I, Fatty Question #24 ~ The right way?

by Jerry Stahl

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

I, Fatty Question #24 ~ The right way?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:40 am

pg. 271 “Do you think, in this life, there is one right way and one wrong way to do anything? Maybe the idea is to :censored: up as many ways as we can before we die. Maybe the gag is you weren’t :censored: up after all. In Pittsburgh, I met a midget who juggled sardines. When I asked him ‘Why sardines?’ he said, ‘Shark won’t fit in the suitcase.’ You got a better explanation for your stellar performance on this planet? Or am I going Oriental?”

What is your take on Roscoe’s philosophy? Do we just keep making mistakes?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:23 pm

Wow! So many ways to go with this. :-? Unfortunately (and fortunately, too, I guess!) , I don't think there is only one right way and one wrong way to do something. Life could be simpler if there were.... Instead we try whatever we think is best at the moment and that would depend on our knowledge, experience, morals and emotion at that time. With luck we learn from our mistakes, but I know that I depend upon a steady dose of inspiration to keep from repeating mine. I'm constantly amazed that I keep picking up one of Life's Little Lessons at my age! :eyebrow: Like, where have I been?!! :dunce:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:59 pm

Betty Sue wrote:Wow! So many ways to go with this. :-? Unfortunately (and fortunately, too, I guess!) , I don't think there is only one right way and one wrong way to do something. Life could be simpler if there were.... Instead we try whatever we think is best at the moment and that would depend on our knowledge, experience, morals and emotion at that time. With luck we learn from our mistakes, but I know that I depend upon a steady dose of inspiration to keep from repeating mine. I'm constantly amazed that I keep picking up one of Life's Little Lessons at my age! :eyebrow: Like, where have I been?!! :dunce:

:biglaugh:

I know the feeling, Betty Sue! A thought that is occurring to me far too often these days is, now why has it taken me 18 years (or worse!) to realise such-and-such? I like to think I learn from my mistakes... and sometimes I do... but then sometimes I don't either. I don't think it is all that easy to break bad habits though. (I know, it's not much of a defence, but it's all I've got.) On the other hand, when I make a real whopper of a mistake - now then I do learn, the hard way.
I would have to say though, that a person who doesn't do something because they are afraid of making a mistake - now there's a mistake! You could end up not doing anything at all.
On the whole I don't think there is only one right way and one wrong way of doing something, either.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:57 pm

Life would be pretty boring wouldn't it if there were only one way to do things. To me this passage is more Stahl and not Roscoe. Is he saying the joke just may be that we never really do mess up? It's all meant to be there for a reason?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:34 pm

suec wrote:
Betty Sue wrote:Wow! So many ways to go with this. :-? Unfortunately (and fortunately, too, I guess!) , I don't think there is only one right way and one wrong way to do something. Life could be simpler if there were.... Instead we try whatever we think is best at the moment and that would depend on our knowledge, experience, morals and emotion at that time. With luck we learn from our mistakes, but I know that I depend upon a steady dose of inspiration to keep from repeating mine. I'm constantly amazed that I keep picking up one of Life's Little Lessons at my age! :eyebrow: Like, where have I been?!! :dunce:

:biglaugh:

I know the feeling, Betty Sue! A thought that is occurring to me far too often these days is, now why has it taken me 18 years (or worse!) to realise such-and-such? I like to think I learn from my mistakes... and sometimes I do... but then sometimes I don't either. I don't think it is all that easy to break bad habits though. (I know, it's not much of a defence, but it's all I've got.) On the other hand, when I make a real whopper of a mistake - now then I do learn, the hard way.
I would have to say though, that a person who doesn't do something because they are afraid of making a mistake - now there's a mistake! You could end up not doing anything at all.
On the whole I don't think there is only one right way and one wrong way of doing something, either.

Let's look at this in a positive light. If we keep making mistakes (assuming it's not the same old one) then we are taking risks and trying something new.

I agree with DITHOT in that I think what Stahl is trying to say is that maybe they aren't mistakes at all but meant to be. As I always say, everything happens for a reason.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:40 pm

I think this says it all:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - Wow! What a ride!

If we arrived well preserved and pretty I dont think we would have had much of a life. Its the bumps and bruises that we get along the way that make life interesting. Good & bad make us what & who we are. Its impossible not to screw up once in awhile and usally leads to better around the corner. If we didnt go out on a limb & take chances Life would get in a rut & pretty boring. No one has all the answers and what one person thinks is right may not be the answer for another. When I really dont know what to do, I ask dad and do what he says. Most of the time he does know best but dont tell him that. :shhh:

Is he saying the joke just may be that we never really do mess up? It's all meant to be there for a reason?

I can agree with that. I think everything happens for a reason.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:52 pm

Veronica wrote: No one has all the answers and what one person thinks is right may not be the answer for another. When I really dont know what to do, I ask dad and do what he says. Most of the time he does know best but dont tell him that. :shhh:

When I'm checking my reality, I ask my dad and DON'T do what he says. Don't tell him I said that. :shhh: He thinks there is only one right answer or one right way of doing something--his way.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:51 pm

Everything has been figured out, except how to live.
Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.
Jean-Paul Sartre

No existentialists out there? I thought the quote was more about the freedom to keep making mistakes (they are choices after all) as long as you’re willing to accept the consequences… in this case knowing a marriage was doomed when he said his vows. In Stahl’s love-hate relationship with Roscoe, he makes him a bit of a masochist.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:09 am

And I was wondering, dharma_bum if he meant there were no mistakes?

Wow! What a ride!

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:44 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:And I was wondering, dharma_bum if he meant there were no mistakes?

Ah yes, well it is the other side of the same coin, isn't it. Roscoe may have felt that way, but I think Stahl may be way too cynical.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."

—Johnny Depp

Return to “I, Fatty”