Poe Poem #7 - The Raven

by Edgar Allen Poe

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:37 pm

Raven, we appreciate your sacrifice! :disco:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:35 am

Everybody duck; here comes the English teacher! One of the things I like about this poem is the way it reveals the obsessive, masochistic mind of the narrator. The bird that flies into his room obviously has learned to say only one word, "Nevermore." But knowing this, the narrator compulsively asks the bird questions to which the answer "Nevermore" will be excruciating if he can pretend the bird is some sort of prophet. He gives the bird's one, random, mindless, meaningless answer meaning by asking it questions whose answers will torment him. He is reveling in his grief.

But if that sounds too serious, I invite you to enjoy "The Philosophy of Composition," Poe's essay on the composition of "The Raven." I think it's meant to be funny, but it's hard to tell exactly how tongue-in-cheek he meant for it to be.
Here's the link:

http://www.eapoe.org/works/essays/philcomp.htm

By the way, speaking of "The Tell-Tale Heart," I've managed to buy two film versions from Amazon--one of which is really good, and creepy, and the other of which is pretty bad, but brings out the humor in the story. Poe is very funny, I think, seen from the right angle!

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:20 am

The Raven was a good choice for today's poem, Liz. The Raven is what immediately comes to my mind whenever I hear Poe's work mentioned. I remember that when I studied this particular poem during my sophomore year of high school, we heard a reading of this by Vincent Price (actually, it may have been The Tell-Tale Heart-I'm having trouble remembering which one now...oh well, it was one of the two!) I felt his reading of it was very well-done. :cool:

I love the Simpsons version of The Raven. So funny! :lol: I don't watch The Simpsons very much, but I think all of the 'Treehouse of Terror' episodes are pretty good (at least I think that's what they're called!)

DITHOT, I'm pretty sure that the music for The Legend of Zorro is not the same music from POTC. But it is extremely close. Maybe Hans Zimmer or Klaus Badelt were involved with the music for The Legend of Zorro in some way... :-?

This is completely off-topic, but while we're mentioning movies, I saw The Weather Man today and absolutely loved it. Gore Verbinski did an excellent job directing this, and I think he should direct more films in this genre. And Hans Zimmer and Penny Rose were involved with the movie too-so it was almost like a mini-POTC reunion. :cool:
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:43 am

fansmom wrote:
DeppLovesBananahs wrote:Has anyone seen the Simpsons version of this poem? Its the same poem but Homer recites it.

Wait, doesn't Bart read it? It was Bart's voice in my head.
On second thought, it's read by James Earl Jones, and Bart plays the Raven. I just remember that spiky head perched above the door, croaking "Nevermore."

I haven't seen it since we watched it in eighth grade, so my memory's a bit lapsed. I thought it was Homer, like acting it out. Bart was in the beginning though, maybe he did read it. I'm not the best person to know, I just remember watching it in school.

Yeah, he did play the raven.....now that I think about it...hmm....I'll get back to you on that.

Hannah
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:48 am

Johnny Fanatic wrote:The Raven was a good choice for today's poem, Liz. The Raven is what immediately comes to my mind whenever I hear Poe's work mentioned. I remember that when I studied this particular poem during my sophomore year of high school, we heard a reading of this by Vincent Price (actually, it may have been The Tell-Tale Heart-I'm having trouble remembering which one now...oh well, it was one of the two!) I felt his reading of it was very well-done. :cool:

I love the Simpsons version of The Raven. So funny! :lol: I don't watch The Simpsons very much, but I think all of the 'Treehouse of Terror' episodes are pretty good (at least I think that's what they're called!)

DITHOT, I'm pretty sure that the music for The Legend of Zorro is not the same music from POTC. But it is extremely close. Maybe Hans Zimmer or Klaus Badelt were involved with the music for The Legend of Zorro in some way... :-?

This is completely off-topic, but while we're mentioning movies, I saw The Weather Man today and absolutely loved it. Gore Verbinski did an excellent job directing this, and I think he should direct more films in this genre. And Hans Zimmer and Penny Rose were involved with the movie too-so it was almost like a mini-POTC reunion. :cool:

The recording that we listened to, for the Tell-Tale Heart, was a product of the book we were reading, like we had one big book and Tell-Tale Heart was in there, as a short story. So, the recording was in fact produced by the book company...if that makes any sense. I do wish I could've listened to Vincent Price recite it, I'm sure it would've been more enjoyable than "who's there" or "chirp". Good times, good times.

Weatherman! I really want to see that! I've seen the previews for it, it looks hilarious, like in the trailer, when Nicholas Cage goes to get tartar sauce......'they ran out...' :lol:

Hannah

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:03 am

manar wrote:I memorized this poem perfectly. i'm so special. :chill:

Manar, I'm impressed. And welcome to ONBC! :wave:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:28 am

DITHOT, I remember hearing some of the music from POTC in the Master and Commander trailer. It really P-O'd me. :mad: So I wouldn't be surprised if it was used again. After all, it is beautiful music. I can't wait to hear the music from POTC2.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:36 am

Speaking of music, I'm in orchestra at school, I play the viola, but anyway, get to the point Hannah. The point is, my friend, Chelsey can play the theme of POTC on the piano. I really want her to teach me, it would sound pretty sweet on the viola, because of the rich, low sound. It would probably sound equally cool on the cello as well.

