Question #14 ~ Names and Places

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
bluebird
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Southeastern PA

Status: Offline

Unread postby bluebird » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:06 am

Must tell you about my adventure last week...this is about town names, not street names ---- anyway.

I had a flat tire, picked up a nail...So I pull into this restaurant parking lot, call AAA (roadside service) to come fix my flat. The dispatcher (after asking if I was in a safe location) asked me what town I was located in...I told him I was not in a town but was between Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse......there was this long pause, and he said, "Excuse me, what did you say???"
I very clearly ennunciated "I am between Bird-in-Hand -- B-I-R-D-in-H-A-N-D and Intercourse, I-N-T-E-R-C-O-U-R-S-E, just like it sounds, Intercourse. There's also a town nearby by the name of Paradise....but I'm not in Paradise, I'm between Bird-in-Hand and" he stops me and says, "Yeah, Intercourse...are you kidding me?????""

By this time, I'm in the restaurant, hoping to get a street address, and the cashier,who is laughing, says "Are you going to tell him about Blue Ball?" That's another nearby town....
No, I tell her. ...."and I'm not going to tell him about Virginville, either....:"

The dispatcher was in Florida and had never heard of these Pennsylvania towns.....


bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

User avatar
dharma_bum
Posts: 2509
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Villa Incognito

Status: Offline

Unread postby dharma_bum » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:15 am

CharlotteinCA wrote:The community college name is Cabrillo and the double "ll" is pronounced like a 'y,' but people still pronounce the 'll's'. You'd think by this time, they'd learn. It drives me crazy.

Juan Cabrillo, the explorer who charted a lot of the California coast, was Portuguese—not Spanish—and his name in Portugeuse was Cabrilho… “l” pronounced. Ironic, huh?
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:27 am

dharma_bum wrote:
CharlotteinCA wrote:The community college name is Cabrillo and the double "ll" is pronounced like a 'y,' but people still pronounce the 'll's'. You'd think by this time, they'd learn. It drives me crazy.

Juan Cabrillo, the explorer who charted a lot of the California coast, was Portuguese—not Spanish—and his name in Portugeuse was Cabrilho… “l” pronounced. Ironic, huh?


Very! :eyebrow:

Based on the below, the choice was probably made to pronounce it in Spanish because of the nature of the ethnic population of California.


From Wikipedia:

Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo (in Spanish, also known by the Portuguese version João Rodrigues Cabrilho) (ca. 1499 – January 3, 1543) was a Portuguese explorer noted for his exploration of the west coast of North America while sailing for Spain.

Although his discoveries went largely unnoticed at the time, none of his place names were permanently adopted, and he founded no settlements on the well-populated coast, Cabrillo is now remembered as the first European to travel the California coast, and many streets and buildings in California bear his name. One such example is Cabrillo College in Aptos, California, another is the portion of the Pacific Coast Highway 1 that runs through Big Sur, which is also called the Cabrillo Highway. In San Diego, the National Park Service operates a monument, Cabrillo National Monument, overlooking the bay at Point Loma commemorating his first landing in California and offering views of both San Diego and the Pacific Ocean.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:29 am

bluebird wrote:Must tell you about my adventure last week...this is about town names, not street names ---- anyway.

I had a flat tire, picked up a nail...So I pull into this restaurant parking lot, call AAA (roadside service) to come fix my flat. The dispatcher (after asking if I was in a safe location) asked me what town I was located in...I told him I was not in a town but was between Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse......there was this long pause, and he said, "Excuse me, what did you say???"
I very clearly ennunciated "I am between Bird-in-Hand -- B-I-R-D-in-H-A-N-D and Intercourse, I-N-T-E-R-C-O-U-R-S-E, just like it sounds, Intercourse. There's also a town nearby by the name of Paradise....but I'm not in Paradise, I'm between Bird-in-Hand and" he stops me and says, "Yeah, Intercourse...are you kidding me?????""

