F&LILV Tidbit #18: 1960's Fashion

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

F&LILV Tidbit #18: 1960's Fashion

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:26 am

Fashions of the 1960’s

How many of you will admit to some of these? :grin:

Clothing in the early 1960’s was really a carry over from the decade of the 50’s. Clothing was very tailored and conservative. Women wore bouffant hairstyles and men had crew cuts.

(Yup, it’s Debbie again!)

Men’s casual dress consisted of plaid or solid button down shirts and plain slacks while women wore knee length dresses often with heels and gloves in the evenings. As the decade of the 60’s went on things began to change. It has been said that women’s hemlines during the 1960’s served as a barometer of contemporary attitudes.

Previously, traditionally strict rules had dictated what was worn and when. The 1960’s saw the abandonment of traditional rules, and it became perfectly reasonable to wear the same outfit to work as for an evening out. Material such as velvet and sating, previously only used for evening clothes, showed up extensively in all types of clothing.

Whereas it had been Paris and the large couturiers who had dictated clothing trends in the 1950’s, in the early 60’s London sprang to prominence with the emergence of a small group of designers and their boutiques. In 1963 Pierre Cardin designed the Beatles suits, which became a popular trend for men. Single breasted collarless jackets, slim pants and boots became popular.

Most notable in women’s fashion was Mary Quant, who had opened her boutique, Bazaar, in 1955. Quant was one of the first fashon designers to recognize that teenagers didn’t want to wear the dreary, conservtive matching dress and coat ensembles, neat pleated skirts and twin sets of their mothers.

Mary Quant

Following Quant’s lead, young women across the Western World were going mad for the Miniskirt. Featuring hemlines ranging from four to seven inches above the knee, the skirts were often worn with decorative tights or pantyhose. (Pantyhose made their first appearance in the 1960’s.) Many women viewed the Miniskirt as a symbol of women’s liberation.

The mini eventually evolved in to the Microskirt in 1967, which was little more than a tiny strip of material. Mary’s last contribution to 1960’s fashion was known as “Hot Pants.” She was quoted as saying, “Good taste is death. Vulgarity is life.” Both minis and micros were often paired with white go-go boots. Paisley ruled.

In 1964 the designer Courreges presented a space-age series of clothes to go along with all the interest in the space race. Different materials were used including metal, plastic and wire.

Op Art was also popular. It was a pattern using contrasting colors with black and white to create a sort of optical illusion.

Perhaps one of the most recognizable faces from that era was its most famous model, Twiggy. She was bone thin, except for her huge eyes and eyelashes. The desire to be thin had never been more in vogue. Her line, “It’s not what you’d call a figure, is it?” became a standard joke and everyone one was on a diet. By the end of 1966 Twiggy had been voted Woman of the Year in Britain. Her image was used on many toys, board games and paper dolls.

After about twelve months the space age look disappeared and was replaced with the flower power, peasant/hippie look that had originated in California. The hippie movement symbolized a form of anti-fashion in which virtually all types of clothing were acceptable. Clothing reflected a mood of independence, creativity and non-conformity. Tie dye, Beads, leather, fringes, bangles, vests, peace and love symbols were the order of the day. Psychedelic imagery was seen in exaggerated patterns and colors of fabrics. Long flowing hair, faded denim jeans bell-bottom with army surplus shirts, embellished t-shirts and no make-up were part of the style. The unisex look in clothing and hair styles became well established.

I had one of those!

I had a bunch of those! Still have a few...

Actual purple velvet pants from the 1960- not mine!

By the end of the decade ethnic fashions began to spread. Clothes inspired by Indian and African designs became popular influenced by Eastern religion and traditions. Skirts began to lengthen into what were knows as Midis and Maxis. Long, floor length dresses were popular as were peasant skirts.

Of course by the end of the decade, the fashion of non-conformity had become the norm. But the buttoned down, conformist era of clothing in the 1950’s had been transformed into the restless, free-spirited, rebellious mood of the 1960’s.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:05 am

:-O :lol: Did someone just go into my closet?! That was great! I remember (and owned) a few of those things. My favorite outfit was a miniskirt and white go-go boots that laced up! I can't believe my mom let me wear that to school. I guess she was just happy I was in a skirt and not those ragged jeans that were all frayed at the bottom from dragging the ground. Use to wear them with my moccasins.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:14 am

KYwoman wrote::-O :lol: Did someone just go into my closet?! That was great! I remember (and owned) a few of those things. My favorite outfit was a miniskirt and white go-go boots that laced up! I can't believe my mom let me wear that to school. I guess she was just happy I was in a skirt and not those ragged jeans that were all frayed at the bottom from dragging the ground. Use to wear them with my moccasins.

