ALWD Question #7 ~ The Others

by Nick Hornby

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:01 am

I can't remember what the church was like that Maureen went to, did she go out of duty or because she was a real believer? Was it Catholic or Anglican?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:18 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:I can't remember what the church was like that Maureen went to, did she go out of duty or because she was a real believer? Was it Catholic or Anglican?

GG, I believe she was a Catholic. I think it was a bit of both believing but a lot of a sense of duty. As someone above said, she seemed to feel the church was more of a burden than a help to her.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:38 pm

d_b wrote

Duty to Matty and church gave her a moral high ground no one dared challenge. The burden of Matty was so obvious, no one saw that Maureen’s pain was more about her own unrealized life. Maureen used self-righteousness and martyrdom to hide her loneliness the same way Marin used self-deprecation to hide his.

You and Fansmom are right about the contradiction of her position as a Christian and her action of attempting suicide. I hadn't thought of it. Do you think that hormby is saying something about people who take the high ground by being religious, even when they only adhere to selected highlights of that religion?
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:10 pm

Endora wrote:d_b wrote

Duty to Matty and church gave her a moral high ground no one dared challenge. The burden of Matty was so obvious, no one saw that Maureen’s pain was more about her own unrealized life. Maureen used self-righteousness and martyrdom to hide her loneliness the same way Marin used self-deprecation to hide his.

You and Fansmom are right about the contradiction of her position as a Christian and her action of attempting suicide. I hadn't thought of it. Do you think that hormby is saying something about people who take the high ground by being religious, even when they only adhere to selected highlights of that religion?

Or it could be a comment on a specific religion--certain traits that it has that are unique to it. There are other aspects of this that I want to comment on but want to wait until we get into Maureen's character.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:41 pm

I'm late to this..but I think Maureen is so bowed down by the responsability of looking after her Autistic son and the guilt,which she can't deal with,that she hankers after another life.What she needs,is support and timeout for herself,which she has denied herself, because of her feelings of guilt...She needs help to put Matty's life in perspective...that their lives together is not just all about him..She has to be well and satisfied too,otherwise life is a living hell...Which is what it is for her...What is great is that we see that those who live so called normal [I hate that word] and privileged lives are no better off than she....In fact,because she has had an Autistice child to cope with...she is a better person than all the rest..She just needs to see that and to understand that life can be beautiful[to quote Grace from AD] :cloud9:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “A Long Way Down”