F&LILV Question #20 - Influences on Hunter

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

F&LILV Question #20 - Influences on Hunter

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:09 pm

Do you see the influence (not necessarily limited to writing style) of Fitzgerald, Hemmingway and/or Twain in Hunter? What other influences (literary, sociological, political) do you detect in F&LILV?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:46 pm

ekkkk too late in the night to think that hard Liz! hehe I think Hunters F&Lin LV is one of a kind. I havent read anything else like it.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:17 pm

I think in a sense, Hunter is all of those writers, you mentioned all in one. He brings out the best in each of them. He has something that special. I've never read anything so original, so great, its truly....genius.

Hannah
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:25 pm

Well V and DeppLovesBananahs, I can't argue with that. He was truly one of a kind.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:25 pm

well said Hannah! :cool:
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:56 pm

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:35 am

I agree with everyone else…Hunter is a true original who danced to his own music—especially as a writer. But I think a whole score of artists warmed up the audience waiting his grand entrance. Writers like Ginsberg, Miller and Burroughs; comedians like Lenny Bruce, George Carlin and Richard Pryor; and musicians like Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendricks... they all smashed a lot of cultural taboos about language, drugs and sex. I think each one made it a little easier for Hunter to waltz, or stumble, through the door of Circus Circus.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:52 am

And after the Green Day concert I attended last night, I think he's had an influence on other artists like Billie Joe Armstrong. And we know he's had an influence on Johnny.....and some of us.

I'd point out the fact that my question included influences other than literary and artistic, but I'm afraid that we'll get into "other question territory" yet again. :lol: And I sense that some of you know that. So I think it best to wait. I've liked your resposes today just as is. :disco: :chill: :cloud9:

JD101

Unread postby JD101 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:45 am

Ernest Hemmingway was certainly an influence on Hunters life as well as his death.
Hunter journied to the cabin where Hemmingway killed himself. I think Hemmingway's brutal honesty in his writing and the "toughness" of his prose is evident in Hunter's style. Maybe Mark Twain's humor and a 'from the people' point of view are common to both authors.

What I really think influenced HST's writing was his sense of personal and political justice. I just watched BWH yesterday and I thought it was funny where Leila Nebulsi and Benicio del Toro were reading the terms of HST's surrender to a DUI... where Benicio caught that they referred to him a private criminal. I thought that was a good description of his subversive writing style!
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:51 am

JD101 wrote:Ernest Hemmingway was certainly an influence on Hunters life as well as his death.
Hunter journied to the cabin where Hemmingway killed himself. I think Hemmingway's brutal honesty in his writing and the "toughness" of his prose is evident in Hunter's style. Maybe Mark Twain's humor and a 'from the people' point of view are common to both authors.

What I really think influenced HST's writing was his sense of personal and political justice. I just watched BWH yesterday and I thought it was funny where Leila Nebulsi and Benicio del Toro were reading the terms of HST's surrender to a DUI... where Benicio caught that they referred to him a private criminal. I thought that was a good description of his subversive writing style!

You're blowing me away here, JD101. I totally agree with you about Twain's influence, based on what I've since learned about Twain here from all of you. And good catch from BWH. I like that description of his writing style--subversive.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:02 am

JD101 wrote: What I really think influenced HST's writing was his sense of personal and political justice.

YES! :bounce: I think he was influenced in his writing style by Twain, Hemmingway and Fitzgerald but I think politics/current events and his sense of justice are what gave him the fire!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:34 pm

Liz wrote:And after the Green Day concert I attended last night, I think he's had an influence on other artists like Billie Joe Armstrong. And we know he's had an influence on Johnny.....and some of us.

I'd point out the fact that my question included influences other than literary and artistic, but I'm afraid that we'll get into "other question territory" yet again. :lol: And I sense that some of you know that. So I think it best to wait. I've liked your resposes today just as is. :disco: :chill: :cloud9:

Wait, wait, wait, YOU LIKE GREEN DAY. I am in love with Billie Joe Armstrong, have been for quite some time now. That's all, for now. :blush:

Hannah

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:32 pm

DeppLovesBananahs wrote:
Liz wrote:And after the Green Day concert I attended last night, I think he's had an influence on other artists like Billie Joe Armstrong. And we know he's had an influence on Johnny.....and some of us.

Wait, wait, wait, YOU LIKE GREEN DAY. I am in love with Billie Joe Armstrong, have been for quite some time now. That's all, for now. :blush:

Hannah

It's my daughter who's the big fan. However, I'm quickly becoming one. I have always liked Blvd. of Broken Dreams (It makes me think of the broken American Dream--Did I really say that? Or just think it?). I especially like the remix. It was a great concert!!!!! Billie Joe has a lot of charisma, that's for sure--the same kind of charisma as Hunter.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:54 am

He was political,wasn't he?..He was into social justice and true democracy ..These were his main influences..We usually develop social consciences as children,young adults..I wonder what made him such a politcal animal?
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

JD101

Unread postby JD101 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:35 am

gilly wrote:He was political,wasn't he?..He was into social justice and true democracy ..These were his main influences..We usually develop social consciences as children,young adults..I wonder what made him such a politcal animal?

I believe he was arrested and convicted of rape when he was a teenager. He has always denied it and so he felt he was wrongly accused and incarcerated. The justice system failed him. I have a feeling it may have started around that time, though he writes of problems with the authorities even before that.... something about a mailbox getting damaged and the federal agent that came to question him and his father left a bad impression on him. He could see the weirdness of bureaucracy at work at a very young age.
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”