ALWD Question #26 ~ The END!

by Nick Hornby

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:42 pm

I don't know KY...it would be hard to see the view with my eyes closed tight! :baby:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:56 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I don't know KY...it would be hard to see the view with my eyes closed tight! :baby:

Come on DITHOT, don't be a :baby: It's like riding a kiddie merry-go-round, just real high up!! :lol:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:58 pm

And therein lies the problem! :freaked:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:01 pm

KYwoman wrote: :applause: A BIG THANKS :thanks!: to Liz and DITHOT for being such great moderators and providing us with a wonderful place to discuss books. Also, thanks to the Noodlemantras for providing interesting points of view in the discussion of ALWD. I read the book, but was a lurker :shhh: on this one. I enjoyed this book enough that it got me to read another of Hornby's books, with more on the way. Can't wait to see what Johnny does with this one. :bounce:

BTW DITHOT, you'd like that London Eye ride....it's not scary and has a great view.

I was a bit of a lurker on this one too KYw....JD adventures and vacations took me away a little too much to participate as much as I would have liked. I liked Hornby's style on this, especially giving each character a voice so that we could experience their own point of view. I thought the ending was perfect. These characters are in the process of growing and evolving and it wouldn't have rang true for the ending to be tied up neatly. I like that we can think of them meeting up again in six months and keeping in touch with each other. I also liked the ferris wheel analogy. Very fitting.

Thanks DITHOT and Liz for your wonderful tidbits and discussion questions! :cool:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:48 am

I liked the ending because it was just so matter-of-fact...the way life often is..The ferris wheel was like the wheel of life,so I found the symbolism really apt.....My BIG thanks to Liz and DITHOT for all their background research and thoughtful questions...You do us and Johnny proud.. :grouphug: :love:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:24 pm

I also liked the ending. I liked the fact that they stared at it "trying to work it out" because it symbolises trying to find meaning in life in the way that we do from time to time and that they are actually doing this now, as opposed to wanting to give up. The wheel has both positive and negative connotations for me, which I also liked because it fits in with the book as a whole. One negative image that came to mind was, a wheel goes round rather than going somewhere - as in a hamster's cage - but then I am being a half-empty person here. More likely perhaps is the wheel of fortune - it has turned again in their favour now and they are on the up again. That theme of fate cropping up again and Cosmic Tony. I liked the humour too _ Maureen not reminding Martin about the newsgent's job because she didn't want to rub it in. Also I liked the multiple narrative throughout .

I like this book more than others I have read by this author - but then I didn't have the benefit of discussing those books here. A massive thank you as always Liz and DIDHOT for your fantastic hard work! :applause:
Now I've got to go and read the TL question... :bounce:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:15 pm

Count me as one who liked the ending, for many of the reasons listed: the symbolism, the not-too-tidiness of it, the sense of reality.

It's fascinating to me how much we learn about each other in these discussions. Some of the books we've read recently seem to be Rorschach tests for us. And we sure do run the spectrum from extraordinary (to me, at least) risk-takers, to people who are sometimes too cautious to post.

As usual, a big shout-out to Liz and DITHOT, for their as always excellent job of entertaining us, informing us, and trying to keep us in control! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:31 pm

fansmom wrote:Count me as one who liked the ending, for many of the reasons listed: the symbolism, the not-too-tidiness of it, the sense of reality.

It's fascinating to me how much we learn about each other in these discussions. Some of the books we've read recently seem to be Rorschach tests for us. And we sure do run the spectrum from extraordinary (to me, at least) risk-takers, to people who are sometimes too cautious to post.

As usual, a big shout-out to Liz and DITHOT, for their as always excellent job of entertaining us, informing us, and trying to keep us in control! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

That is an interesting observations, fansmom. These books do have us learning about each other and, at least in my case, myself too! I hope the cautious ones will take heart from you and jump in. :cool:

Liz and I enjoy what we do very much. :bounce: :bounce: Somone has to keep you rowdies in line...
:grin:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “A Long Way Down”