It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: F&LILV Question #27 ~ A different view?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:32 am 

Did you like the book? Has your opinion changed from the first time you read the book or saw the movie?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:24 am 

I do like this book, probably even more than I did when I first read it in the 70's. Besides giving some of us a great trip down Memory Lane, the tidbits and the discussion here have added so much to my appreciation of the book and of Hunter S Thompson. I can see I will have to read much, much more - especially the letters. Thank you to all of you for sharing your wonderful ideas and insights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:41 pm 

I love this book & plan to read it many times through out my life!!! I dont think my opinion of this book has changed I have a better understanding of it and appreciate Hunters work even more.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:39 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I love the book. I get a kick out of the movie. I think I can take the book better because it is not in my face--the reality is not as harsh. What has changed for me is being able to understand its deeper meaning. I've had quite a few Twilight Zone moments while delving into it. When I bought the ticket this time, I took the ride as far as it could go.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:03 pm 

The Book vs the movie. In the book you can read the words. When I watch the movie because of how Hunter talks & Johnnys wonderful imitation of him, I have a hard time hearing the words.

I got the cd of Fear & Loathing yesterday. It is hard to get past there weird voices but it is fun to listen to.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:42 pm 

When I started to read the book, I was determined to impose some kind of order on it---the movie had been very chaotic and I had a hard time following it.

After reading the book, and following the discussions here, I like the book much more. It was funny and weird and thoughtful. I got a much more mature appreciation of HST's work. I also got the "order" I was looking for. I realized I was looking at things the "wrong" way, as it were; and when I looked at things in a different way, it all came together.

There's nothing like a book club and discussions to make a book come alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:23 pm 

I read the book eons ago and didn't remember a lot of it. Then when I saw the movie, I thought... :eyebrow: After reading The Rum Diary and learning much more about Hunter, I have a completely different perspective on it now. And much of that is because of everything you all have brought to this discussion! :applause:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:00 pm 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
I really enjoyed this book (and movie). This discussion enhanced my understanding and it was great fun to read such various points of view. Not sure my opinion changed, but the breadth of my knowledge about it sure did!! Which is always a good thing.

Thanks DITHOT and Liz (and all Noodlemantra-gonzos) for a well put together Q & A! If it wouldn't take reams of paper I'd like to have a bound collection of all our discussions we've had so far. I know, that's an old fashion method, I guess I could save it to the computer, then cd some how, but I like having something in my hand when I read. The computer is fine for short-term, but I like a hard copy. Ah well.

Crazy man, like wow, far out. I really dug this scene and grooved to the vibe. It was so heavy, man, like really out there, ya dig? Peace and Love!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:10 pm 

I have thoroughly enjoyed this book and discussion. I love Hunter's writing - anything that makes me laugh out loud is wonderful. While I find myself disagreeing with Hunter on many levels, I still loved the book and (I guess!) the movie. Still have not watched the whole movie in one sitting, though! :lol:

Thanks ONBC for a great time. I hope I didn't pi** off too many people with my rants!

Carrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:27 pm 

We will all never agree on all levels. How boring that would be! :zzz:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:28 pm 

I have always loved the book, so these discussions have been great. I have really enjoyed finding out what everyone else thinks and your ideas have made me think harder and consider what the book is really about. Thanks everyone for the enlightenment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:56 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I'm glad you've enjoyed the discussion. It has been another eye opener for me thanks to all of you. :-O BUT we're not done yet. We still have 2 more questions. :bounce: I'm glad because I don't really want this discussion to end.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:00 pm 

Oh yes! We aren't done yet! :bounce:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:05 pm 

double post :blush:

Last edited by shame_about_rasins on Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:06 pm 

Liz wrote:
I'm glad you've enjoyed the discussion. It has been another eye opener for me thanks to all of you. :-O BUT we're not done yet. We still have 2 more questions. :bounce: I'm glad because I don't really want this discussion to end.

YAY we arn't done!!
I have only read the book once, I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was one of the funniest books I have read. This disscussion has not CHANGED my view of it but helped me understand and think about the deeper messages in the book.
I will be sad when this is over :(

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next