The Black Cat Question #4 - Comparisons

by Edgar Allen Poe

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Black Cat Question #4 - Comparisons

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:09 am

Compare The Black Cat to Secret Window, Secret Garden and/or The Tell Tale Heart.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:36 am

Please correct where wrong as I've only seen Secret Window (always meant to check at the library for the story :banghead: ). The three stories seem alike in that they are horrifying psychological mysteries narrated by the mad men themselves. All committed horrific crimes, acted quite calm and normal afterwards, and thought they'd gotten away with murder. All were driven by imaginary devils--the black cat, the evil eye, Shooter.
Secret Window differed from Poe's tales in that it had a modern day setting and kept us thinking we were dealing with a rational man until near the ending. It also had a lot of humor, though I don't know if that was just the movie version... :dunce: And the coolest way it differed is that it was made into a mesmerising Johnny Depp movie!! :bounce:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:09 pm

Good points all arounds, Betty Sue! I don't remember much humor in the original story. I think what was something Johnny brought to the character, and we are glad he did! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:15 pm

I think you covered quite a bit there, Betty Sue. I won't add anymore just yet. I remember there being humor in SWSG, thinking that Johnny would be perfect for the role because he could pull it off. Mort's sense of humor in the book was the same dry sense of humor that Johnny had in the movie.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:34 pm

Thought it was amazing how many hilarious moments there were in this spooky film! :cool:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:06 pm

I haven't seen or read Secret Window, so I can't join in on that. I'm thinking I will see it sometime, but at the time it came out I was very newly obsessed with JD. A good friend saw it and said she found it very disturbing and that I shouldn't see it at that time. So I didn't.

As for the two short stories, I have always thought they were quite similar, especially in the endings. But I think Tell-Tale Heart is even more bizarre and creepy than the Black Cat. I mean, this guy is nuts from word one - the way he loathes the eye while pretending to the old man that everything is fine, the painstakingly slow creeping into the old man's room every night, the description of the old man's terror when he wakes. That part really gets to me, as I live alone with no pets to blame night noises on and am prone to the occasional bout of terror when a noise wakes me.

Anyway, in Black Cat the guy at least has his alcoholism to blame his steady downfall into madness on. In Tell-Tale Heart, the guy is just full-throttle ahead into his plan to rid himself of the evil eye and then just goes even crazier when he thinks he may not get away with it after all.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Bix, I think both protagonists were disturbed. What struck me was that The Black Cat was so similar to The Tell Tale Heart--to me--almost the same story with a couple of twists--one of them being that the murder of his wife was not pre-meditated. The endings were very similar--caught by the police while acting cocky. The difference is that in The Black Cat he didn't intend to be caught. In Tell Tale Heart, I think he was begging to be found out--subconsciously.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:36 pm

The main character in SW and TBC both killed their wives,I think..both with blunt instruments and bury them secretly..Unless I'm confusing TBC with another story :dunce:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:59 pm

gilly wrote:The main character in SW and TBC both killed their wives,I think..both with blunt instruments and bury them secretly..Unless I'm confusing TBC with another story :dunce:

You are so correct, Gilly. Mort's was a touch more pre-meditated, though.

Return to “Edgar Allen Poe Collection”