F&LILV Question #12: Ed Wood vs. Raoul Duke

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:24 pm

JD101 wrote:
Still-Rather-Timid wrote:Johnny's strategy of studying Hunter so intensely to play the role may have resulted in Johnny's Raoul being more Hunter than Raoul in the book.

Whoa! I had never thought of this! You have a very good point.

Reading the book before seeing the movie, I had no idea what Raoul (or Hunter, for that matter) really looked like other than a strange bald man on the back of a book jacket. I didn't know what he sounded like or what his mannerisms were. Now when I re-read the book I picture Johnny and Johnny is imitating Hunter. Are Hunter and Raoul that similar? I know RD had been described as a thinly veiled version of the author himself. I wonder how much of Johnny's portrayal is Raoul and how much is Hunter?

What was the question?
Oh, too little or too much information...
I think for Johnny, both are good. Too little info gives him the freedom to draw from his own personal sources and create something altogether new. That's gotta be fun!

Although it's probably more nerve wracking creating a character from the traits of a real live person, there must also be great satisfaction in creating a character close enough to the original that the original recognizes himself and admires and acknowledges the actor's work. Johnny got that with both HST and George Jung.

I remember when I first saw the movie, I thought it was funny and Johnny was very good--only because it was such a different role for him. What bothered me, though, was the fact that he mumbled so much. Then I saw Hunter for the first time in Breakfast With Hunter. Then it all became clear. And my admiration for Johnny went up a few more notches--as if it could go much higher. We'll say he went from a 4.0 to a 4.5 gpa. I wonder, though, what it would have been like to read the book first, without any preconceived notions.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:32 pm

Liz wrote:I remember when I first saw the movie, I thought it was funny and Johnny was very good--only because it was such a different role for him. What bothered me, though, was the fact that he mumbled so much. Then I saw Hunter for the first time in Breakfast With Hunter. Then it all became clear. And my admiration for Johnny went up a few more notches--as if it could go much higher. We'll say he went from a 4.0 to a 4.5 gpa. I wonder, though, what it would have been like to read the book first, without any preconceived notions.

I read the book first. Then when I saw the movie, I did enjoy it, but I didn't necessarily appreciate Johnny's performance as Raul Duke. And honestly, I was just trying to get past the baldness. :eyebrow: FInally, I saw Breakfast With Hunter and it all came together. One of those "aw-ha" moments for me. I went back and watched the movie again and could appreciate just how perfectly Johnny had channeled Hunter as Raul Duke.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”