Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:56 pm 

es wrote:
well can only quot from the movie but ;
"quick like a bunny" that was just so funny
greets,
es

That's a great one, es. It's becuse it's such a childish thing to say, so weird after all that adult language that he dcides to talk as if you would if you're encouraging a little child to do something.

Solace in the flood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:09 pm 

Endora wrote:
es wrote:
well can only quot from the movie but ;
"quick like a bunny" that was just so funny
greets,
es

That's a great one, es. It's becuse it's such a childish thing to say, so weird after all that adult language that he dcides to talk as if you would if you're encouraging a little child to do something.

Hi, es! :wave: Good to see you here again! When my good friend and I were in high school we used to say that all the time so I had to laugh when I heard it!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:00 pm 

I have to say that I love the Wave speech and the scene when he talks to Dr. Gonzo about turning these pigs loose on Lucy. I waited at the employment agency and had to laugh out loud, because it was so funny. And definitely the drug conference thingy. Cockroaches. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:27 pm 

My first response to your question was: The Whole Book!! (Like those capitals?)
Since I used a library book that couldn't be renewed because there was a waiting list for this old book, I just took notes and simply couldn't get my feeble fingers to write down all the long hilarious passages, I'll have to settle for this...

"How would Horatio Alger handle this situation?" 'Twas a situation Horatio undoubtedly frequently found himself in--alone in Las Vegas, twisted on drugs, no money, expensive rental car, a huge hotel bill, no attorney, no story for his magazine, and a.35 Magnum gun (unregistered, maybe hot).

Duke was considering explaining that the trashed hotel room was an exaggerated medical exhibit of what happens "if twenty-two serious drug felons--each with a different addiction--were penned up together in the same room for five days and nights without relief."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:30 pm 

[quote="Endora

Quote:
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side when he sees the big red light behind him...and will then start apologising, begging for mercy.
This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. The thing to do- when you're running about a hundred and you suddenly find a red-flashing CHP tracker on your tail- what you want to do then is accelerate.

...and he will follow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:06 pm 

Here are some of my favorites. Absolutely hysterical. :lol: ...

Duke - "I'd like to get hold of some priests' robes, They might come in handy in Las Vegas."

Duke - "For christ's sake don't smoke that pipe at stoplights. Keep in mind that we're exposed."
He [Gonzo] nodded. "We need a big hookah. Keep it down here on the seat out of sight. If anybody sees us, they'll think we're using oxygen."

Duke - "Jesus! Did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

(Actually this last part was funnier to me in the film...)

My attorney was now fumbling with the salt shaker containing the cocaine. Opening it. Spilling it. Then screaming and grabbing at the air, as our fine white dust blew up and out across the desert highway. A very expensive little twister rising up from the Great Red Shark. "Oh, jesus!" he moaned. "Did you see what God just did to us?"
"God didn't do that!" I shouted. "You did it. You're a f***ing narcotics agent! I was on to your stinking act from the start, you pig!"

Last edited by abigail on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"A man must funtion in a pattern of his own choosing. For to let another man define your own goals is to give up one of the most meaningful aspects of life - The definitive act of will, which makes a man an individual. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:11 pm 

I left my book at school today ! I usually bring it home, but I didn't want to forget it.
So This probably isn't exact but that's alright !

"It is absolutely imparitive, that I make it to the mint hotel lounge before the deadline for press registration...Otherwise....we might have to pay for out suit!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:28 pm 

Oh gosh I am in hysterics, those quotes were great!!
Quote:
I gave him the key to the trunk while I lit up the hash pipe. He came back with the ether-bottle, un-capped it, then poured some into a kleenex and mashed it under his nose, breathing heavily. I soaked anaother kleenex ans fouled my own nose. The smell was overwhelming, even with the top down. Soon we were staggering up the stairs towards the entrance, laughing stupidly and dragging each other along, like drunks.

This is the major advantage of ether: it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish nivel...total loss of all basic motor skills: blurred vission, no balance, numb tounge-severance of all connection between the body and the brain. Which is interesting, becasse your brain continues to function more or less normally...you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't contral it.

You aproach the turnstiles leading into the Circus-Circus and you that when you get there, you hve to give the man two dollars or he won't let you inside...but when you get there, everything goes wrong: you misjudge the distance to the turnstiles and slam against it, bounce off and grab hold of an old women to keep from falling, some angry Rotarian shoves you and you think: What's happening here? What's going on? Then you hear yourself mumbiling "Dogs f***ed the Pope, no fault of mine whatch out!...Why money? My name is Brinks; I was born...born? Get shep over side...women and children to armored car...orders from Captain Zeep"

Ah, devil ether- a total body drug. Th mind recoils in horror, unable to communicat with the spinal column. The hands flap crazily, unable to get money out of the pocket...garbled laughter and hissing from the mouth...always smiling.

Ether is the perfect drug for Las Vegas. In this town they love a drunk. So they put us through the turnstiles and turned us loose inside

Sorry it is soo long, but I find this whole section hysterical!!

Last edited by shame_about_rasins on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:47 pm 

Excellent passages! :cool: Have we covered the whole book yet??? :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:49 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Excellent passages! :cool: Have we covered the whole book yet??? :lol:

Very close I think :biglaugh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:05 pm 

Great choices! I also love the one that someone has incorporated into their avatar (Sorry, I forget whose :blush: ), where he spills the LSD on his shirt and the musician starts sucking on his sleeve: "I wondered what would happen if some Kingston Trio/young stockbroker type might wander in and catch us in the act. F**k him, I thought. With a bit of luck, it'll ruin his life - forever thinking that just behind some narrow door in all his favorite bars, men in red Pendleton shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. Would he dare to suck a sleeve? Probably not. Play it safe. Pretend you never saw it. . ." :rotflmao:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:20 pm 

"And now look at me: half-crazy with fear, driving 120 miles per hour across Death Valley in some car I never even wanted. You evil b@!$%#d! This is your work! You'd better take care of me, Lord . . . because if you don't you're going to have me on your hands."

Hehe, this is fun! Great lines, everyone :cool:

...the misfit made good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:25 pm 

Bix wrote:
Great choices! I also love the one that someone has incorporated into their avatar (Sorry, I forget whose :blush: ), where he spills the LSD on his shirt and the musician starts sucking on his sleeve: "I wondered what would happen if some Kingston Trio/young stockbroker type might wander in and catch us in the act. F**k him, I thought. With a bit of luck, it'll ruin his life - forever thinking that just behind some narrow door in all his favorite bars, men in red Pendleton shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. Would he dare to suck a sleeve? Probably not. Play it safe. Pretend you never saw it. . ." :rotflmao:

I LOVE THAT LINE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:30 pm 

This IS fun! Gosh, I love this book, and you are all picking out the funniest lines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:43 pm 
JDZ Moderator

capnjacksgurl85 wrote:
This is your work! You'd better take care of me, Lord . . . because if you don't you're going to have me on your hands."

Hehe, this is fun! Great lines, everyone :cool:

I love that line. I frequently think about that line and how He does have him on His hands now..... :eyebrow:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next