F&LILV Question #9 - Favorite Quotes

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
KYwoman
Posts: 5958
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Status: Offline

Unread postby KYwoman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:04 am

Great choices everyone! :lol: I laugh every time I read them. It's like the best Cliff Notes, but then again, who wouldn't want to go ahead and read the whole book!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:36 am

Endora, have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? I never thought a book on punctuation could be so entertaining! :lol: (And I know what you are thinking out there...it's not about Sands! :capnjack: )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Endora
Posts: 15654
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:03 pm
Location: Darkest UK~ Down in Albion

Status: Offline

Unread postby Endora » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:54 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Endora, have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? I never thought a book on punctuation could be so entertaining! :lol: (And I know what you are thinking out there...it's not about Sands! :capnjack: )


Yes, I enjoyed it. I particularly liked the semi-colon section!
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

User avatar
Sands
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:28 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Status: Offline

Unread postby Sands » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:59 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Endora, have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? I never thought a book on punctuation could be so entertaining! :lol: (And I know what you are thinking out there...it's not about Sands! :capnjack: )


:lol: That made me laugh out loud DITHOT. I had never thought of that book title in connection with Sands, but it's absolutely perfect.
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

User avatar
ThirdArm
Posts: 2999
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:43 pm
Location: Monterey Bay

Status: Offline

Unread postby ThirdArm » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:28 pm

Aha! I finally remembered to bring my book to work for the quotes:

Pg. 4 - "The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and more irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."

Pg. 42 - "at one point I tried to drive the Great Red Shark into the laundry room of the Landmark Hotel--but the door was too narrow, and the people inside seemed dangerously excited."

Pg. 43 - "What the hell are you doing?" one screamed. "You can't park HERE."

"Why not?" I said. It seemed like a reasonable place to park, plenty of space. I'd been looking for a parking spot for what seemed like a very long time. Too long. I was about ready to abandon the car and call a taxi....but then, yes, we found THIS space.

Which turned out to be the sidewalk in front of the main entrance to the Desert Inn.

Pg. 47 - "No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs. Reality itself is too twisted."
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12927
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:41 pm

Endora wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Endora, have you read Eats, Shoots and Leaves? I never thought a book on punctuation could be so entertaining! :lol: (And I know what you are thinking out there...it's not about Sands! :capnjack: )


Yes, I enjoyed it. I particularly liked the semi-colon section!


Uh oh. Maybe I'd better read that chapter. :blush:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12927
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:44 pm

CharlotteinCA wrote:Aha! I finally remembered to bring my book to work for the quotes:

Pg. 4 - "The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and more irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."

Pg. 42 - "at one point I tried to drive the Great Red Shark into the laundry room of the Landmark Hotel--but the door was too narrow, and the people inside seemed dangerously excited."

Pg. 43 - "What the hell are you doing?" one screamed. "You can't park HERE."

"Why not?" I said. It seemed like a reasonable place to park, plenty of space. I'd been looking for a parking spot for what seemed like a very long time. Too long. I was about ready to abandon the car and call a taxi....but then, yes, we found THIS space.

Which turned out to be the sidewalk in front of the main entrance to the Desert Inn.

Pg. 47 - "No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs. Reality itself is too twisted."


Glad you brought your book, Charlotte. Those are really good ones--esp. the two involving the Red Shark. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:06 pm

Pg. 42 - "at one point I tried to drive the Great Red Shark into the laundry room of the Landmark Hotel--but the door was too narrow, and the people inside seemed dangerously excited."


:biglaugh: I'm so glad you posted that one! I had a huge laugh over it the first time I read it!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
DeppLovesBananahs
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:24 pm
Location: a high and beautiful wave
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:09 pm

Page 5- "We're your friends," said my attorney. "We're not like the others."


further down on page 5- "O Christ, I thought, he's gone around the bend. "No more of that talk," I said, sharply. "Or we'll put the leeches on you."


page 6- "By the way," I said. "There's one thing you should probably understand." He stared at me, not blinking. Was he gritting his teeth? "Can you hear me?" I yelled."


page 6- "I blundered on: "I want you to understand that this man at the wheel is my attorney! He's not just some dingbat I found on the Strip."

page 27- "Shoot it," said my attorney.
"Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits."


Gees, there's so many quotes......I love everything about this book, if I keep going I'll end up typing the whole book!

Hannah
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

User avatar
shame_about_rasins
Posts: 2176
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:00 pm
Location: sydney, Australia
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:56 pm

I love the bit about studying it's habits before they kill it, thankyou DLB!
before he came down it never snowed.........

User avatar
ThirdArm
Posts: 2999
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:43 pm
Location: Monterey Bay

Status: Offline

Unread postby ThirdArm » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:04 pm

[quote]page 6- "I blundered on: "I want you to understand that this man at the wheel is my attorney! He's not just some dingbat I found on the Strip."

I'm glad you posted this one--it made me laugh when I read it. I haven't heard the word 'dingbat' in some time. :lol:
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

User avatar
shame_about_rasins
Posts: 2176
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:00 pm
Location: sydney, Australia
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:11 pm

CharlotteinCA wrote:
page 6- "I blundered on: "I want you to understand that this man at the wheel is my attorney! He's not just some dingbat I found on the Strip."


I'm glad you posted this one--it made me laugh when I read it. I haven't heard the word 'dingbat' in some time. :lol:

I forgot about that, the book is just choc-full of great ones, I have heard dingbat before, maybe it is an Australian saying or something... I am not sure.
before he came down it never snowed.........

User avatar
kristen
Posts: 5070
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:42 am
Location: FL, USA

Status: Offline

Unread postby kristen » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:26 pm

Sorry to jump in here - but I was reading F&L today, and I just burst out laughing at the "translucent soap" :lol: I don't know why, but I just loved reading about all the Neutrogena they accumulated ... There was something else that had me reveling in HST's genius today as well, but I can't remember it :banghead: - Hope this one wasn't posted though! :blush:

Still-Rather-Timid
Posts: 1304
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:07 pm

Status: Offline

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:08 pm

shame_about_rasins wrote:
CharlotteinCA wrote:
page 6- "I blundered on: "I want you to understand that this man at the wheel is my attorney! He's not just some dingbat I found on the Strip."


I'm glad you posted this one--it made me laugh when I read it. I haven't heard the word 'dingbat' in some time. :lol:

I forgot about that, the book is just choc-full of great ones, I have heard dingbat before, maybe it is an Australian saying or something... I am not sure.


I loved that one, too. Didn't Archie Bunker sometimes call his wife "Dingbat"?

User avatar
DeppLovesBananahs
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:24 pm
Location: a high and beautiful wave
Contact:

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 pm

shame_about_rasins wrote:I love the bit about studying it's habits before they kill it, thankyou DLB!


you are SO welcome. I love all those quick responses they all give. :)

I believe dingbat is a latin term for bad cheese. :-O

Hannah

ps kidding about that last part, since when is cheese BAD? :-?
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt


Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest