Inamorata Question #11 - Casting

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Inamorata Question #11 - Casting

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:03 pm

Who would you cast in the movie, other than Johnny?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:07 pm

Do we at this point know if Johnny is going to be in it or just produce?
I didn't think of anyone to play these roles at all. But to play Finch we need a young actor, I thought someone like Ryan Phillipe not sure if I spelt that right.
the others I just couldn't think of anyone clearly who jumped out at me.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:12 pm

GG, I don't think that there has been any talk yet of Johnny actually acting in the film.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Larkwoodgirl

Re: Inamorata Question #11 - Casting

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:53 pm

Liz wrote:Who would you cast in the movie, other than Johnny?

Well, I am going to say Drew Barrymore as Mina, John Cusak as Finch, Anthony Hopkins as McLaughlin and Kevin Spacey as Crawley.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:09 pm

The only one that comes to mind for me at this point is Tobey Maguire for Finch. I like your choice of Kevin Spacey for Crawley, Larkwood. He is such a good actor.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:05 pm

I just thought of another.....

Natalie Portman for Mina.

fansmom

Re: Inamorata Question #11 - Casting

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:57 pm

Larkwoodgirl wrote:Kevin Spacey as Crawley.
I'm not good at this (I want Johnny in every role!) but I really like the Kevin Spacey idea.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:01 pm

Maggie Gyllenhall as Mina. Not because she was in Secretary. I just think she has the right face, beautiful with an old-fashioned feel. Also, I think she is very feminine in a womanly way, as opposed to girlish, but at the same time, could appeal to the male protective instincts. Finally, I think she could hint at the duality and the mystery very well.

I thought of Ian Holm for McLaughlin, but prefer Larkwood's suggestion of Anthony Hopkins.

Liz, I also thought of Tobey Maguire for Finch.

I thought of Malkovich for Crawley and then decided against him. I'm not sure why. Perhaps because he has a number of suspect characters on his CV. I like the idea of Kevin Spacey very much.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:12 pm

Liz wrote:I just thought of another.....

Natalie Portman for Mina.

Yes, actually it would have been a perfect role for Winona..but I am not sure if the age is correct. Natalie P reminds me a lot of Winona...
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:15 pm

I am hopeless at the casting questions! I thought of Mary Reilly (probably because I just saw her in Mrs. Henderson Presents) and she was also Jane in The Libertine. I like the idea of Anthony Hopkins, Tobey McGuire and Kevin Spacey!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:11 pm

I wouldn’t cast Johnny in any of the main or supporting roles… so that makes it easy. (But in a cameo, he could play a nicely wicked Stanlowe/Walter).

Finch… Liz, Toby Maguire would be good… just the right degree of youth and nerdiness
Mina… Naomi Watts… maybe? Or, Cate Blancett? I do like Maggie Gyllenthal, but I’m thinking that Mina might need a bit more age. She should look almost a decade older than Finch.
Crawley… Yes, Kevin Spacey would be great. How about Colin Firth? Crawley was described as handsome. (Sorry Kevin).
I think John Cusack is a bit old for Finch… but he’d make a great Flynn.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:18 pm

dharma_bum wrote:I wouldn’t cast Johnny in any of the main or supporting roles… so that makes it easy. (But in a cameo, he could play a nicely wicked Stanlowe/Walter).

Finch… Liz, Toby Maguire would be good… just the right degree of youth and nerdiness
Mina… Naomi Watts… maybe? Or, Cate Blancett? I do like Maggie Gyllenthal, but I’m thinking that Mina might need a bit more age. She should look almost a decade older than Finch.
Crawley… Yes, Kevin Spacey would be great. How about Colin Firth? Crawley was described as handsome. (Sorry Kevin).

I think Colin Firth is too nice. Kevin Spacey could pull it off better. But I have to agree that although I think Kevin is good looking, Colin seems to better fit the physical description of Crawley.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:19 am

Liz wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:I wouldn’t cast Johnny in any of the main or supporting roles… so that makes it easy. (But in a cameo, he could play a nicely wicked Stanlowe/Walter).

I think Colin Firth is too nice. Kevin Spacey could pull it off better. But I have to agree that although I think Kevin is good looking, Colin seems to better fit the physical description of Crawley.

Actually Colin can play bad but he is best in comedies so not sure. Interesting that most of you are chosing Brit actors.Natalie Portman is an interesting idea but I think she is way too young. Winona is actually a good choice she has the right fragility and can be strong too and seductive. A younger Johnny could have played Finch, but other than the person I already suggested I really can't think of the right person for the part.Not sure about Spacey playing Crawley :-? how about Jeremy Irons?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:38 am

GG, I have to agree that Natalie Portman is probably too young. I think she would be able to bring Mina's personality to the screen though. But Winona is the right age and would probably do a wonderful job. I think Jeremy Irons is too old for the role.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:44 am

Liz wrote:GG, I have to agree that Natalie Portman is probably too young. I think she would be able to bring Mina's personality to the screen though. But Winona is the right age and would probably do a wonderful job. I think Jeremy Irons is too old for the role.

You could be right.

Return to “Inamorata”