F&LILV Question #1 - The Book vs. The Movie

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 am

I'm very late to this,but I have to say that reading the book first helped me greatly with the film..In fact when I first saw the film, I found it, to quote Johnny in another context,'completely shocking'....I just didn't visualize the book like this...In many way they are 2 completely different experiences..the book is almost more tame to me.Maybe that's because it's always more shocking to see the chaos and frenzy than to read about it... :cool: .
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:34 am

In a way I think you are right, gilly. When you read something you have your own perception of the visuals. If the movie is very different from how you imagined the characters or certain scenes, it can be a very different experience. And that is true of any book/movie.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

shame_about_rasins

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:08 am

gilly wrote:I'm very late to this,but I have to say that reading the book first helped me greatly with the film..In fact when I first saw the film, I found it, to quote Johnny in another context,'completely shocking'....I just didn't visualize the book like this...In many way they are 2 completely different experiences..the book is almost more tame to me.Maybe that's because it's always more shocking to see the chaos and frenzy than to read about it... :cool: .

I did not visualise like the film either, my imagination might not be that shocking, as you/Johnny put it, but since I saw the movie before I finished the book, I started picturing it more like the movie. Normally if this happens I feel "robbed" of the book, but strangely I did not experience this, I think because as lots of people said, the complement each other BRILLIANTLY.
before he came down it never snowed.........

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”