ALWD Question #16 ~ Jess

by Nick Hornby

Moderator: Liz

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:55 pm

Liz wrote:Great find, Fansmom!
Thanks! It just proves that Rochester wasn't the only author of naughty poetry!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:49 pm

I have to say that Jess was a hard one to comprehend. In the beginning, before the story about her sister and how she disappeared, I kind of thought she was a smart ass as it were. But not in the smart ass sense when she made witty comments but in the sense like she disreguarded others feelings when they told their reason for being up on the roof. But I realize now, that she was trying to cover up for her own insecurities and her own pain.

The actress I'd like to see play Jess is......don't hurt me.....Keira Knightly. I think this would be interesting for her, she's playing different roles now, other than dansel in distress, so I think Jess would be a terrific turn for her, showing her range and ability.

Hannah
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:17 pm

Hannah, I agree with you that Jess was lashing out to conceal her own pain or try and make others hurt like she as much as she did. I could handle Keira Knightly in the role. It would be good to see her do something like Jess!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:54 am

I liked Jess..I thought she and Maureen were the most interesting of the characters..I think Jess would make a huge impact in a movie..talk about larger than life..I liked her over-the-top tantrams...[maybe I'm used to them]..I thought she was funny and so very touching
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “A Long Way Down”