F&LILV Question #26 ~ Hope

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:24 am

gilly wrote:It did strike me as slightly incongruous too,Liz :disco: ...but I feel he had been building up to this from the beginning.For me,that last line meant he would keep on moving forward,keep on searching.He hadn't given up despite everything..his disallusionment,the death of some of his hopes weren't the end of the road-but just part of the journey.Despite eveything he was confident for the future.He was a person to be reckoned with..

I like the way you put that, gilly. That is was part of the journey not the end. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:57 am

Isn't there a favourite quote of Johnny's along the lines of 'just keep moving forwards'? I can't find it :banghead: Can anyone enlighten me?
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:17 pm

Sands wrote:Isn't there a favourite quote of Johnny's along the lines of 'just keep moving forwards'? I can't find it :banghead: Can anyone enlighten me?

Is this it?

"One of the greatest pieces of advice I've ever gotten in my life was from my Mom. When I was a little kid there was a kid who was bugging me in school. And she said, ?Okay, I'm going to tell you what to do.? She said, ?The kid's bugging you. He puts his hands on you, you pick up the nearest rock, or whatever you can get your hands on, and you lay him out.? And I did! And I felt better. And it worked. So, for me, that was a great lesson because someone had invaded my space; invaded my being, you know, and was doing something against me that I didn't want to be done. So I took control of the situation and I ran with it. And many years later, after being turned into a product by a very huge corporation that had their hands all over me and I couldn't escape it, I promised myself that I would continue to move forward and do my best not to compromise in any way whatsoever; not allow anyone to put their hands on me and affect me in that way. So that's the best advice that I could give, is just to keep moving forward, and don't give a s**t what anybody thinks, you know. Just keep moving forward and do what you have to do for you."
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Sands

Unread postby Sands » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:47 pm

Yeah I think that was it. Thanks Endora :cool:
'Well, it's a little difficult for me to tell right now because I'm kind of having a bad day'

shame_about_rasins

Unread postby shame_about_rasins » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:51 pm

gilly wrote:It did strike me as slightly incongruous too,Liz :disco: ...but I feel he had been building up to this from the beginning.For me,that last line meant he would keep on moving forward,keep on searching.He hadn't given up despite everything..his disallusionment,the death of some of his hopes weren't the end of the road-but just part of the journey.Despite eveything he was confident for the future.He was a person to be reckoned with..

Gosh, you really sum up everything well, so elequent(can't spell)!
TOATALLY AGREE.
before he came down it never snowed.........

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:18 pm

shame_about_rasins wrote:

Gosh, you really sum up everything well, so elequent(can't spell)!
TOATALLY AGREE.

I like that too. :chill:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks SAR, :disco: but I think we all have such wonderful insights..It's a pleasure being here with you all :cloud9:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”