It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:04 am 

Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson
Great choices everyone! :lol: I laugh every time I read them. It's like the best Cliff Notes, but then again, who wouldn't want to go ahead and read the whole book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:36 am 

Endora, have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? I never thought a book on punctuation could be so entertaining! :lol: (And I know what you are thinking out there...it's not about Sands! :capnjack: )

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:54 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Endora, have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? I never thought a book on punctuation could be so entertaining! :lol: (And I know what you are thinking out there...it's not about Sands! :capnjack: )

Yes, I enjoyed it. I particularly liked the semi-colon section!

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:59 pm 

:lol: That made me laugh out loud DITHOT. I had never thought of that book title in connection with Sands, but it's absolutely perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:28 pm 

Aha! I finally remembered to bring my book to work for the quotes:

Pg. 4 - "The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and more irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."

Pg. 42 - "at one point I tried to drive the Great Red Shark into the laundry room of the Landmark Hotel--but the door was too narrow, and the people inside seemed dangerously excited."

Pg. 43 - "What the hell are you doing?" one screamed. "You can't park HERE."

"Why not?" I said. It seemed like a reasonable place to park, plenty of space. I'd been looking for a parking spot for what seemed like a very long time. Too long. I was about ready to abandon the car and call a taxi....but then, yes, we found THIS space.

Which turned out to be the sidewalk in front of the main entrance to the Desert Inn.

Pg. 47 - "No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs. Reality itself is too twisted."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:41 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Endora wrote:

Yes, I enjoyed it. I particularly liked the semi-colon section!

Uh oh. Maybe I'd better read that chapter. :blush:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:44 pm 
JDZ Moderator

CharlotteinCA wrote:
Aha! I finally remembered to bring my book to work for the quotes:

Pg. 4 - "The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and more irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."

Pg. 42 - "at one point I tried to drive the Great Red Shark into the laundry room of the Landmark Hotel--but the door was too narrow, and the people inside seemed dangerously excited."

Pg. 43 - "What the hell are you doing?" one screamed. "You can't park HERE."

"Why not?" I said. It seemed like a reasonable place to park, plenty of space. I'd been looking for a parking spot for what seemed like a very long time. Too long. I was about ready to abandon the car and call a taxi....but then, yes, we found THIS space.

Which turned out to be the sidewalk in front of the main entrance to the Desert Inn.

Pg. 47 - "No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs. Reality itself is too twisted."

Glad you brought your book, Charlotte. Those are really good ones--esp. the two involving the Red Shark. :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:06 pm 

Quote:

:biglaugh: I'm so glad you posted that one! I had a huge laugh over it the first time I read it!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:09 pm 

Page 5- "We're your friends," said my attorney. "We're not like the others."

further down on page 5- "O Christ, I thought, he's gone around the bend. "No more of that talk," I said, sharply. "Or we'll put the leeches on you."

page 6- "By the way," I said. "There's one thing you should probably understand." He stared at me, not blinking. Was he gritting his teeth? "Can you hear me?" I yelled."

page 6- "I blundered on: "I want you to understand that this man at the wheel is my attorney! He's not just some dingbat I found on the Strip."

page 27- "Shoot it," said my attorney.
"Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits."

Gees, there's so many quotes......I love everything about this book, if I keep going I'll end up typing the whole book!

Hannah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:56 pm 

I love the bit about studying it's habits before they kill it, thankyou DLB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:04 pm 

[quote]page 6- "I blundered on: "I want you to understand that this man at the wheel is my attorney! He's not just some dingbat I found on the Strip."

I'm glad you posted this one--it made me laugh when I read it. I haven't heard the word 'dingbat' in some time. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:11 pm 

CharlotteinCA wrote:
Quote:
page 6- "I blundered on: "I want you to understand that this man at the wheel is my attorney! He's not just some dingbat I found on the Strip."

I'm glad you posted this one--it made me laugh when I read it. I haven't heard the word 'dingbat' in some time. :lol:

I forgot about that, the book is just choc-full of great ones, I have heard dingbat before, maybe it is an Australian saying or something... I am not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:26 pm 

Sorry to jump in here - but I was reading F&L today, and I just burst out laughing at the "translucent soap" :lol: I don't know why, but I just loved reading about all the Neutrogena they accumulated ... There was something else that had me reveling in HST's genius today as well, but I can't remember it :banghead: - Hope this one wasn't posted though! :blush:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:08 pm 

shame_about_rasins wrote:
CharlotteinCA wrote:
Quote:

I forgot about that, the book is just choc-full of great ones, I have heard dingbat before, maybe it is an Australian saying or something... I am not sure.

I loved that one, too. Didn't Archie Bunker sometimes call his wife "Dingbat"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 pm 

shame_about_rasins wrote:
I love the bit about studying it's habits before they kill it, thankyou DLB!

you are SO welcome. I love all those quick responses they all give. :)

I believe dingbat is a latin term for bad cheese. :-O

Hannah

ps kidding about that last part, since when is cheese BAD? :-?

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next