F&LILV Question #7: The Women of the Story

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:30 am

abigail wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:
Sands wrote:I feel we have to be so careful not to try and 'beat them at their own game' rather than putting a stop to the game altogether, if you know what I mean.

YES! That was definitely the lesson I learned from the icky workplace politics of the eighties and nineties.

Ditto, dharma_bum. Sands you've put that so eloquently. Man I love this thread. So many great thoughts being shared here! :goodvibes:

Ditto, abigail! :cool:

Hannah wrote: ps I should post periodically updates on my english teacher and if she's Depp obsessed yet. I'll work on her. My last year's writing lab was.....thanks to me.

Keep up the good work! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:56 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Hannah wrote: ps I should post periodically updates on my english teacher and if she's Depp obsessed yet. I'll work on her. My last year's writing lab was.....thanks to me.

Thanks :cool: My writing lab teacher thought like a Depphead, she gave me that Scholastic magazine from awhile back...? You know the one with JD-FN on the cover? I was so excited that day, I think I squealed. :blush: She even said she saw Nick of Time, and other JD movies. She saw FN too I believe. :capnjack:

I'm getting alittle anxious with my English teacher though, we're still learning about them puritans and how they ate too much turkey, and NO Johnny DEPP. I gave her the quotes, so she has to incorporate it some day. If not I shall not give her a turkey this year for Thanksgiving. HA.

Hannah
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Rosevelt

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:20 pm

DeppLovesBananahs wrote:

Thanks :cool: My writing lab teacher thought like a Depphead, she gave me that Scholastic magazine from awhile back...? You know the one with JD-FN on the cover? I was so excited that day, I think I squealed. :blush: She even said she saw Nick of Time, and other JD movies. She saw FN too I believe. :capnjack:

I'm getting alittle anxious with my English teacher though, we're still learning about them puritans and how they ate too much turkey, and NO Johnny DEPP. I gave her the quotes, so she has to incorporate it some day. If not I shall not give her a turkey this year for Thanksgiving. HA.

Hannah

Keep it up Hannah. Maybe you can get to her through JD's love of reading. No one can resist for long!!! :thud:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:13 pm

DeppLovesBananahs wrote:

Hannah

Keep it up Hannah. Maybe you can get to her through JD's love of reading. No one can resist for long!!! :thud:

I did! I recommended this book, maybe you've heard of it, its called....Fear and Loathing......in......Los Angeles. No.....maybe...Las Vegas?

Anyway, she's gonna try to read it. I even mentioned to her when she asked me if it was all about drugs, I said well, you could say that the drugs are a metaphor....I didn't have enough time to tell her why, because we were starting class, but I did tell her that the quote in the beginning the "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" sort of set up the whole book.

SO I tried, and she did say she'd read it. :cool: Its a start, by June she'll be singing A pirate's life for me in her sleep.

Hannah

DeppLovesBananahs

Unread postby DeppLovesBananahs » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:53 pm

shame_about_rasins wrote:
DeppLovesBananahs wrote:
DeppLovesBananahs wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Hannah, there are no points taken off, ever!

YAY. My Stephen King Corn line STANDS. :bounce:

sar, thanks for agreeing with me, I do hope English gets more fun down the road, my teacher right now likes Brad Pitt. :-O I brought JD quotes to class because she gives extra credits for quotes for the daily journal response to the quote. And she told me she loves Brad Pitt. And I also gave her a Charlie Chaplin quote and she was like, oh I didn't know he had quotes and I was like, yeah apparently he talks.

sar, that is one of the best comebacks I have ever heard. "Apparently he talks...) :biglaugh:

Twas my comeback, tis ok, I go by sar when I double as a comedian on thursday nights. :-O I do hope its ok to use old english on the zone. :-?

Ha Ha, I read DITHOT's message about me having a great comeback, I was like awsome... only I do not remeber writing one... :banghead: ... I alsmost go the credit for your humour :banghead: :bounce: :eyebrow: :cool: . But I agree that was really funny :biglaugh:

Its alright, because I share my humor with everyone through osmosis. :-O But I'm glad you liked my comeback. :)
Hannah

shame_about_rasins

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:25 am

Still-Rather-Timid wrote:
Sands wrote:I just had a thought about this thread, and I'm wondering about the whole thing of talking about 'the women' in the book. I mean we don't ask ourselves about 'the men' in the book. I'm kind of wondering if it isn't chauvinistic in itself to lump three or four very different individuals together and generalise about the way they're portrayed just because they happen to all be female.

I must confess that when I react negatively to the treatment of women in F&LILV, my reaction is colored by more than what is strictly between the covers of the book. If Hunter had written only one book in which three women happen to be portrayed more degradingly than anyone else in the book, with overtones of sexual violence against them, but he had also written several books (or even one!) which had sympathetic women protagonists, I probably would be comfortable believing that well, Lucy is just a caricature of a particular kind of teenaged-girl Jesus Freak from the late 60s. But Hunter's works as a whole make me uncomfortable because there is so often a fascination with violence against women, and with women being portrayed as degraded objects rather than powerful subjects. The way he chooses to portray women is pretty uniform, from everything I've seen (admittedly not everything). And If I had not heard of Hunter's comments like the ones about Kate Moss, I may not have looked as suspiciously upon the episodes of Lucy, the waitress, and the chambermaid. So I admit that I am not sticking fairly to the book itself when I get in a huff about the portrayal of women in it.

And I agree with DITHOT that Hunter reflects a tendency still rife in our society to view women as lesser beings. But of course I live in a country that has yet to have a woman president, where women are more likely than men to live in poverty, the list goes on. . . .

Sorry a stupid question. :blush: Are you talking about America?
And what coments about Kate Moss did Hunter mkae, I have not heard them. :blush:
I agree women are often portrayed as a second class citizens or objects ect. in literature. (RNB and Hip Hop video clips lately are extreme exambples of that I think) But for some reason I do not condem the portrayal of the Women in the story because I think it reflects the life at the time, I still am not sure that Hunter felt that way about women, rather he was documenting the attitudes of the time. But I have not read these Kate Moss references.
before he came down it never snowed.........

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”