ALWD Question #21 ~ A rose by any other name...

by Nick Hornby

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:47 am

dharma_bum wrote: A female colleague once told me I was nuts... a "sandbox" name would never give me credibility in the workplace.

I'm kinda getting attached to Dharma... wierd, huh?

I love the description of "sandbox" name -- that was what I found when I used my nickname again after weeks of using my legal name in class -- it felt playful and sensuous somehow........

I think it is interesting that most of us here have chosen to use an alias -- I do think of you as Dharma. Zoners with whom I have a relationship away from the board are still their Zone name to me, I have trouble learning to call them by another name even if it is their "real" one.

And then there are the avatars. I tend to look at the avatars before I look at the name, I suppose our choices of avatar have something to say about who we are just like the name we choose to use here.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 am

Liz wrote:
Betty Sue wrote:
Liz wrote: Now you see why I hate to be called Elizabeth.

But, Liz, Elizabeth is such a beautiful name!

It does sound really good when Orlando says it to Keira, :cloud9: but on me, it just makes me cringe. :mort1:

I can understand how you feel because the only people who call me by my given name are my folks, my sister and my friends I played music with 30 some odd years ago. Oh, and the IRS.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:08 am

QueenofKings wrote:
Liz wrote:
Betty Sue wrote:

It does sound really good when Orlando says it to Keira, :cloud9: but on me, it just makes me cringe. :mort1:

I can understand how you feel because the only people who call me by my given name are my folks, my sister and my friends I played music with 30 some odd years ago. Oh, and the IRS.

Well, there's no escaping them now is there! :-O Is it just a southern thing or do you know you're in trouble when someone calls you by your first and middle name at the same time? :lol: :mad:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:21 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
QueenofKings wrote:
Liz wrote:
Betty Sue wrote:

Well, there's no escaping them now is there! :-O Is it just a southern thing or do you know you're in trouble when someone calls you by your first and middle name at the same time? :lol: :mad:

Not just a southern thing. When my mama uses my first and middle name, it means I'm in trouble. My people are from NY and LA, although she lives in Florida now.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:01 pm

nebraska wrote:And then there are the avatars. I tend to look at the avatars before I look at the name, I suppose our choices of avatar have something to say about who we are just like the name we choose to use here.

This is very true. Maybe it's time for me to change my avatar. :eyebrow:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:07 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:And then there are the avatars. I tend to look at the avatars before I look at the name, I suppose our choices of avatar have something to say about who we are just like the name we choose to use here.

I think our choice of names says a lot about this question. How many of us post under our own names? Not many. A name lets us be who we want to be.And certainly the pic defines us. I often think "why didi they choose that, what is it saying about them". But then I think the same about the sig lines.

There is an interesting section about the developement of names, and their relationship to class and achievement in Steven Levett's (sp?) Freakonomics
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:14 pm

Liz wrote:This is very true. Maybe it's time for me to change my avatar. :eyebrow:

Elizabeth!! Now you're being insecure again!! :mad:
(This from someone with NO avatar and a fake name... :-| )
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:44 pm

:lol: Well, Liz< I can't help thinking of that time you told me my avatar was very me. I don't think I ever got round to asking you why. I like both Liz and Elizabeth. They have a different feel and it is nice to have the option. It doesn't just sound good when OB is saying it either... there's Rochester too.
My real name is very unusual. I didn't meet anyone with the same name as me until last year, which gives you an idea. My mum chose it because she wanted something unusual, not a little girl's name, but one suitable for an elegant woman. It was a right pain when I was growing up. Kids would say, you what! What's your name again? How do you spell it? And then take the mickey out of it. So I didn't like it much. I like it now though. I like that it is unusual, but it is still an issue because there is a pop star with the same name and folk think they know how to pronounce my name, when they don't. So I have to correct them. I have always had to explain my name and in that sense I'm tired of it. Also, it doesn't shorten easily, so it never has a friendly feel. Perhaps that is one of the reasons I chose my user name, because it is an abbreviation. It's a play on susie too in TMWC.
Oh, and I found this quotation today, which seems relevant somehow, somewhere::
We are who we pretend to be, so we must be careful about who it is we pretend to be.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm

I like that quote, Suec. :cool: I forgot about Rochester saying the name. What was I thinking? :-? I remember now the feelings I got when he said the name while I was watching the movie. :drool: I'm sure that after I've seen it a couple more times I won't forget how it sounds. Then I may be changing my name back. :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:43 pm

Suec, I forgot to say.....

I can't really explain why I said the avatar was so you. I'm assuming it's the current one? I still think that. It's just a feeling I have.

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:59 pm

Liz, we have another thing in common, Elizabeth is my middle name. :)

Usually I don't like it when people shorten names, or assume that you like your name to be shortened, like, William, and they assume that he likes to be called Billy. Maybe he's Will kinda guy. I escaped that because my name can't be shortened, well, sort of but none of my friends/family call me Han. It's just Hannah. :)
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:40 pm

Let' hear it for people with the middle name Elizabeth! Count me in too! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:40 pm

DeppLovesBananahs wrote:Liz, we have another thing in common, Elizabeth is my middle name. :)

Usually I don't like it when people shorten names, or assume that you like your name to be shortened, like, William, and they assume that he likes to be called Billy. Maybe he's Will kinda guy. I escaped that because my name can't be shortened, well, sort of but none of my friends/family call me Han. It's just Hannah. :)

I think Hannah is a beautiful name, though. And Elizabeth goes well with it. It has a nice rhythm.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:33 pm

Liz wrote:

Oh, I hope you don't change your avatar. I have become quite fond of that picture of Johnny; to me is says something about deep thought!

Return to “A Long Way Down”