Question #23 ~ The End of an Era?

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:14 pm

Liz wrote:Dharma, you've got my head spinning all over again. :-) :hypnotic:

Did anyone watch The Sixties: The Years that Shaped a Generation last night? Many of the points that have been made here were made there. The only quotes I wrote down were the following: Tom Hayden referred to the young people of the time as "A generation of might have beens". And Eric Burton said he was told LSD would "change the world".

I saw this too! I watched it because of the discussion. I was so ignorant to the time period, only knowing about Vietnam, and that it was bad. That's it. But now, I know so much more because of the documentary. I have new found knowledge. I also found it interesting how they talked about the anti-war and anti-authority, you could say, protesting of Columbia University and how they occupied the buildings and such, only because I was only familar with the Berkley protesting of the war. It was a great documentary. I learned so much.

Hannah
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:00 pm

:applause: Way to go, Hannah! I have learned SO much since I joined ONBC, I'm glad to hear others have to! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Merouda

Unread postby Merouda » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:04 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:The story really pointed that out, didn't it lumi? About how the murders of King and Kennedy really deflated everyone and left us feeling so helpless. Watching Dr. King make that speech brought tears to my eyes knowing he would soon be dead and you could almost tell he knew it too.

And, yes, some of the political rhetoric sounded very familiar... :banghead:

Exactly. My brother lives in France and watches American politics from afar. He couldn't understand why the people aren't marching in the streets over Iraq and Bush etc. I tried to explain Kent State and King and Kennedy. People believe something they didn't believe back then. That our government has no qualms about killing us.

Now, my aunt, in her 80's and still a very active activist believes in bloody revolution. Those are her Leninist colors showing. But most Americans don't have any beliefs that they are willing to die for these days that aren't personally related to them. Die for family yes, enlightenment and equality, no. Willing to kill for maybe but not die for.

I'm reminded of a line in "Almost Famous'... "Look at them, a whole generation of Cinderella's and there's noooo slipper." That about sums up what I'm seeing today in our youth. Perhaps not the drugs but they've tuned out through shopping and consuming instead of acid trips. Which, as others have said, were unpredictable. I walked this entire city back then, on acid, and remember remarking on the pretty moss growing on bricks and understood Jimi Hendriks' 'purple haze' but I sure didn't get much else done.

I'm on Hunter's side. Action is the only way. We can't sit around and hope for bliss and expect the problems to be solved. For all the centuries of humankind, it's always been work first, then play. That's gets things done. No mind you, as an artist, while I enjoy my art and have fun, it's still work, so even the creative types are working before playing...

Anyway, that's a bit of a ramble, hard to comment on all the amazing posts but thought I'd through that out there.

Merouda
Merouda
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I hate the obvious stuff, I just don't respond to it." ~ JD

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:36 pm

Hello, Merouda. I'm glad you joined us. :cool: Not a ramble at all. After watcing the Sixties documentary on PBS last night I was reminded what taking action can do.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:42 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Hello, Merouda. I'm glad you joined us. :cool: Not a ramble at all. After watcing the Sixties documentary on PBS last night I was reminded what taking action can do.

Absolutely, I was reminded how strong will power, and perserverence can be by that documentary. All those protestors were filled with rage, but they got something done, didn't they? Their voices were heard. That's something you gotta agree is great.

The documentary got me thinking about a lot of things. As far as whats going on today, and what Hunter S. Thompson was trying to convey in his stories and in his articles. Its such a shame he had to die, he had so much work ahead of him, so much to live for. But I guess that could make someone hit rock bottom.

Hannah
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”