by Edgar Allen Poe

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Black Cat Question #6 - Ewww

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:02 pm

How did The Black Cat make you feel?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:46 pm

Initial impulse answer ~~

It made me feel ICKY!!

bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:03 pm

I've been thinking about this off and on all day and I guess, at the risk of sounding simplistic, I have to say it made me feel horrified. (I guess that means it is a good horror story, though.) But as I read the story there was just this sense of horror that grew with each new terrible deed the narrator recounts, and a sense of revulsion mixed with terrified fascination right up to the emotional release of the great typical Poe ending.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:43 pm

Bix, it doesn't sound simplistic to me. :eyebrow: Repulsed is a good word, too. Horrified, repulsed, icky. Each one describes how I felt. As I mentioned earlier in the discussion, I almost didn't choose the story because I thought it was too appalling. I kept wondering how someone could write such things without having experienced them himself. How could anyone think such thoughts? :-O And of course, being the animal lover that I am, his treatment of and feelings towards the cats was unspeakable. :freaked: It did make a good Halloween horror story, though. And I also question how I could be so compelled to continue reading it. :blush: :-?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:19 pm

At the risk of sounding terribly calloused, I think I steeled myself for the horrors of this story and didn't let them affect me too much. Knowing it was Poe and remembering the story a little, I was prepared to glide over the grisly parts--although, I do remember emitting an audible EWWW at the eye's removal! I have a dear little kitty so it's not that I'm not a cat lover! This story was quite stylized, and I get much more affected by stories that are more realistic (like poor Chico in Secret Window :tear:).
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:51 am

Betty Sue wrote:At the risk of sounding terribly calloused, I think I steeled myself for the horrors of this story and didn't let them affect me too much. Knowing it was Poe and remembering the story a little, I was prepared to glide over the grisly parts--although, I do remember emitting an audible EWWW at the eye's removal! I have a dear little kitty so it's not that I'm not a cat lover! This story was quite stylized, and I get much more affected by stories that are more realistic (like poor Chico in Secret Window :tear:).

I wasn't bothered as much by Chico as I was by Bump (It was a black cat named Bump in SWSG). I knew Chico was coming.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:00 pm

Must read SWSG!! And now I'll be prepared for poor Bump...
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:05 pm

I'm with bluebird and Liz..I felt icky,but more than that,postively sick..I detest cruelty to animals,cruelty per se..But,you have to admire an author that can evoke such strong emotion :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “Edgar Allen Poe Collection”