Did you have fishnet stockings to go with your go-go boots? I did!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:32 am

KY I think we shopped at the same places! :lol: I wish I still had those moccasins.

lumi, I had the boots but not the fishnets!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

KYwoman

Unread postby KYwoman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:58 am

lumineuse wrote:
KYwoman wrote::-O :lol: Did someone just go into my closet?! That was great! I remember (and owned) a few of those things. My favorite outfit was a miniskirt and white go-go boots that laced up! I can't believe my mom let me wear that to school. I guess she was just happy I was in a skirt and not those ragged jeans that were all frayed at the bottom from dragging the ground. Use to wear them with my moccasins.

Did you have fishnet stockings to go with your go-go boots? I did!

Sorry, no fishnet stockings. Not sure what my 6th grade teacher would have thought if I walked in class in those (or my mother for that matter.) :biglaugh:

KYwoman

Unread postby KYwoman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:00 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:KY I think we shopped at the same places! :lol: I wish I still had those moccasins.

lumi, I had the boots but not the fishnets!

Me too. :-/

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:12 am

Oh yeah! I had the fishnet stockings too! I also remember disposable dresses that were made out of strong paper ~ very strange; I don't think that really caught on. They had wild designs on them, and some of them looked like the black & white dress in DITHOT's post.

I had a friend who was totally obsessed with Twiggy, and I remember that Seventeen magazine that DITHOT posted.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:21 am

I had the white boots (they didn't lace up though). I didn't have the fishnets. I had some tights with diamonds on them instead. This was my favorite dress. I got it in 68. I still wear it once in a while. Couldn't resist, mates.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Liz-ONBC/Fear%20and%20Loathing/FashionTidbit.jpg

And I was totally obsessed with Twiggy. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:42 am

Groovy dress, Liz!

I vaguely remember those disposable dresses, joni. Don't think I ever knew anybody who had one, though.

I still miss those tattered blue jeans. I had a pair so low cut the zipper must have been about 2 inches long, and they were plastered with patches and embroidery that I put on them. They were so cool. Total rags. I hung on to them for about a decade, but I finally pitched them. Wish I hadn't now. They were suitable for framing. I was thrilled when boot cut jeans came back in style - they're still my favorites. I think I'm a little long in the tooth to go the bell-bottom route again, though!

Does anyone remember Yardley of London?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:47 am

lumineuse wrote:Groovy dress, Liz!

Thanks, Lumi. I remember Yardley. But I've been trying to remember who the model was for the products. :-?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:50 am

Liz wrote:

Thanks, Lumi. I remember Yardley. But I've been trying to remember who the model was for the products. :-?

I honestly thnk it might have been Twiggy. Yardley was the hottest thing at the time.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:01 am

lumineuse wrote:
Liz wrote:

I honestly thnk it might have been Twiggy. Yardley was the hottest thing at the time.

Not that Twiggy wasn't (there were probably more than one), but I'm thinking of a girl with long brown hair and bangs. It's been bugging me for the past 3 days. And I didn't realize she was with Yardley until you mentioned it.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:07 am

I vaguely remember those disposable dresses, joni. Don't think I ever knew anybody who had one, though.

I still miss those tattered blue jeans. I had a pair so low cut the zipper must have been about 2 inches long, and they were plastered with patches and embroidery that I put on them. They were so cool. Total rags. I hung on to them for about a decade, but I finally pitched them. Wish I hadn't now. They were suitable for framing. I was thrilled when boot cut jeans came back in style - they're still my favorites. I think I'm a little long in the tooth to go the bell-bottom route again, though!

Hi lumi,

I took all my patches that were still good enough and made a pillow cover out of them, I loved that pillow, when it died I took the patches off that were still usable and have them in my memory box..... I loved those bell bottoms that scrapped the ground!

Raven
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:08 am

I found this on a quick google search. I believe hey are referencing runway modeling in regards to the mini skirt.

Fawn-like Jean Shrimpton bridged the change from early 1960's formality to mid 1960's informality. The original model for Yardley cosmetics, she is also credited with wearing the first miniskirt in 1965.

Then came Twiggy:

Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow! What a ride!

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:10 am

I remember my friend and I making those jean skirts, though we jean material from other pants in the middle.

well I think I might have to tune in to 60's radio again, man I am tripping on the 60's!

thanks DITHOT!

Raven grooving
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid

and the envious."

John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”