ALWD Question #11 - It Takes All Kinds

by Nick Hornby

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ALWD Question #11 - It Takes All Kinds

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:51 am

Back to our questions.......

What do you think about the idea of a Book Club that only reads books by author’s who’ve committed suicide?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shame_about_rasins

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:59 am

Well, they said they were reading Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Wolf, which I had to read for school, and I found it VERY boring!!
But I think it was there way with connecting with the rest of the world.
before he came down it never snowed.........

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:37 am

Perhaps it would give you insight into "their wiring" and what would lead them to commit suicide.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:54 am

since there seem to have been quite a few, might be quite a varied read.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:32 am

I would say why? It is weird to only read books from authors that are pigeon holed into someones catagories.
Maybe it would be the cool factor?
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:01 pm

Well, I'd rather join a book club that only read books related to Johnny Depp! But it could be intriguing, in a weird sort of way, to read books by author's who've committed suicide since so many were very gifted . After reading their works, maybe it would be possible to come up with some common thread we felt contributed to their decision.
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:07 pm

I don't know. My first thought was that it would be as depressing as Oprah's Book Club, but then I rememebered A Confederacy of Dunces. Now that was a funny book!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:56 pm

Interesting ideas so far. (I'm sorry, I'm having a heck of a time trying to concentrate on this discussion :lol: ) My first thought was that it was really weird in a morose sort of way. I never would have thought of doing that. I suppose, though, they were trying to gain insight about themselves through reading the works of others. I guess I have to say that in discussing books in both of my book clubs, one can gain insight into an author by reading his/her books--depending on the author.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

cait

Unread postby cait » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:00 pm

I think it's an interesting idea and it worked for the characters. It was the one thing that they all had in common. I don't know if I'd only want to read books by authors who committed suicide but it might be worth it for a while.

Thinking about the ONBC, could you say that we only discuss books that are related to Johnny? I know it's not the same as their book club but I thought of it when I first read the question.
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:57 pm

lumineuse wrote:I don't know. My first thought was that it would be as depressing as Oprah's Book Club, but then I rememebered A Confederacy of Dunces. Now that was a funny book!

You're right, A Confederacy of Dunces is a very funny book - and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is not exactly dead serious going either! So I agree there could be a wide variety of reading to be done under that theme.

At first I had that same thought about it being morose, but it was the thing the four had in common, as someone said, and it did work (or not) for them. So the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. And I had that thought right off, too, about ONBC being a book club where all the books are connected with Johnny - so why not suicidal authors?
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:24 pm

I guess if you were touched by suicide in some way ,it could give you some comfort,some insights...but maybe not :eyebrow: ..But I think it's a little limiting,confining in a way...That said,lately I've confined myself to books read or possibly read by Johnny...so who am I to talk :-O
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:26 pm

I have a hard enough time trying to explain to my friends and family the reasoning behind the ONBC and Johnny-related books. I can't even begin to imagine attempting to explain a "suicidal authors" book club.

I guess it would work for the four of them, but I believe I'd have to pass on that book club.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:12 pm

cait wrote:I think it's an interesting idea and it worked for the characters. It was the one thing that they all had in common. I don't know if I'd only want to read books by authors who committed suicide but it might be worth it for a while.

Thinking about the ONBC, could you say that we only discuss books that are related to Johnny? I know it's not the same as their book club but I thought of it when I first read the question.

I get some strange looks when I tell people that I moderate a book club devoted to Johnny Depp related books. They don't get it. And I can understand that. So I always have to explain so that they don't think I'm too off my rocker.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:32 pm

Liz wrote:
cait wrote:I think it's an interesting idea and it worked for the characters. It was the one thing that they all had in common. I don't know if I'd only want to read books by authors who committed suicide but it might be worth it for a while.

I get some strange looks when I tell people that I moderate a book club devoted to Johnny Depp related books. They don't get it. And I can understand that. So I always have to explain so that they don't think I'm too off my rocker.

I suppose that takes some explaining! But I think the book list is very good. He's well-read, as we know, and we've read some excellent books. I doubt if I would have read Shantaram without his involvement. What a sad thing that would have been to miss!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:32 pm

When I told my dad about this book, about why I read books that JD has read and recomended, he simply sighed and said, "wow...this is really deep...." And then when I told him how much JD affects his fans, (I was actually talking about the AFI pics and how they were....:drool: :omg:) and he said, again, "wow...he has that affect on you?"

In comparison, the sucidal author book club, could help them express themselves and try to reach eachother with their feelings....?? I'm a bit inarticulate today......I'll get back to this question..... :dunce: >>me
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

Return to “A Long Way Down”