Upcoming Poe Events

by Edgar Allen Poe

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Upcoming Poe Events

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:15 pm

As you know, next week, we will be discussing The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe. In looking for tidbits I noticed some upcoming events that begin this weekend that you might be interested in if you live in or near the following areas:

National Park Service
U.S. Department of the Interior
Independence National Historical Park

143 South Third Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

215-597-0060 phone
215-597-0042 fax

“BY HORROR HAUNTED”
OCTOBER AT THE EDGAR ALLAN POE HOUSE

The Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site commemorates Poe’s mysterious death on October 7, 1849 with a series of special programs leading up to Halloween. National Park Service rangers invite you to explore this famous author’s themes of madness, revenge, premature burial and death. Join us at Poe’s Philadelphia home and discover why his tales of terror continue to enthrall us today, over 150 years after his untimely death.

“The Black Cat” (Saturdays and Sundays, 1:00 and 3:00pm)
Poe wrote “The Black Cat”, one of his famous tales of horror, while living in the home now designated a National Historic Site. See this BBC-produced short film and then visit the basement eerily reminiscent of the one described in the story. Free.

Friends of Poe (Thursday, Oct. 27, 6:30 -8:30 p.m.)
Please join the Friends of Independence National Historical Park, as we celebrate the founding of the “Friends of Poe,” a group dedicated to supporting and promoting the Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site. Park ranger programs for the evening include: a dramatic portrayal of Edgar Poe and 2 of his most haunting works, a musical performance of “The Raven,” and special candlelight tours of Poe’s home. Light refreshments will be served.

Admission is $10 per person to benefit the “Friends of Poe”
Event begins at the German Society at 7th & Spring Garden Streets

For tickets call (215) 928-1188, or send a check to:
Friends of Independence
143 South 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Attention: Friends of Poe

For information about the Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site, please check our website: http://www.nps.gov/edal or call (215) 597-8780,
or Friends of Independence: www.friendsofindependence.org

Poe Film Festival

At the Byrd Theatre, Richmond, VA
October 28 and 29, 2005

$5 per film or $8 for both films
(Free tickets for Poe Museum Members available in advance)

The Poe Museum will be sponsoring the screening of two Poe-inspired films at the historic Byrd Theatre in Richmond. The festival begins with the midnight showing of Tales of Terror on Friday, October 28 and finishes with the 2p.m. screening of The Black Cat on Saturday, October 29. Tickets are five dollars per show or eight dollars for both. Poe Museum members can pick up free tickets at the Museum.
Tales of Terror (1962) is one of the series of seven Poe adaptations resulting from the collaboration of actor Vincent Price and director Roger Corman. The film consists of three short segments based on Poe’s stories “Morella,” “The Black Cat,” “The Cask of Amontillado,” and “The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar.” Also starring in the film are Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone.

The Black Cat (1934) has been described as “a grand lunatic fairy tale” (Gregory William Mank, Karloff and Lugosi) and “a work of great artistry and sinister beauty” (Michael Brunas, Universal Horrors). This movie was the first pairing of the two legendary horror stars Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi. Although the film is said to have been inspired by Poe’s tale of the same name, the plot has little in common with the supposed inspiration.

1914-16 E. Main St.
Richmond, VA 23223
http://www.poemuseum.org/index.html

Poe House – Where he lived upon his death

Halloween at the Poe House is usually held the weekend before and the weekend after Halloween. Local actors provide theatrical presentations for the Halloween season.

203 North Amity Street Baltimore, Maryland 21223 Phone Number: 410-396-7932

Poe Grave

Halloween tour of the cemetery and catacombs (Halloween night)

Westminster Hall and Poe's grave are in the southeast corner of Fayette and Greene Streets.
(410) 706-2072
Last edited by Liz on Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:50 pm

thanks Liz, I am going to have to check all those out.

I did find this by accident yesterday, I haven't had time to listen but check it out too if you like.

it is an audio of The Raven

http://archive.salon.com/audio/poetry/2 ... /poe/index
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:46 pm

Thanks Raven, for The Raven.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:28 pm

Another Poe event

Poe Evermore
"Return to the mysterious whisperings of gothic horror master Edgar Allan Poe. For ye who are still among the living, the always memorable, always sold out, and now, special effects filled Mount Hope classic is better than ever."
They've been doing this for 20 years or so. It's a theatre performance in a beautiful Victorian mansion that moves from room to room with the action. It includes several of Poe's stories. I'm finally going to get to see one of the performances this year. The mansion is located at Mount Hope Winery, Manheim, PA Nov. 4-13. Also home of the Pennsylvania Renaisance Faire.
For info visit www.parenfaire.com
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:39 pm

Bluebird, I'm so glad you get to go. I expect you to report back now. But I'll let you slide with a one page essay. :grin:

deedee

Unread postby deedee » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:07 am

Thanks Liz for posting the Poe Events. As a member of the Poe Society here in Richmond, I can tell you all how popular dear Edgar is to all that visit the House here in Richmond. The Film Festival is a huge success so far. The local schools here ask for our members to read his poems and short stories to their classes all year long, but especially during Holloween. We have some men who can read the Raven using Vincent Price's voice dead on, and I can tell you, it sends a shiver down your spine. Can't wait for the discussions to begin on the Black Cat.
"Those who do not like you fall into two catagories..the stupid and the envious."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:20 am

deedee wrote:We have some men who can read the Raven using Vincent Price's voice dead on, and I can tell you, it sends a shiver down your spine. Can't wait for the discussions to begin on the Black Cat.

It would send a shiver up my spine. It's nice to get the scoop from someone who's been there. :cool:

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:07 pm

well I finally stopped long enough to listen to the Raven (posted above) I had totally forgotten how much I loved Poe. We read him in HS and I loved it then.

WOW wish there was some events around here to go to.

I am off to read the Black Cat!

thanks once again Liz and DITHOG, for reminding me about a love I had forgotten
:bounce:
Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid

and the envious."

John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:19 pm

Liz wrote: Bluebird, I'm so glad you get to go (to Poe Evermore). I expect you to report back now. But I'll let you slide with a one page essay.

Ok, Liz. I have my assignment. A one page essay about Poe, I think, will probably be a breeze.
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “Edgar Allen Poe Collection”