It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: I, Fatty Question #12 - Fawning
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:06 am 
JDZ Moderator

What do you think it is that attracts women to men who are considered out of the cultural norm for beauty? I noticed it in Roscoe’s case and also in the case of Ray Charles.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Question #12
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:11 pm 

Well, I'd like to think that personality, character, talent, intelligence, sex appeal, and other qualities can shine through to make the man actually appear good-looking and lovable.
Unfortunately, I think the attraction could be money, fame, sympathy, lack of self-confidence and such, too.
Hey! I think Ray Charles is very good-looking! Maybe it's all in the eye of the beholder!! :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:07 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I guess I should point out that I am probably focusing more on the attraction women had for Roscoe when he was younger -- a pre-teen. I think in the case of Ray Charles, it was probably his talent and increasing success. Talent can be very sexy. :capnjack: :wonka:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:44 pm 

I like to think Roscoe was very sweet as a youngster. And probably kind of needy. Alot women always seem to like that. I know a few women that like to save things, mostly animals but I do know one that likes to save people. Maybe they wanted to save him?

Raven still filled with Wonka!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:12 pm 

Good point, Raven. Some people are natural protectors and a bit of vulnerability can be very effective. I don't think sex appeal in men is dependent on beauty at all. In the relationships I have had, their appearances weren't an issue at all. Each time, it was the personality that attracted me.

And now I am going off to phone my friend and screech at her in delirious excitement. Just seen the Home Page news about Johnny in London.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:46 pm 

In the case of famous people, one always wonders if sometimes the attraction is the fame and money? You hear stars talk about how protective they have to be and how much a real friend/partner is worth because there are so many people that are out to take adavantage of them.

(All digits crossed suec for a London sighting! :hope: )

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:55 pm 

Thanks DIDHOT. I think that the fame and money has to be significant for some people. I've thought before that certain "heart throbs" wouldn't seem anything special if they weren't film stars. But being successful and good at what you do is sexy - (wthin reason, I suppose!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:32 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

I agree with what everyone said here about fame and money being an attaction. And in the case of yonger Roscoe, like suec said, his vulnerability is a good word to describe why the women in the theater were drawn to him.

I just wanted to add one more -- power. Politicians and CEO's also seem to draw a group of admirers much like celebrities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:57 pm 

Good point about the attraction of power, theresa ane the shallowness of some people! :-/

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:25 pm 

I agree with all... money and power can and do upset the natural laws of attraction. In general, I find it unnerving to break personal chemistry down to its component parts, because the whole is always greater than the sum of the parts. If I took pieces from all of the men in my life I could probably assemble Frankenjohnny. He might be creative, talented and smart—even beautiful—but not the same. Oh well, you can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:54 pm 

Well said, dharma_bum. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:28 am 
JDZ Moderator

suec wrote:
Good point, Raven. Some people are natural protectors and a bit of vulnerability can be very effective. I don't think sex appeal in men is dependent on beauty at all. In the relationships I have had, their appearances weren't an issue at all. Each time, it was the personality that attracted me.

And now I am going off to phone my friend and screech at her in delirious excitement. Just seen the Home Page news about Johnny in London.

Suec, good luck. :hope:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:33 pm 

I've been trying to come up with a good way to explain what I want to say here and I don't think I have - so I'll just plunge on in. (When I saw Augustus Gloop in CATCF I thought of the young Roscoe - so large and baby-faced.) I think he must have seemed very vulnerable and needy. I think this appealed to the showgirls on several levels. One, they could mother him and pet him and, in a sense, treat him like their own pretend child or even like a big doll. But more, they did not have to fear being hit on by him. There would have been no danger of this overgrown boy turning their attentions into something sexual. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone? With handsome, confident boys and men, there is always that sexual undercurrent. And of course, sometimes that is a good thing. But if you are a beautiful young showgirl, you probably long for even one relationship where you don't have to keep your guard up all the time and where a kiss is just a sign of affection at this moment and not a prelude to something more. :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:24 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Bix wrote:
I've been trying to come up with a good way to explain what I want to say here and I don't think I have - so I'll just plunge on in. (When I saw Augustus Gloop in CATCF I thought of the young Roscoe - so large and baby-faced.) I think he must have seemed very vulnerable and needy. I think this appealed to the showgirls on several levels. One, they could mother him and pet him and, in a sense, treat him like their own pretend child or even like a big doll. But more, they did not have to fear being hit on by him. There would have been no danger of this overgrown boy turning their attentions into something sexual. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone? With handsome, confident boys and men, there is always that sexual undercurrent. And of course, sometimes that is a good thing. But if you are a beautiful young showgirl, you probably long for even one relationship where you don't have to keep your guard up all the time and where a kiss is just a sign of affection at this moment and not a prelude to something more. :-/

Interesting idea, Bix. That could very well be. I'm having a thought here. :idea: Could that also be the case with those women fawning all over Ray Charles? He couldn't see them. It never occurred to me before. I really don't have an answer to this question. That's why I asked it. :dunce:

As an aside, I have to share that the one kid of the "brats" in CATCF that I really didn't think was all that bratty was Augustus. I know he was obsessed with eating, but I rather sympathized with him. :-/ I've been there. And I'm rather obsessed with other things in my life, too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]