F&LILV Question #22 - The Wave

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

JD101

Unread postby JD101 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:26 pm

bluebird wrote:That night on her pillow I left HER a note.
"You can't always get what you want!" Rolling Stones.....

Ahh, it's the little things that bring pleasure!

bluebird

bluebird... that's so funny!

I sing that little RS ditty to my kiddies all the time, including the next line...

"But if you try sometimes
you just might find
you get what you need"

... they heard it on the radio the other day and went bonkers in the car! I don't think they realized it came from a real song. They thought it was just their crazy mommy torturing them in melody. Mwwhahahahahah
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:37 pm

JD101, it is amazing how smart we get as our kids get older!! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:38 pm

JD101 wrote:
I sing that little RS ditty to my kiddies all the time, including the next line...

"But if you try sometimes
you just might find
you get what you need"

... they heard it on the radio the other day and went bonkers in the car! I don't think they realized it came from a real song. They thought it was just their crazy mommy torturing them in melody. Mwwhahahahahah

JD101 ~ LOL I love it when the kids discover that we really do know what we're talking about!! Or singing about!

DITHOT wrote:
bluebird, I love it! I hope she got it a kick out of your answer!

DITHOT ~ Yeah, I think she even sang the rest of the line to me -- "But if you try sometimes
you just might find
you get what you need"

I think we compromised...
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:44 pm

I have a 45 rpm record (you all do know what a 45 rpm record is, don't you??) of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" on the wall in my office (right next to my huge JD poster and alongside the full length newspaper ad for Corpse Bride). When co-workers come in with impossible requests, I always point them to the record...
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

CarrieKY

Unread postby CarrieKY » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:13 pm

bluebird wrote:I have a 45 rpm record (you all do know what a 45 rpm record is, don't you??) of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" on the wall in my office (right next to my huge JD poster and alongside the full length newspaper ad for Corpse Bride). When co-workers come in with impossible requests, I always point them to the record...
bluebird

I love it! I do wish they'd let me decorate the nurses station in a JD theme...just think how wonderful it would be to wake up from anesthesia and be looking at Johnny.....ahhh.

karla

Unread postby karla » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:37 pm

This is an awesome thread tonite....wonderful insights all around.

I can only speak from my own experience. I was a hippee (still am at heart). Everything we did felt right, it felt like anything in the world was possible, the peace movement, the taking on of governments (a big big thing in HST's life), anything.

Sex was safe, drugs were safe (relatively -of course), love was safe. It all felt good.

There has not been a time since then where the same sense of freedom has prevailed. We have more rules, more issues, more problems, more complications.

I think the younger people today are crying for that freedom. My son loves HST, Kerouac and Depp for what they represent. Live life to the fullest, enjoy, experiment, don't compromise.

When I read this passage in the book or hear Johnny in the movie all the feelings I had back then come back.....it's like we almost changed the world but then the wave receded.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:55 am

I was watching Nip/Tuck on TV last night. Part of the episode revolved around an 18-year-old struggling to find his place in the world. His grandmother’s advice was VERY Hunter- and Wave-like:

“There are no mistakes in youth, only experimentation. The choice is yours. You can live a safe life… or an authentic one.”

There you have it... not exactly Bob Dylan, but I liked it.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:43 am

An addendum to our thoughts about Bob Dylan and The Wave speech: Last night I re-read a few pieces from F and L, and the book came open at the start. Have you looked at the dedication recently?

To Bob Geiger,for reasons that need not be explained here-and to Bob Dylan for Mr Tambourine Man

One of life's rare moments of synchronicity.

Link to lyrics of the song:

http://bobdylan.com/songs/tambourine.html

But I'll post the verse I like the best in relation to F and L:

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:35 am

Endora wrote:With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,

Wow! I love addendums. :thanks!: Endora.

Odd but interesting imagery: "circus sands"
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

QueenofKings

Unread postby QueenofKings » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:44 am

Endora wrote:An addendum to our thoughts about Bob Dylan and The Wave speech: Last night I re-read a few pieces from F and L, and the book came open at the start. Have you looked at the dedication recently?

To Bob Geiger,for reasons that need not be explained here-and to Bob Dylan for Mr Tambourine Man

One of life's rare moments of synchronicity.

Link to lyrics of the song:

http://bobdylan.com/songs/tambourine.html

But I'll post the verse I like the best in relation to F and L:

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,

My signature on the Black Crowes board changes pretty much every week and that is my signature this week.
We have been listening to Mr. Zimmerman all this week, so I guess that is stuck in my mind.

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:53 am

I agree with those who've drawn the conclusion that the Wave is like the transition into the 70's from the 60's. I think this could identify with what HST is saying with the "right eyes"(I think the eyes are a metaphor in this speech). This could mean that the eyes he's speaking of could be the eyes of someone who's gone through the sixties and seventies, the eyes of someone who's pure and limitless.

Hannah
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:21 pm

Hannah, I copied and pasted your above response on today's question about symbolism. It's fits in very nicely over there too! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:26 pm

Thanks DITHOT, always a pleasure to meet a reader. :cool:
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:51 pm

Always a pleasure to meet a poster! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”