The Black Cat Question #1 - Poe's Attraction

by Edgar Allen Poe

Moderator: Liz

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:08 am

Liz wrote:I agree with Johnny Fanatic, Luvdepp and DITHOT that it is much easier to read horror than watch it. A book is not as threatening and usually not as graphic as a movie. I'm a visual person. Thus a movie can really freak me out. I, too, prefer, the more psychological thrillers, like Hitchcock movies--except for Psycho. :freaked:

I'm not a fan of gore in any way. Hate the sight of blood. But psychological thrillers aren't much easier for me to take. Especially anything involving supernatural. I've never even seen Sixth Sense. And Hitchcock freaks me out too. I'm with you Liz about Psycho. Guess I'm just a big chicken. I don't seem to have a problem with Secret Window, From Hell and Sleepy Hollow though. Guess Johnny distracted me from being too scared. :blush:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:32 am

Johnny seems to be attracted to male authors who have lived on the edge,who have/had their fair share of demons..e.g. Nick Tosches,HST..,some of whom dealt with them and others,like Poe ,who were overwhelmed by them..I think Johnny sees the dichotomy in life,the dark/light,good/bad variety in life ..and the fact that we can never truly understand ourselves and others,unless we have experienced what life has to offer ....whatever that may be...it's all about the journey :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:33 am

Well said, Gilly.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:53 am

luvdepp wrote:
Liz wrote: I'm not a fan of gore in any way. Hate the sight of blood. But psychological thrillers aren't much easier for me to take. Especially anything involving supernatural. I've never even seen Sixth Sense. And Hitchcock freaks me out too. I'm with you Liz about Psycho. Guess I'm just a big chicken. I don't seem to have a problem with Secret Window, From Hell and Sleepy Hollow though. Guess Johnny distracted me from being too scared. :blush:

There's something about how Johnny plays a role--even if he is the bad guy. He brings out just enough good in that character to elicit sympathy. In the case of most of the movies you've mentioned, though, he has not been the bad guy. And I have to agree that they weren't all that scary. I think it is because the focus is on Johnny and not on the gore.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:50 pm

luvdepp wrote:
Liz wrote:I agree with Johnny Fanatic, Luvdepp and DITHOT that it is much easier to read horror than watch it. A book is not as threatening and usually not as graphic as a movie. I'm a visual person. Thus a movie can really freak me out. I, too, prefer, the more psychological thrillers, like Hitchcock movies--except for Psycho. :freaked:

I'm not a fan of gore in any way. Hate the sight of blood. But psychological thrillers aren't much easier for me to take. Especially anything involving supernatural. I've never even seen Sixth Sense. And Hitchcock freaks me out too. I'm with you Liz about Psycho. Guess I'm just a big chicken. I don't seem to have a problem with Secret Window, From Hell and Sleepy Hollow though. Guess Johnny distracted me from being too scared. :blush:

I really love scary books/movies. Todays horror is more slash and gore, which is not good (IMO). I love the psychological thrillers and the spooky stuff. Psycho is one of my all time favs! Actually, my mother told me she saw it when she was pregnant with me, which I guess could explain alot, lol. I've been reading Stephen King since waaaay back. I remember reading the Shining and not being able to put it down, but couldn't read it in a room by myself! Books are scarier, I agree, except the Exorcist scared the bejeezus out of me!! Poe is a great read, very blunt and to the point. His writing doesn't leave much sympathy for the main character/protagonist.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:50 pm

KYW..you're right ,we don't feel sympathy for the main protagonists..maybe Poe was working out his own opinion of himself,in these stories..I admit I'm a real wimp. :baby: .I find it hard to read his work...It really makes me feel sick..But look what ONBC is doing..forcing me out of my comfort zone :capnjack:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:29 am

I'm a little out of my element, too, Gilly. And I have to wonder if there is any autobiographical element to the protagonist--not that he committed any similar atrocities, but that he has had these feelings that he portrays on paper.

Return to “Edgar Allen Poe Collection”