Sleepy Hollow Question #6: The Ending

by Washington Irving

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Sleepy Hollow Question #6: The Ending

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:57 am

Do you think Irving wants us to believe the Headless Horseman was real or a practical joke? What is your interpretation?

How did you feel about Tim's interpretation of the Headless Horseman?

(Ladies, must post and run this morning...carry on!)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:04 am

I felt like Irving didn't want to completely quash the possibility that a headless horseman was running wild in that area so left a tiny opening to still believe that. But the shattered pumpkin (and Brom's laughing about it) certainly indicated to me that the fun-loving, Katrina-loving Brom had been up to some tricks! Then there were the possible sightings of Ichabod in New York. HOWEVER, the country wives, "who are the best judges of these matters, maintain to this day that Ichabod was spirited away by supernatural means." So who's to say? And I think that's a perfect ending to this whimsical fairy tale.
Wow! The Tim Burton/Christopher Walken Headless Horseman was a real treat for horror fans! Poor Johnny! (At least he wasn't subject to the bloody 'kiss.') The Headless Horseman was magnificent, and I'm pleased that he got his head back and is now a contented inhabitant of the tree of the dead. :-|
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:21 pm

I think Irving wanted to leave it open to drive us crazy. :mort1: I think it was a perfect ending too. Even though endings like that drive me nuts (i.e. SWSG), I think they are perfect for horror/ghost stories. That's part of the horror. :clown:

I liked Tim's version of the headless horseman. What I find interesting is that Tim's version of the story fit my expectations for this story. I was quite surprised to find out that Irving's story was so different. :-O
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:12 pm

I think he wanted to keep us guessing in a wink, wink, nod, nod sort of way. I also think horror was less graphic then, at least from what I have read and I am an admitted :baby: when it comes to things of that nature!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:28 pm

The first time that I read the story, I wasn't completely satisfied that the ending left a few questions unanswered. Then, after reading it for a second time, I appreciated the mystery of the ending because that's part of what makes it so spooky.

I think Tim's interpretation of the Headless Horseman was well done. In my opinion, Christopher Walken was a perfect choice to play that role. :cool:
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:05 am

Johnny Fanatic wrote:The first time that I read the story, I wasn't completely satisfied that the ending left a few questions unanswered. Then, after reading it for a second time, I appreciated the mystery of the ending because that's part of what makes it so spooky.

I think Tim's interpretation of the Headless Horseman was well done. In my opinion, Christopher Walken was a perfect choice to play that role. :cool:

Christopher Walken was perfect! He gives me the creeps anyway!

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:48 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Christopher Walken was perfect! He gives me the creeps anyway!

He creeps me out while talking about a cowbell! (Please tell me you know what I'm talking about! :blush:)

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:35 pm

fansmom wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Christopher Walken was perfect! He gives me the creeps anyway!

He creeps me out while talking about a cowbell! (Please tell me you know what I'm talking about! :blush:)

Refresh my memory... :-?

Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:08 pm

Sorry to be so late, but I was gone all weekend and I did want to get back to this to say that Tim's ending was one of the major surprises and differences to me. I have always read the Irving story as a tongue-in-cheek nod toward the superstitions of the area, but after I read the evidence of the broken pumpkin and the hat and the horse going home and the squashed saddle, I never thought the Horseman was anyone other than Brom. And then I saw the movie and realized fairly soon that Tim was taking a completely opposite tack and making the witchcraft and magic real - as Johnny's Ichabod finds out in his close encounter. I quite liked Tim's take on it (and yes, in part, because Walken is so perfect for that kind of thing), but I still like the story better.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Johnny Fan

Unread postby Johnny Fan » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:52 pm

fansmom wrote:

fansmom, I think you're talking about a particular Saturday Night Live skit that Christopher Walken was in, right? I loved that skit! I thought it was so funny. :biglaugh:
"Breath. We tend not to think much about it. Each one is a blessing--every inhale, every exhale." -Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:35 pm

Johnny Fanatic wrote:
fansmom wrote:

fansmom, I think you're talking about a particular Saturday Night Live skit that Christopher Walken was in, right? I loved that skit! I thought it was so funny. :biglaugh:

I remember his skit on Saturday Night Live, "The Continental" which was hysterical, but I don't remembe a cowbell. :banghead:

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:01 pm

Johnny Fanatic wrote:
fansmom wrote:

Yes, thank you, Johnny Fanatic!
I googled Walken cowbell and got many hits. Try this one:
http://www.ojai.net/swanson/snlshows.htm Scroll down almost to the bottom to get a link to the video.
It was Christopher Walken playing a music producer during a (fake) taping of Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper." He keeps demanding "more cowbell" until that's almost all that can be heard. Really really funny.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:50 am

fansmom wrote:
Johnny Fanatic wrote:
fansmom wrote:

Yes, thank you, Johnny Fanatic!
I googled Walken cowbell and got many hits. Try this one:
http://www.ojai.net/swanson/snlshows.htm Scroll down almost to the bottom to get a link to the video.
It was Christopher Walken playing a music producer during a (fake) taping of Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper." He keeps demanding "more cowbell" until that's almost all that can be heard. Really really funny.

YES! Now I remember! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”