F&LILV Question #1 - The Book vs. The Movie

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

shame_about_rasins

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:02 am

bluebird wrote:Example: In Chapter 4
"There's a big ... machine in the sky ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
"Shoot it," said my attorney.
"Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits."

I don't know why but I just giggle at this!! Hunteritis, I guess.
bluebird

That bit gets me EVERY time! Is that bit in the movie too? The two blend together for me.
before he came down it never snowed.........

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:05 am

QueenofKings, yes the carpet scene. I agree that's probably the best depiction of an acid experience I've ever seen on screen - more accurate in some ways than the more gross imagery, though perhaps not as absurdly funny. On the other hand that subtle disorientation can sometimes be more unsettling and scary than full-on hallucinations, and maybe easier to identify with.

I think that was the moment when my respect for Terry Gilliam soared. A lot of people had said this book was unfilmable, and I would have said so myself, but when I saw that carpet start to move and then creep up the walls I knew it was in capable hands.
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:32 am

Noodlemantras, I must post today's question and run to work but I just want to say that it is never too late to join in on a question! If you remember something you wanted to add days later, jump in! :bounce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:53 am

bluebird wrote:
Read Songs of Doom and you'll discover how he struggled for years with getting published. He knew he had something to say.

A quick correction....Read The Proud Highway for letters HST wrote when he was trying to find a publisher. Songs of Doom is next on my HST reading list.
I am ~~
the embarrassed
bluebird :blush:[/quote][/i]
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:31 am

bluebird wrote:bluebird wrote:
Read Songs of Doom and you'll discover how he struggled for years with getting published. He knew he had something to say.

A quick correction....Read The Proud Highway for letters HST wrote when he was trying to find a publisher. Songs of Doom is next on my HST reading list.
I am ~~
the embarrassed
bluebird :blush:
[/i][/quote]

No need to be :blush: bluebird! The letters from Proud Highway are very interesting and are a very good picture Hunter when he was a young, struggling writer. The Rum Diary is also a good read to get a feeling of his pre-Gonzo style.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:10 pm

shame_about_rasins wrote:
bluebird wrote:Example: In Chapter 4
"There's a big ... machine in the sky ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
"Shoot it," said my attorney.
"Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits."

I don't know why but I just giggle at this!! Hunteritis, I guess.
bluebird

That bit gets me EVERY time! Is that bit in the movie too? The two blend together for me.

Welcome to the discussion, Shame_about_rasins! :disco:

That is also one of my favorite parts. Definitely a laugh-out-loud moment. And I agree that the movie and the book blend well together. I think it is a must to do both--read the book and see the movie. The two compliment each other.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:35 pm

Gypsylee wrote:I will keep this brief as I am sure everyone has already touched on everything, but my personal opinion is the book and the movie are very very close to each other. The chapter in the book where the editor noted Hunters notes were a mess and they had to go by the tape word by word was an interesting chapter because it's not in the movie, so it was new to me.

That chapter, Breakdown on Pardise Blvd., was not in the movie itself. However, if you have the Criterion version there is an audio segment acted out by other actors.

Duke – Jim Jarmusch
Gonzo – Maury Chaykin
Taco Stand Waitress: Glenne Headley
Maury and Glenne
Lou, the Cook: Laurie Metcalf
Roseanne’s sister Jackie (top right)

I wish that Johnny and Benecio had been the ones to do it. Does anyone know why it was done that way?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:20 pm

just finished reading all your answers ladies and all I can say is THANKS - this is where I can only defer to your wisdom as I am too new to this 'obsession' to really have much background here - perhaps someone can clear something up for me though - several of you have mentioned "A CRITERION VERSION" of F&LILV - could someone tell me what this is - :eyebrow: thanks again :pray:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:29 pm

lizbet wrote:just finished reading all your answers ladies and all I can say is THANKS - this is where I can only defer to your wisdom as I am too new to this 'obsession' to really have much background here - perhaps someone can clear something up for me though - several of you have mentioned "A CRITERION VERSION" of F&LILV - could someone tell me what this is - :eyebrow: thanks again :pray:

lizbet, the Criterion version is a special edition 2-disc set released by The Criterion Collection. Here is the list of features -- from Amazon.com:

DVD Features:
Available subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), English (DTS)
New digital transfer supervised by the director and new Dolby sound mixes