I agree Liz, I was a bit peeved when I first heard the music to Master and Commander and it was similar to POTC. I was like, ew. Russell Crowe be stealing Johnny's music. That ain't cricket. It was a good movie though. My dad wanted to see it, he likes those crazy ship movies. I do like that red haired guy, I forget his name, he was in A Beautiful Mind. I can't recall his name.... :banghead: It'll come to me.....

Hannah

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:48 am

DeppLovesBananahs wrote:Speaking of music, I'm in orchestra at school, I play the viola, but anyway, get to the point Hannah. The point is, my friend, Chelsey can play the theme of POTC on the piano. I really want her to teach me, it would sound pretty sweet on the viola, because of the rich, low sound. It would probably sound equally cool on the cello as well.

I agree Liz, I was a bit peeved when I first heard the music to Master and Commander and it was similar to POTC. I was like, ew. Russell Crowe be stealing Johnny's music. That ain't cricket. It was a good movie though. My dad wanted to see it, he likes those crazy ship movies. I do like that red haired guy, I forget his name, he was in A Beautiful Mind. I can't recall his name.... :banghead: It'll come to me.....

Hannah

Hannah, I love the viola, a beautiful instrument! The music I have heard from Zorro is just different enough that you know it isn't POTC but it certainly is close!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:54 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
DeppLovesBananahs wrote:Speaking of music, I'm in orchestra at school, I play the viola, but anyway, get to the point Hannah. The point is, my friend, Chelsey can play the theme of POTC on the piano. I really want her to teach me, it would sound pretty sweet on the viola, because of the rich, low sound. It would probably sound equally cool on the cello as well.

Hannah

Hannah, I love the viola, a beautiful instrument! The music I have heard from Zorro is just different enough that you know it isn't POTC but it certainly is close!

Yes it is, I thought it was different. When I was little, about 8 or 9 I think when I started playing it, I was really bad at it. But as I got older I started to appreciate it more for what it is, a wonderfully sounding instrument. I enjoy playing it. I went to Europe last year with my highschool orchestra. Had a blast. It just shows you that when you start something, you shouldn't quit, you never know what opportunties come a long.

As for Zorro, my grandma has a HUGE, and I mean HUGE crush on Antonio Banderas. So, I'll have to see it sooner or later. :cool:

Hannah

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:23 pm

While we're on the subject of trailer music, the trailer for Casanova has music from Finding Neverland in it. :cool:
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:54 pm

I guess there's only so much music to go around, eh? :-?

johnnybloom

Unread postby johnnybloom » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:29 pm

HI!
I have been away from The Zone and my computer for 24 hours! Boy was that hard!
I love The Raven. It is by far my favorite Poe poem. I read it every week, not just during Halloween. This may sound funny, but I read it out loud, to an empty room. My two cats usually hear me reading this familiar poem and climb up on the bed to listen. They think I read just for them(How is that for the perfect image of a "cat lady"?)
Every time I read it and I have probablly read it more than 200 times, I get something new from it. I can almost smell the perfume of Lenore, hear the rustling curtains and feel the velvet chair he is sitting on.
The torment this poor soul is going through, for his lost Lenore, breaks my heart. Yet each time I read it I am full of joy.....just the way Poe so perfectly sets the mood and tone......brings me that joy.
I own 3 copies of this poem.....in three different kinds of books.
When the poem closes and that darn Raven is still perched upon the bust of Pallus....I shiver....sometimes I turn back to the first page and read it again....
It's okay, my cats don't mind....
~3~
"Three is a sort of special number for me. It's a very creative number.
Triangle, trinity-you know, how two people make another person.
Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:09 pm

Raven wrote:just got back from seeing zorro, too cute! gotta love Ted and Terry!

here is the Raven

http://archive.salon.com/audio/poetry/2 ... /poe/index

Okay, this is way off topic...Raven - the music for Zorro? Was it not POTC in a slightly different form??? I keep hearing it in the trailers and it makes me crazy! :banghead:[/quote

DIDHOT, I thought so too. I thought at first that maybe it was just the same composer or something. But I go running to the TV when I hear the music!
Just popped in tonight after a long spell away - trying to catch up here - and lo and behold I find The Raven! Lovely.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:18 pm

suec wrote:
Raven wrote:just got back from seeing zorro, too cute! gotta love Ted and Terry!

here is the Raven

http://archive.salon.com/audio/poetry/2 ... /poe/index

Okay, this is way off topic...Raven - the music for Zorro? Was it not POTC in a slightly different form??? I keep hearing it in the trailers and it makes me crazy! :banghead:[/quote

DIDHOT, I thought so too. I thought at first that maybe it was just the same composer or something. But I go running to the TV when I hear the music!
Just popped in tonight after a long spell away - trying to catch up here - and lo and behold I find The Raven! Lovely.

Welcome back, suec! Hope you had a fun time away!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Edgar Allen Poe Collection”