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:marijke, welcome to ONBC and thanks for your post! :welcome: I found that very interesting! I love the themes and the houses painted the color of the same color as their street name! That sounds like a wonderful area to live! :cool:

suec, does that Roman wall still exist?

No, afraid not. But the trace of it is with the name, so that's good. I like seeing all these signs of the pasta round me, as you probably can tell.

Marijke,, those buildings really stand out. This is another great thing I think - when the buildings are so different from place to place. That does give a place character, I think.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:30 am

suec wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:marijke, welcome to ONBC and thanks for your post! :welcome: I found that very interesting! I love the themes and the houses painted the color of the same color as their street name! That sounds like a wonderful area to live! :cool:

No, afraid not. But the trace of it is with the name, so that's good. I like seeing all these signs of the pasta round me, as you probably can tell.

Marijke,, those buildings really stand out. This is another great thing I think - when the buildings are so different from place to place. That does give a place character, I think.

agree with that you can especailly see it over here , the architecture differs quite alot, even in our small land.

marijke

Unread postby marijke » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:57 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
suec wrote:

agree with that you can especailly see it over here , the architecture differs quite alot, even in our small land.

Even in The Netherlands, Almere is kind of odd ;)
A kind of playground for architects ;)
I was given the 'weird' badge but I think everybody's weird and that's the key to it. We should celebrate our individuality, not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:02 am

marijke wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
suec wrote:

Are there any older traditional buildings or is it just the newer ones.Here new buildings/houses have to fit in with the traditional as much as possible.

marijke

Unread postby marijke » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:14 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
marijke wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
suec wrote:

Are there any older traditional buildings or is it just the newer ones.Here new buildings/houses have to fit in with the traditional as much as possible.

Almere is "raised" in 1976, we don't have really old buildings. But there is "traditional" building, and there is "the architect playground". It is mixed up perfectly.
The "Regenboogbuurt" with the colored houses is only a small part of Almere, but there are other parts of Almere that has been part of an open-air-exhibition for buildings (Muziekwijk, Filmwijk).
And of course there are many "normal/traditional" buildings.
Both "modern architecture" and "traditional" are mixed op perfectly.

By the way: most Dutchmen don't like the modern architecture...! They don't understand how we can live in a "windy, cold polder" with "weird houses"...! They think it has no "soul". And OK, it isn't like living in an old city with ages of history, but I love to live here, there's space enough for everyone.

I think everybody here understands that I am proud of living in an unique place like this ;)

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:07 pm

CharlotteinCA wrote:The community college name is Cabrillo and the double "ll" is pronounced like a 'y,' but people still pronounce the 'll's'. You'd think by this time, they'd learn. It drives me crazy.
Ok, so how many of you are doing the "via"/"villa" scene from DJDM?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:50 pm

Good one, fansmom! :biglaugh:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:51 am

fansmom wrote:
CharlotteinCA wrote:The community college name is Cabrillo and the double "ll" is pronounced like a 'y,' but people still pronounce the 'll's'. You'd think by this time, they'd learn. It drives me crazy.
Ok, so how many of you are doing the "via"/"villa" scene from DJDM?

I will never be able to say the name of that college again without thinking of Don Juan now. That is going to be rough, considering the name of that college has escaped my lips over 20 times in the past week.

Return to “Inamorata”