Black Cat Question #7 - Edgar Allan Poe

by Edgar Allen Poe

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Black Cat Question #7 - Edgar Allan Poe

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:24 am

Thank you all for joining us for this mini discussion of The Black Cat. It's certainly been different. :freaked: We will wrap it up with this question:

Based on what you know about EAP and the stories/poems you’ve read by him, what is your opinion of Edgar Allen Poe?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:45 pm

I think Poe was a literary genius, born with a gift of expessing himself lyrically (probably a gift from his theatrical parents). With losing his parents at a very young age, he probably was a bit insecure as a child. Then his young wife became ill soon after they were married and died very young. So I think his life was on the melancholy side and that he occasionally 'self-medicated' to get through the worst days. I hope that it was cathartic for him to write of horror, paranoia and madness. He was certainly a master of it! He seemed to be very intelligent and resourceful and appealing to the ladies.

Thanks so much, Liz and DITHOT, for bringing Poe back to life. It's been a real Halloween treat and much appreciated! :thanks!:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:15 pm

I agree, Betty Sue. I think he was a literary genius and he certainly found his voice in a way few other authors have. It has been interesting for me to discover that perhaps he wasn't the drug influenced author I had always thought. I have always found his poetry lyrical and haunting. As I have said before though I am a big chicken when it comes to a lot of his other writing. :baby:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:36 pm

From the short stories I have read I think that Poe was a master of the macabre. He knew how to weave a horror tale, that is for sure. However, I think his writing indicates a very troubled soul.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:12 pm

He was brilliant at revealing our own guilt and fears,but I can't believe that this was entirely the author's creativity /imagination in over drive..I know Johnny says that he isn't the characters he plays..he has a degree of separation,but the emotion Poe creates in his stories is so overpowering,it can't be purely his imagination...It must have been centred in the core of his soul,this deep melancholia ..I'm sure it was very cathartic for him, Betty Sue and that,and the need for money,were probably the reasons why he wrote the way he did...My overwhelming feeling from his work is a profound loneliness....
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:25 pm

DITHOT wrote: I have always found his poetry lyrical and haunting.

Haunting is the right word, DITHOT.
When I was in high school and for years afterward, if anyone asked me my favorite writer, I always said Poe.
I've been trying to figure out this past week WHY?!

Was it because of his literary style?
His way of using the "right" words?
The rhythm of his poetry?
His imagination?

It can't have been the subject matter....too creepy for me.

BUT despite the fact that I don't like horror stories or movies, I love Poe!
Perhaps it's that word "haunting." It's a quality that a lot of "horror" stories and movies don't have -- they are all blood and gore, and aliens and creatures.

Poe's stories and poems linger long after I finish reading them...haunting me.
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:56 pm

Very interesting. This is the first time I remember ever studying Poe. However, I have a vague memory of putting him on a pedestal myself. I must have studied him in elementary school or something, making an impression on me. But for the life of me, I cannot remember any of his works.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:03 am

I find EAP to be a unique and wonderful storyteller. I agree, haunting is a very accurate way to describe his style/work. I'm glad his works have endured, which is a testament to him. Thanks for refreshing my memory of EAP and renewing my interest in him.

Also a big :thanks!: to Liz and DITHOT, once again, for the work you both put in to provide us with great tidbits and helping generate wonderful discussions for this Halloween (and always)!

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

Return to “Edgar Allen Poe Collection”