Inamorata Question #9 ~ 15 Minutes of Fame

by Joseph Gangemi

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Inamorata Question #9 ~ 15 Minutes of Fame

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:29 am

pg. 189 – Just after the Crowleys have met with the press, Finch has this to say about Arthur:

“I might have been heartened by this performance if I hadn’t found him on the kitchen phone a few minutes later with Gimbel’s department store, arranging for the rush delivery of a cabinet radio so that he an dMina might hear themselves—or at least their pseudonyms—mentioned on the evening news. I leaned in the kitchen doorway and watched Crawley barking orders into the phone, transformed before my worried eyes into that harried and vainglorious species of Homo sapiens—the Celebrity.”

Why do people want their 15 minutes of fame?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:32 am

I think it makes people feel important, and gives them a sense of power. And as we know, power can be addictive, which is why I think so many celebrities struggle to stay in the spotlight - and make train wrecks of their lives when they realize they can't. But there is also the potential for a lot of money to be made in thsoe 15 minutes, and that is certainly a motivator for some people.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:43 am

I agree, lumi. For most of us, celebrity is our one shot at being the alpha male or alpha female of the pack, if only for those 15 minutes. And while I know money is a huge motivation to achieve celebrity, I think that drive for celebrity still comes more from the need for recognition and power and importance on a grander scale than our immediate daily lives provide.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:43 am

lumi and Bix, I think money is definitely a motivator. As for staying on top as a celebrity it must be addicitve for some people from a monetary standpoint and from a recognition and power standpoint. It's sad to see all the child stars that fall so hard. For the average guy sometimes I feel like it is a way to say, "Hey, it's me! I exist!"
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

QueenofKings

Re: Inamorata Question #9 ~ 15 Minutes of Fame

Unread postby QueenofKings » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:20 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Why do people want their 15 minutes of fame?[/b]

I don't know why. I've had mine and it's overrated. What do I mean by that? Well, if you're just doing what you do, the thought of the money you could get doesn't enter into it. In fact, you could wind up spending money on a project you believe in strongly and losing money. And, even worse, like with those "child stars" you could lose yourself. That's why the only people who want fame have never had it.

Other reasons to want fame: Competition, ego boost, narcissism, power, to let the world see great work.
The Crawleys have a little bit of what drives modern day folks to want to air their lives out on Jerry Springer.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:47 am

Well, if you're just doing what you do, the thought of the money you could get doesn't enter into it. In fact, you could wind up spending money on a project you believe in strongly and losing money.

Sounds very much like Johnny, QofK. Although he has certainly had more than 15 minutes, his populaity has waxed and waned over the years. I don't think you could sustain a public lifestyle if you weren't enjoying what you were doing. You hear musicians or stage actors talk about how important making that connection is with the moment and with the audience when on stage. The energy that keeps them coming back. If you are only in it for the fame I think you would burn out in a hurry. Good comparison to Jerry Springer. :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Larkwoodgirl

Re: Inamorata Question #9 ~ 15 Minutes of Fame

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:24 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Why do people want their 15 minutes of fame?

I think that people perceive fame or celebrity as giving them license to exhibit egotistical arrogance and behavior that they would otherwise have to keep in check. In the real world, people are just not going to put up with huge egos and bad behavior.

Celebrity definitely does not bring out the best in a lot of people. It seems to only amplify the worst.

Every time I hear the word celebrity now I think of Paris Hilton. It makes me gag. She has set a new low standard for the word celebrity that will never be surpassed.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:47 pm

I see it as less about power and more about the need for acceptance and recognition. Some people just can't get enough. And I think it can be addictive--once you've experienced it, you want more.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:22 pm

Liz wrote:I see it as less about power and more about the need for acceptance and recognition. Some people just can't get enough. And I think it can be addictive--once you've experienced it, you want more.

Addictive to both the person seeking the fame and the one who watches it all happen. Think of the whole ghastly world of reality TV. It seems that the whole world has got the addiction of looking to see what fame can do to a person.

And I won't even mention how this is driven by our reptile press!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Liz wrote: I see it as less about power and more about the need for acceptance and recognition. Some people just can't get enough. And I think it can be addictive--once you've experienced it, you want more.

To quote a famous actress, "You like me. You really like me!" :lol:

Endora wrote: Addictive to both the person seeking the fame and the one who watches it all happen. Think of the whole ghastly world of reality TV. It seems that the whole world has got the addiction of looking to see what fame can do to a person.

Reality tv is an excellent example, Endora. The public seems to love a train wreck for some reason. :eyebrow:

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:16 pm

Attention, purely and simply. Can't understand it myself, but the advent of reality tv has certainly shown up some of the human race in a bad light. These days its all about getting rich quick without having to do the work and many people see celebrity as the easiest route.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:37 pm

I can understand wanting lots and lots of fame if you're in a business where it's important to your occupation---show business, maybe politics, ... Of course, even some of those people would love to have the fame without all of its ramifications. I do NOT understand enjoying the Jerry Springer, reality tv kind of fame!!! My fifteen minutes were when I was in grade school (there's been a long, dry spell since then...). As Liz mentioned, the 'acceptance and recognition' were very good for me, but I never did like being in the spotlight and have avoided it all my life. So it's hard for me to comprehend those who want it. I was embarrassed for Arthur. :blush: However, I do respect those who must live their lives in public and do so with class! :lilyrose:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:11 pm

Betty Sue wrote: I do NOT understand enjoying the Jerry Springer, reality tv kind of fame!!!

I have a hard time understanding why someone would want fame so much that she/he would be delighted with negative fame.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:01 pm

Liz wrote:
Betty Sue wrote: I do NOT understand enjoying the Jerry Springer, reality tv kind of fame!!!

I have a hard time understanding why someone would want fame so much that she/he would be delighted with negative fame.

A certain segment of our culture says that any publicity is good publicity. I happen to disagree.

And as far as this fad for reality TV. It is the only way some people will ever get on TV and that's all they want: To be on TV, to be seen by the multitudes. These are people who essentially have low self-esteem. After all, they aren't going to be on TV for writing a great book, founding a worthwhile charity, helping to find a cure for a disease, being educator of the year or heading the community watch group in their neighborhood. Those are the people who should be on TV, and sometimes, they are.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:30 pm

QueenofKings wrote:
Liz wrote:

A certain segment of our culture says that any publicity is good publicity. I happen to disagree.

And as far as this fad for reality TV. It is the only way some people will ever get on TV and that's all they want: To be on TV, to be seen by the multitudes. These are people who essentially have low self-esteem. After all, they aren't going to be on TV for writing a great book, founding a worthwhile charity, helping to find a cure for a disease, being educator of the year or heading the community watch group in their neighborhood. Those are the people who should be on TV, and sometimes, they are.

I really think that is all they want. And the only motive for that I can think of is low self-esteem, which results in the need for attention and recognition.

Return to “Inamorata”