F&LILV Question #11 - Back to the Movie for a Bit

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:07 pm

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:Maybe not enough people were doing acid in 1998 to appreciate the film. ;-)

:lol: Good point. ;-)
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:15 pm

DeppLovesBananahs wrote:
Still-Rather-Timid wrote:Maybe not enough people were doing acid in 1998 to appreciate the film. ;-)

:lol: Good point. ;-)

Never thought of it that way. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:20 pm

If the marketing of FALILV in theaters was reprehensible, here’s the tag line they used to launch the film to the home market—remember VHS anyone?

“Hilarious comedy about a business trip which becomes more trip than business.”

Can you imagine what your average Blockbuster renter thought after popping FALILV in the VCR?
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:24 pm

dharma_bum wrote:If the marketing of FALILV in theaters was reprehensible, here’s the tag line they used to launch the film to the home market—remember VHS anyone?

“Hilarious comedy about a business trip which becomes more trip than business.” Can you imagine what your average Blockbuster renter thought after popping FALILV in the VCR?

Probably what I thought... :yikes:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:29 pm

theresa wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:If the marketing of FALILV in theaters was reprehensible, here’s the tag line they used to launch the film to the home market—remember VHS anyone?

“Hilarious comedy about a business trip which becomes more trip than business.” Can you imagine what your average Blockbuster renter thought after popping FALILV in the VCR?

Probably what I thought... :yikes:

:biglaugh: :rotflmao:

And that would be me at the time it came out on video.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:21 am

When I first saw the film, a few months back, I thought''What the heck was that''. :-O .I know that there can be huge differences between a book and it's movie..two completely different art forms often..but I was not expecting this..It's still a film I find it hard to watch,unless I have the commentary on :blush: ..There are parts I love,the 'fear' parts,but the' loathing' parts are hard to take...I always saw FALILV as a satire on American society at the time,as being very political and I'm not sure that element came out strongly enough in the film
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

shame_about_rasins

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:29 am

gilly wrote:When I first saw the film, a few months back, I thought''What the heck was that''. :-O .I know that there can be huge differences between a book and it's movie..two completely different art forms often..but I was not expecting this..It's still a film I find it hard to watch,unless I have the commentary on :blush: ..There are parts I love,the 'fear' parts,but the' loathing' parts are hard to take...I always saw FALILV as a satire on American society at the time,as being very political and I'm not sure that element came out strongly enough in the film

I personally find it easy to watch, but I definatly agree with the fact that the movie idoes not tackle the political side of the film that much.
before he came down it never snowed.........

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”