Three commentary tracks: director Terry Gilliam; stars Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro and producer Laila Nabulsi; and author Hunter S. Thompson

Deleted scenes, with commentary by Terry Gilliam

Collection of storyboards and production designs

Collection of original artwork by famed illustrator Ralph Steadman

Fear and Loathing on the Road to Hollywood: A BBC feature documentary with Hunter S. Thompson and Ralph Steadman

Hunter Goes to Hollywood, a short documentary video by Wayne Ewing

A look at the controversy over the screenwriting credit

A selection of Hunter S. Thompson's correspondence read on-camera by Johnny Depp

Rare material on Oscar Zeta Acosta, the attorney on whom the character Dr. Gonzo is based

Excerpt from the 1996 audio CD

Trailer and stills galleries

A booklet featuring an essay by J. Hoberman and two pieces by Hunter S. Thompson

Number of discs: 2

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:34 pm

Thanks, Theresa. I'm editing my post now. You gave more info than I was going to give. :cool:

Lizbet, see the sticky at the top of the page:

http://johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=18994

It is included in the Criterion version. It's worth reading because it gives you some insight into Hunter's writing of F&L and Gonzo journalism. Some of us have this in our books, but others don't. I don't know what edition of the book you have. You may already have it.

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:49 pm

Am I right in thinking the Criterion DVD is only available for playing on American (Region 1?) or multi-region players but not for those of us with European (Region 2) players? And the same for Breakfast with Hunter?

I don't really know much about these different regions and players, perhaps someone more techno-savvy could enlighten me :-?
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:56 pm

beyond thanks - as usual ask a question and get AN ANSWER - gotta love ONBC ladies - :disco:

as for the edition of my book - let's see its new enough that there is mention of Hunter's passing in About the Author at the very back of the book - its Vintage Books with parts 1 & 2 - Ralph Steadman's drawings (???) - and that's about all I can tell you - nothing more nothing less - oh yah - the cover is designed from the movie - I'm not a big fan of this (got my CATCF pre - Johnny on the cover no offense its just I buy a book for the book not for what its being used to promote for Hollywood) however its a library copy so can't be choosy - :eyebrow:

PS - along the bottom of the front of my book it reads: "now a major motion picture from universal pictures"

I wonder if any motion picture is ever considered / marketed as MINOR!?!?!? just wondering!?!?!?
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:09 pm

Sands, I'm not sure which versions you can get the movies in but it should say if you can order Region 2. Maybe some of our UK Noodlemantras can fill us in on those two dvds. I know that unless you have an all region player you can only play Region 1 in the US and Region 2 in the UK. Don't know why just know that's the way it is. I also think all region players are much less expensive in the UK, or so I have been told. Suec can you help us out here?

lizbet wrote: I wonder if any motion picture is ever considered / marketed as MINOR!?!?!? just wondering!?!?!?

Terry Gilliam would probably have an answer for you on that one! I believe he said the technical term for the marketing of F&LILV was ":censored: up". :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Are_You_Listening?

Unread postby Are_You_Listening? » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:35 pm

Here's my order of things:
watched twenty minutes of Fear and Loathing first.
Freaked out. Turned it off. Read Book.
Loved Book.
Saw movie.
Loved movie.

Yes, I definitely reccommend the book first so you'll understand better. Good luck if you don't read it first. But, the movie and the book both are classics, and you're missing out if you haven't had the experience yet. Don't miss out on one of Mr. Depp's greatest performances of all time. How could you, being a Deppfan?

I happened to enjoy the book more, as most people say. I loved imagining Johnny's voice saying the passages to me! :hypnotic:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:54 pm

Are_You_Listening? wrote:Here's my order of things:
watched twenty minutes of Fear and Loathing first.
Freaked out. Turned it off. Read Book.
Loved Book.
Saw movie.
Loved movie.

Yes, I definitely reccommend the book first so you'll understand better. Good luck if you don't read it first. But, the movie and the book both are classics, and you're missing out if you haven't had the experience yet. Don't miss out on one of Mr. Depp's greatest performances of all time. How could you, being a Deppfan?

I happened to enjoy the book more, as most people say. I loved imagining Johnny's voice saying the passages to me! :hypnotic:

Are_You_Listening?, I hear you loud and clear, and welcome! :biglaugh: I love your desription of your order of things. I think F&L, the movie, is best taken in small doses, as it were.

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”