By this time, I'm in the restaurant, hoping to get a street address, and the cashier,who is laughing, says "Are you going to tell him about Blue Ball?" That's another nearby town....
No, I tell her. ...."and I'm not going to tell him about Virginville, either....:"

The dispatcher was in Florida and had never heard of these Pennsylvania towns.....


bluebird


That's hilarious, Bluebird. :biglaugh: But I think I'd be thinking the same thing as the dispatcher.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:15 am

bluebird, that is too funny! That alsmost sounds like something off of Candid Camera! I'll bet that dispatcher's face was priceless. :-O
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
marijke
Posts: 6871
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Dutch clay and mud...

Status: Offline

Unread postby marijke » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:20 am

bluebird wrote:Must tell you about my adventure last week...this is about town names, not street names ---- anyway.

I had a flat tire, picked up a nail...So I pull into this restaurant parking lot, call AAA (roadside service) to come fix my flat. The dispatcher (after asking if I was in a safe location) asked me what town I was located in...I told him I was not in a town but was between Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse......there was this long pause, and he said, "Excuse me, what did you say???"
I very clearly ennunciated "I am between Bird-in-Hand -- B-I-R-D-in-H-A-N-D and Intercourse, I-N-T-E-R-C-O-U-R-S-E, just like it sounds, Intercourse. There's also a town nearby by the name of Paradise....but I'm not in Paradise, I'm between Bird-in-Hand and" he stops me and says, "Yeah, Intercourse...are you kidding me?????""

By this time, I'm in the restaurant, hoping to get a street address, and the cashier,who is laughing, says "Are you going to tell him about Blue Ball?" That's another nearby town....
No, I tell her. ...."and I'm not going to tell him about Virginville, either....:"

The dispatcher was in Florida and had never heard of these Pennsylvania towns.....


bluebird


Image
I was given the 'weird' badge but I think everybody's weird and that's the key to it. We should celebrate our individuality, not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.

Made the avatar-pic on June 29 2009... He smiled to ME, ladies...!

User avatar
fansmom
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Olney, Maryland

Status: Offline

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:17 pm

bluebird wrote:I had a flat tire, picked up a nail...So I pull into this restaurant parking lot, call AAA (roadside service) to come fix my flat. The dispatcher (after asking if I was in a safe location) asked me what town I was located in...I told him I was not in a town but was between Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse......there was this long pause, and he said, "Excuse me, what did you say???"
I very clearly ennunciated "I am between Bird-in-Hand -- B-I-R-D-in-H-A-N-D and Intercourse, I-N-T-E-R-C-O-U-R-S-E, just like it sounds, Intercourse. There's also a town nearby by the name of Paradise....but I'm not in Paradise, I'm between Bird-in-Hand and" he stops me and says, "Yeah, Intercourse...are you kidding me?????""bluebird
I'm just trying to figure out whether "A flat tire on the road to Paradise" or "A flat tire on the road to Intercourse" sounds better. :-? :lol:

User avatar
bluebird
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Southeastern PA

Status: Offline

Unread postby bluebird » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:22 pm

fansmom wrote:
bluebird wrote:I had a flat tire, picked up a nail...So I pull into this restaurant parking lot, call AAA (roadside service) to come fix my flat. The dispatcher (after asking if I was in a safe location) asked me what town I was located in...I told him I was not in a town but was between Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse......there was this long pause, and he said, "Excuse me, what did you say???"
I very clearly ennunciated "I am between Bird-in-Hand -- B-I-R-D-in-H-A-N-D and Intercourse, I-N-T-E-R-C-O-U-R-S-E, just like it sounds, Intercourse. There's also a town nearby by the name of Paradise....but I'm not in Paradise, I'm between Bird-in-Hand and" he stops me and says, "Yeah, Intercourse...are you kidding me?????""bluebird
I'm just trying to figure out whether "A flat tire on the road to Paradise" or "A flat tire on the road to Intercourse" sounds better. :-? :lol:



Fansmom ~~~ Since I'm a widow and have been for some time, a flat tire on the way to either Paradise or Intercourse sounds........Interesting.
:blush:


bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:50 pm

bluebird, I'm sorry for your loss :hug: but I really loved your story!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!


Return to “Inamorata”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests