Inamorata Question #9 ~ 15 Minutes of Fame

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

SamIam

Unread postby SamIam » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:35 pm

Everyone has to fufill their egos, it's just some more than others. It's like the people who go on American Idol and don't make it, but they still get their fifthteen minutes of fame. It's the same thing as Crawley. They get the attention and sometimes it pays off like William Hung.
Ambition without inspiration is like a boat on dry land.

the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -Eleanor Roosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:36 pm

Liz wrote:
QueenofKings wrote:
Liz wrote:
Betty Sue wrote: I do NOT understand enjoying the Jerry Springer, reality tv kind of fame!!!

I have a hard time understanding why someone would want fame so much that she/he would be delighted with negative fame.

A certain segment of our culture says that any publicity is good publicity. I happen to disagree.

And as far as this fad for reality TV. It is the only way some people will ever get on TV and that's all they want: To be on TV, to be seen by the multitudes. These are people who essentially have low self-esteem. After all, they aren't going to be on TV for writing a great book, founding a worthwhile charity, helping to find a cure for a disease, being educator of the year or heading the community watch group in their neighborhood. Those are the people who should be on TV, and sometimes, they are.

I really think that is all they want. And the only motive for that I can think of is low self-esteem, which results in the need for attention and recognition.
]

QofK, I too wish we would see more of those people you mention in your last paragraph more. They are the real heroes that deserve our attention. But it seems what sells is the polar opposite. :-/

Liz, maybe the reason it sells is because the people watching have the same need?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:39 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Liz wrote:
QueenofKings wrote:
Liz wrote:
Betty Sue wrote: I do NOT understand enjoying the Jerry Springer, reality tv kind of fame!!!

I have a hard time understanding why someone would want fame so much that she/he would be delighted with negative fame.

A certain segment of our culture says that any publicity is good publicity. I happen to disagree.

And as far as this fad for reality TV. It is the only way some people will ever get on TV and that's all they want: To be on TV, to be seen by the multitudes. These are people who essentially have low self-esteem. After all, they aren't going to be on TV for writing a great book, founding a worthwhile charity, helping to find a cure for a disease, being educator of the year or heading the community watch group in their neighborhood. Those are the people who should be on TV, and sometimes, they are.

I really think that is all they want. And the only motive for that I can think of is low self-esteem, which results in the need for attention and recognition.
]

QofK, I too wish we would see more of those people you mention in your last paragraph more. They are the real heroes that deserve our attention. But it seems what sells is the polar opposite. :-/

Liz, maybe the reason it sells is because the people watching have the same need?

I hadn't thought of that. :ohyes: I hate reality shows.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:07 pm

Immortality. I think that is it for me, not speaking about Crawley or anyone else, but thinking about myself here .....I always wanted to be a writer and I have the great American Novel in a box in the attic. That book, printed and bound, would be proof forever that I was here! Sorry, the children I produced are not a legacy, they are their own people. My grandchildren may have fond memories of me. But then what. Will their children know and remember me? No, I want more than the geneology, I want something else of my essence to endure and remain when I am gone.

My closest thing to 15 minutes of fame ocurred a few years ago when I won a "hands on" contest for a used car. I stood with my hand on that darned thing for 61 plus hours, people drove by and honked, etc etc as the contest went into longer and longer hours and it became a community "event."

But that was not the same thing as the permanence of my "novel".

I don't know if it was the same for Crawley or not. but his real life counterpart has achieved something of that historical significance.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:37 pm

But, nebraska, you've written your book, so why not try and get it published? Books belong in the world where people will read them, enjoy them, and grow from them. This is a legitimate thing that you want to do, definitely not in the "put me on reality TV" category.

I don't know if it was the same for Crawley or not. but his real life counterpart has achieved something of that historical significance.

Thank you for bringing that up. There is some of that immortality in being the subject of a published work.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:41 am

I think people seek their 15 minutes of fame because, for them, there’s just not enough love in the world… and that is a huge difference from people who have had fame thrust upon them.

I think the drive to create is mostly solitary… whether it is the written word, art, music or even a character for an actor. You are in competition with no one but yourself and you experience your own small triumphs and setbacks independent of how the world judges you. I truly understand the irony of saying “awards don’t matter,” then, of course, being humbled when you receive them. I think most creative people are their own harshest critic and passing your own litmus test is far more gratifying than any award you could receive…. and to Nebraska’s point, I do think that most artists want the leave this world somehow changed by having been there.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:58 am

Liz wrote:

I know of children that would do anything for attention, positive or negative. It seems the all the same to me.
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:39 am

I think everyone wants recognition for a job well done, no matter how much self-esteem we have. It is just human nature. If you write a book and no one reads it, what’s the point? If you paint a picture and no one sees it, what’s the point? People create art to share it, I think, even though the creating of it is a solitary process.

Nebraska, I really hope you do something about publishing that novel. Who knows, we could be discussing it here someday, along with QofK's novel. (boy I sure hope I'm remembering this correctly that it is you Queen, who's working on a novel :lol: :blush: )

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:52 pm

You are correct, Liz. I am writing a book and I have a screenplay I'm working on. And, sure, I want people to read it, but that's not why I write. I write because I can't live any other way.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:57 pm

QueenofKings wrote:You are correct, Liz. I am writing a book and I have a screenplay I'm working on. And, sure, I want people to read it, but that's not why I write. I write because I can't live any other way.

I'm glad you have followed your passion. I can relate. As an artist, I need to create art. It may not always be in the classic form, but it is art nonetheless.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:37 pm

nebraska wrote:Immortality.
I agree completely, Nebraska. Whether it's a desire to be known after we're gone, or a desire to be known outside of our immediate circle, I think it's a quest for immortality.

Bloggers have that desire, too. "Look at me! Pay attention to me! Isn't what I have to say important/admirable/interesting?"

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:55 am

Sorry, just posted something here in the wrong place :banghead:

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:40 pm

I've always pondered that saying..The pedantic person in me says why only 15 minutes :grin: So I guess it's a metaphor... a recognition that we all want some positive affirmation for what we do..I think the 15 minutes,or however long,is important if it used positively..to do some good in the world,to change someone's life for the better..I've often wondered how shallow people like Paris Hilton,who get more than their fair share of 15 mintes, live with themselves everyday... :-O
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:51 pm

Truer words were never spoken. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Inamorata”